http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-973...g=2547-1_3-0-5

One of the most popular questions regarding the Apple iPhone asks whether Apple will sell unlocked models. So far, the consensus has been that such a move is unlikely, but much to our amazement, we noticed today that PureMobile.com, a online cell phone retailer, is touting unlocked iPhones on its Web site. It appears to be the 8GB version of the phone in black (is there any other color?).
    06-21-2007 08:12 PM
    ^ ah, most excellent if that holds true....so, which carrier's sims would work with the iPhone?
    06-21-2007 08:50 PM
    How will the visual voice mail work without being on AT&T's servers?
    06-21-2007 11:48 PM
    How will the visual voice mail work without being on AT&T's servers?
    Simple, it won't.

This is just people making promises they won't be able to keep. There will be no unlocked iPhones and Apple won't let someone else sell them for long (and neither will AT&T who spent how many millions to get the exclusive?). I'm willing to bet it has an authentication system through Apple's servers...
    06-22-2007 02:45 AM
    that sucks. I wonder if sprint will ever get them?? maybe 2nd gen?
    06-22-2007 04:05 AM
    This is just people making promises they won't be able to keep. There will be no unlocked iPhones and Apple won't let someone else sell them for long (and neither will AT&T who spent how many millions to get the exclusive?). I'm willing to bet it has an authentication system through Apple's servers...
    According to the Boston Globe today iPhone customers will be able to cancel their contracts with AT&T for $175:

http://www.boston.com/business/perso...will_cost_175/

I'm not familiar with how this is done in the US, but might one expect that the phone would be unlocked as a part of this process?
    06-22-2007 04:22 AM
    So basically the phone is $775 contract free? Thats not too bad at all.

Surur
    06-22-2007 05:10 AM
    how much is a mogul?
    06-22-2007 08:18 AM
    My theory is that these phones will be "locked" to AT&T if you want to use the phone functionality, but that you may not be required to activate it all. I have a feeling that you'll be able to walk out of an Apple store with one without it being activated at all. And I also predict that most of the non-phone related functionality will be active in this non-activated state. If I'm right, it will be interesting to see how many people choose to buy/use one in this manner.
    06-22-2007 08:36 AM
    If I'm right, it will be interesting to see how many people choose to buy/use one in this manner.
    That's an awful lot of money for a widescreen video iPod.
    06-22-2007 08:43 AM
    If you watch those demos closely, you have to believe that a lot of the processing is backoffice on AT&T's big iron. You may be able to go to other GSM carriers (I'd bet there will definitely be a way to use overseas for voice at least - who can afford AT&T's data roaming rates in the first place), but a lot fo the funtionality will disapppear (other than iPod which is local).
    06-22-2007 09:42 AM
    you have to believe that a lot of the processing is backoffice on AT&T's big iron.
    Even when using Wifi?
    06-22-2007 10:02 AM
    A 4/8GB iPod at that!

Then again, never underestimate the power of peer-pressure....
    06-22-2007 10:04 AM
    Yeah, but it would also be the only iPod with a large (compared to other iPods), widescreen with WiFi. And the LifeDrive sold for $400-500 when it came out, right?
    06-22-2007 10:07 AM
    Never stopped anyone from plunking down premium $$$ for Apple products.

I bet a lot of people go that router...they just want the cool new Apple PMP with Wi-fi. The phone is secondary.
    06-22-2007 10:46 AM
    Never stopped anyone from plunking down premium $$$ for Apple products.
    Replace "Apple iPhone" with "Gucci handbag" and it all makes sense.
    06-22-2007 10:51 AM
    my opinion: Apple stores will not be programming the phones and writing up contracts (at&t), that is unless they instituted in-store point of sale systems to do so.....i'd bet money on it that they haven't.
    06-22-2007 10:53 AM
    my opinion: Apple stores will not be programming the phones and writing up contracts (at&t), that is unless they instituted in-store point of sale systems to do so.....i'd bet money on it that they haven't.
    I agree...Apple does not want to be in the phone provisioning business.

They will sell it to you and tell you to call AT&T to activate.
    06-22-2007 10:55 AM
    I agree...Apple does not want to be in the phone provisioning business.

They will sell it to you and tell you to call AT&T to activate.
    I wouldn't doubt that the Apple stores will sell it HIGHER than the AT&T stores. You would then get a rebate to bring the price back to 499/599 once you activated it and signed a 2 year deal with AT&T.
    06-22-2007 03:01 PM
    how much is a mogul?
    $399 with 2 year contract.

$15 unlimited 3g data.

It'll be $350 or $299 by early fall, guaranteed. Sprint always does that.
    06-22-2007 06:06 PM
    $399 just about equals $400.....isn't that the same price of the 4gb iPhone? can't argue the data costs....future discounted price? you're going to guarantee that the mogul will be $350 or $299 at a much later date? that's a $51 Spread!!! c'mon! even my little boy could predict that!

the problem with what you state is that Sprint coverage/service stinks for so many of us. in fact, it isn't even an option for some. i feel compelled to use another one of these just so you understand my friendly and good natured tone.

regards
    06-22-2007 08:57 PM
    I wouldn't doubt that the Apple stores will sell it HIGHER than the AT&T stores. You would then get a rebate to bring the price back to 499/599 once you activated it and signed a 2 year deal with AT&T.
    I think it's been pretty clearly communicated that the iPhone is not being subsidized and will be priced the same no matter where you buy it. Whether or not activation will be required at point of sale (or at all) is still unknown.
    06-22-2007 09:17 PM
    $399 just about equals $400.....isn't that the same price of the 4gb iPhone? can't argue the data costs....future discounted price? you're going to guarantee that the mogul will be $350 or $299 at a much later date? that's a $51 Spread!!! c'mon! even my little boy could predict that!

the problem with what you state is that Sprint coverage/service stinks for so many of us. in fact, it isn't even an option for some. i feel compelled to use another one of these just so you understand my friendly and good natured tone.

regards
    4GB iPhone is $500 with service. Unless there has been a price drop already.
    06-22-2007 09:45 PM
    $399 just about equals $400.....isn't that the same price of the 4gb iPhone?
    Umm...4gb iPhone is $499 and 8gb is $599. You still haven't figured that out yet?
    06-22-2007 09:45 PM
    Those of you that buy unlocked iPhones(if that is even true) will be sorely disappointed at what you will get for that kind of dough. It will severely hamper many of the best features of the phone. I can't elaborate now, but I will after the 6/29 launch. The fact that activations are happening through iTunes should be a big clue that unlocked=no joy. So don't let these guys or anyone else rip you off.
    06-22-2007 10:08 PM
127 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD