Online retailer promises unlocked iPhones

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Archie made a guess of 40 voice and 20 unlimited data. $60. Bingo, he hit the total low end price. (with 15 minutes a day talk time, and limited SMS messages).

I don't think anyone discredited this...
You did. Everyone that posted in that thread did with the exception of oalvarez just now.

However, I guessed the overall two year cost for the 8GB iPhone and a $100/month plan (which most would get ~45 min/day). And I did this before Archie. Yet he discredits it to no end...
You are spinning. You said the iPhone would cost $3000 for the 2 years. You can break that down in a hundread different ways to fit the multiple phone plans and options and the various phone pricings.

I however, broke the phone plan pricing down to just what it would take to activate the iPhone. I left no room for creative interpretation.[/QUOTE]

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
You did. Everyone that posted in that thread did with the exception of oalvarez just now.

You are spinning. You said the iPhone would cost $3000 for the 2 years. You can break that down in a hundread different ways to fit the multiple phone plans and options and the various phone pricings.

I however, broke the phone plan pricing down to just what it would take to activate the iPhone. I left no room for creative interpretation.
[/QUOTE]

Again, show where it was discredited. Having a different viewpoint does not equal discredited.

The iPhone does cost $3,000 for 2 years...assuming an 8GB version and $100/month plan (which is typical of medium use).

No spin, just a breakdown of costs.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
the point is it doesn't have to cost that much. you are finding the iteration that validates your claim. that much is obvious.

it doesn't cost 3,000, it only does if you want it to.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
the point is it doesn't have to cost that much. you are finding the iteration that validates your claim. that much is obvious.

It doesn't cost 3,000, it only does if you want it to.

It doesn't cost $1,940, only if you want it to. (but that is the mimimum; actually higher with activation fees and taxes).

"iteration that validates claim" - um, no. I said what it would be for someone who got the 8GB one (who is really going to buy the 4GB if they have a choice?), and the cost of 1,000 min a month, which to me, is an avergae use of cell phone.

Anyway, if you want ot get picky, there is no voice/data separation in the pricing...so technically, Archie was wrong - but his guess of total cost was correct. I am not discrediting that.

Keep trying, Buttercup.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
It doesn't cost $1,940, only if you want it to. (but that is the mimimum; actually higher with activation fees and taxes).

"iteration that validates claim" - um, no. I said what it would be for someone who got the 8GB one (who is really going to buy the 4GB if they have a choice?), and the cost of 1,000 min a month, which to me, is an avergae use of cell phone.

Anyway, if you want ot get picky, there is no voice/data separation in the pricing...so technically, Archie was wrong - but his guess of total cost was correct. I am not discrediting that.

Keep trying, Buttercup.
Really?

I just cut and paste this bit below from Apple's website. It says:
"Want to keep your current voice plan, you can just add an iPhone Data Plan with unlimited data (email and web) and Visual Voicemail for just $20 per month."​

So let's see it... you eating crow that is.

Come on.

I wan to see you poop feathers.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Really?

I just cut and paste this bit below from Apple's website. It says:
"Want to keep your current voice plan, you can just add an iPhone Data Plan with unlimited data (email and web) and Visual Voicemail for just $20 per month."​

So let's see it... you eating crow that is.

Come on.

I wan to see you poop feathers.

I was talking about total cost for new customers, not existing. But that said, you called it...$20 for unlimited EDGE.

You guessed correctly. Congrats.

I never said what the per month data cost would be, so there's no crow to eat. If I had said "it will be $50 a month", then I would.

Generally eating crow (on TC at least) refers to admitting when you asserted something that was later proven wrong. (You know, like claiming BT 1.1 and Wi-Fi won't work on the Intel chipset, that sort of thing.)

But if you define eating crow as acknowleding that someone else guessed correctly, then yum yum yum, <grunt>....there's a turd for you.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
So at the end of the day, it looks like not too much has changed since last week. For the majority of people, the iPhone will look just as attractive or unattractive as it did to them last week.
That's a very good summary. Like you said, it's not a horrible plan but not a great plan. AT&T were smart to keep it relatively reasonable. It's enough to make you ponder if it is worth it, but not enough to dissuade many from going ahead.

The next big rhetorical question: What if a 3g model comes out? Then what happens to the data plans/rates? Do these get bumped down, or the 3g get bumped up?

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
That's a very good summary. Like you said, it's not a horrible plan but not a great plan. AT&T were smart to keep it relatively reasonable. It's enough to make you ponder if it is worth it, but not enough to dissuade many from going ahead.

The next big rhetorical question: What if a 3g model comes out? Then what happens to the data plans/rates? Do these get bumped down, or the 3g get bumped up?

I'm under the theory that the reason it is cheaper than the pda plan is because they do not have 3G to offer, like most other pda-phones do. We'll see when the 3G phone comes out I guess, I've been wrong before...

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
right...do any other carriers have tiered pricing for the different bandwidths? wonderin' as well.

When Sprint made vision -> Power vision (EV-DO) they added 5 bucks/month. That's the only one I remember off-hand, I wasn't an AT&T customer when they added UMTS

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
When Sprint made vision -> Power vision (EV-DO) they added 5 bucks/month. That's the only one I remember off-hand, I wasn't an AT&T customer when they added UMTS
Yup, that's right.

Vision = $10 month
PowerVision (3g) = $15, $20 and $25 depending on the "feature set" you chose, however, on WM devices, only the $15 plan was needed since a lot of Sprint's lame services do not work on WM (thankfully).

If you had the $10 plan you were grandfathered in at that rate even for a PV device (I still pay $10 a month and have used the 6700, Q and 700wx).

But Sprint operates very differently in this regard from other companies. I mean their only data plan is unlimited--no mb counting.

Maybe they'll grandfather people in at the higher rate? Who knows.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Yup, that's right.

Vision = $10 month
PowerVision (3g) = $15, $20 and $25 depending on the "feature set" you chose, however, on WM devices, only the $15 plan was needed since a lot of Sprint's lame services do not work on WM (thankfully).

If you had the $10 plan you were grandfathered in at that rate even for a PV device (I still pay $10 a month and have used the 6700, Q and 700wx).

But Sprint operates very differently in this regard from other companies. I mean their only data plan is unlimited--no mb counting.

Maybe they'll grandfather people in at the higher rate? Who knows.

Sprint EVDO (unlimited) can be had for as low as $5 a month.

Really are to beat plans like this (esp. if you don't use a lot of minutes and mostly data):

Three (3) Treos, sharing 800 minutes, unlimited EVDO, text messaging, nights and weekends.

$60 bucks a month. Pretty darn cheap.

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
AT&T is essentially pricing the iPhone's unlimited data at $20/month, which is the same as their "smartphone" unlimited data add-on (as compared to their "PDA/Blackberry" unlimited data add-on, which I think is about $40/month). I don't think they're doing this because it lacks 3G, which I believe many simpler smartphones are capable of. Rather, they're doing this because of the target market, which is the mass-market (though it could be argued that at $500-600, the iPhone is priced rather high for the mass-market). More to the point, they price the PDA/Blackberry plan at $40/month because it's targeted at business customers, many of which can expense it and so AT&T can "get away with" charging more for that data plan.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Sprint EVDO (unlimited) can be had for as low as $5 a month.

Really are to beat plans like this (esp. if you don't use a lot of minutes and mostly data):

Three (3) Treos, sharing 800 minutes, unlimited EVDO, text messaging, nights and weekends.

$60 bucks a month. Pretty darn cheap.
That's an awesome deal, provided the service doesn't suck in "your" area.

It does by me :thumbsdn:

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
and not meaning to agree with Mac as often as i might but the same holds true in my locale. not being able to make calls from your own home, place of work, or popular destinations really make it tough to justify. hec, i'm not sure i'd want it if it were free. but hey, that's just one user in one location, but it is what it is.

CPL Radar

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but do those plan rates seem a little expensive? I have 500 minutes, unlimited data, unlimited texts, unlimited nights and weekends at 7:00, unlimited sprint-sprint, america roaming included, and a whole slew of other things listed, that I have no idea as to what they are, for $30.00 a month, plus the illegal PA cell-phone tax which will probably be going away soon.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2