...Do you really believe that there are *that* many people who commit to a 2-year contract with an expensive monthly rate for an already expensive phone? Do you believe that Jobs and AT&T are completely out of touch with this reality? ....
    Yes.

Yes.

Apple and AT&T see themselves as Lexus and Cadillac, not Toyota and Chevy. My bet is a $39.99 unlimited data plan ON TOP OF whatever minutes you can stand to pay for above that.:thumbsdn:

UPDATE: Oh well, Surur shot me down on this one. $20 more than the standard 900 minute voice plan. Man, I got to learn to type faster.
    06-26-2007 09:46 AM
    Unlocked phones get a blow as it seems activation ANd contract required for ALl features including the iPod function..unless some tech genius can crack it!
    06-26-2007 09:58 AM
    Well, the details of the price plans are out.

In some ways I think ScottR was right, as $60 is a lot closer to $45 than $80, but on the other hand 450 minutes is a bit low...

Surur
    And so it goes. surur chooses to ignore the fact that I was only off by a penny in saying 59.98 for the total.
    06-26-2007 10:46 AM
    Archie, I would NEVER ignore you <3

Surur
    06-26-2007 10:52 AM
    I would agree with Mal and guess 40-50 bucks, to coincide with their pda plan.

Archie saying 19.99 is way too optimistic. not that I'm surprised
    You should have agreed with me.
    06-26-2007 11:14 AM
    I am estimating a good usable number of minutes (1,000 or so) and unlimited data at $100 a month (inc taxes).

That is not outlandish and probably very close to reality. So that's 2,400+600.

My bad...it's actually $3,000.
    Your "bad" was the fact that you discounted what I said.

I was correct. You were not.
    06-26-2007 11:16 AM
    Your "bad" was the fact that you discounted what I said.

I was correct. You were not.
    Archie,

Don't see how I was wrong...I said it would be around $100 a month for a fair amount of minutes (medium users).

So at $3,000, I was exactly spot on.

Even at the cheapest plan, it's $2,040 for two years.
    06-26-2007 11:29 AM
    Cheapest plan with the cheapest phone is $1940.
    06-26-2007 11:43 AM
    The plan is still not the problem in my book..it's the phone. Why didn't they make it accessible to the "consumerr" they say it's aimed at? Imagine if it was $4350-450 for the two..they'd have swarmed the market in months and any loss of $200 per handset would've been made up in sheer number of customers! I'm going by the fact that earlier reports say ito labour etc the iPhone actually costs about $250 to produce/handset.....

Despite ppl labelling palm a dinosaur it's one good move they made with the treo 680 - made a smartphone available to poor geezeers like me!
    06-26-2007 12:04 PM
    Cheapest plan with the cheapest phone is $1940.
    That is true..I was projecting that someone would go with the 8GB iPhone, not the 4GB.
    06-26-2007 12:05 PM
    Archie,

Don't see how I was wrong...I said it would be around $100 a month for a fair amount of minutes (medium users).

So at $3,000, I was exactly spot on.

You can spin it however you like. Still doesn't change the fact that you were instructing people to think of the iPhone as a $3000 phone.

You said that you were closer to reality and my $1940 information wasn't.
    06-26-2007 12:08 PM
    That is true..I was projecting that someone would go with the 8GB iPhone, not the 4GB.
    You're an *****. The model doesn't add $1200 to you guesstimation of an iPhone plan. The fact is you can get 2 years of unlimited data and voice and all that for $1440. Then add on the $499 or $599 depending on which phone you want.

This is to say nothing of the even cheaper options available by merely adding the $20 a month (for unlimited data and such) to a person's existing voice plan.
    06-26-2007 12:15 PM
    You're an *****.
    Mr Pot, meet Mr Kettle.
    06-26-2007 12:31 PM
    You're an *****.
    Dude, although your statement might have some logic to it, who is really going to take you seriously after the first 3 words of that post? My guess is no one. Again, that doesn't belong here.
    06-26-2007 01:27 PM
    Dude, although your statement might have some logic to it, who is really going to take you seriously after the first 3 words of that post? My guess is no one. Again, that doesn't belong here.
    If he's dodging the issue he is conveniently doing so based on spin... or he is an ***** for not understanding the comment. Since he insists that everthing he says is the truth, I have no choice but to address him as an *****.:evil:

Now; in fact we all know that he probably really is not an ***** but he is begging for the title if he doesn't acknowledge that I might be correct or ignores my points. What else am I to think.
    06-26-2007 02:02 PM
    Since he insists that everything he says is the truth
    Pot and kettle again? This is getting old fast..
    06-26-2007 02:14 PM
    Well, it looks like my prediction of a super-attractive voice/data plan was wrong, while others who predicted that iPhone users would be raped by an overpriced plan were also wrong. The end result is that they're touting these "special" plans which are really no different than their standard voice plans with the $20 smartphone unlimited data plan. Could've been better, could've been worse.

Some fine print on the AT&T site has also been mentioned elsewhere which suggests that the iPhone's iPod capabilities will be disabled on non-activated phones. I'm still waiting for the official release (or an official announcement) to see if this is true but, if so, it would also prove false my guess that the phones might be fully usable as internet tables/iPods without ever being activated. Still, it doesn't surprise me, either, and the market of people who would want to buy/use an inactivated iPhone would have been pretty small anyway.

On a positive note, it looks like I was right that existing AT&T customers could buy the iPhone without having to worry about getting out of their existing contract or extending their current contract by another 2 years.

So at the end of the day, it looks like not too much has changed since last week. For the majority of people, the iPhone will look just as attractive or unattractive as it did to them last week.

The one outstanding question I'm most concerned/curious about is whether the virtual keyboard can be used in landscape mode.
    06-26-2007 02:19 PM
    Archie likes to directly insult people whenever he is faced with facts or a differing opinion. Sad, just sad.
    06-26-2007 02:32 PM
    ... or he is an ***** for not understanding the comment. Since he insists that everthing he says is the truth, I have no choice but to address him as an *****.
    If this is typical of your contribution to the net, please consider the cost advantages of cancelling your ISP contract.

Please. Grow up, get a life, or go away.

[Note lack of smilie]
    06-26-2007 02:32 PM
    You're an *****. The model doesn't add $1200 to you guesstimation of an iPhone plan. The fact is you can get 2 years of unlimited data and voice and all that for $1440. Then add on the $499 or $599 depending on which phone you want.

This is to say nothing of the even cheaper options available by merely adding the $20 a month (for unlimited data and such) to a person's existing voice plan.
    2 years unlimited VOICE? Are you sure you want to present that way?

Remember, this is the iPHONE, not the iWebbrowser. Minutes matter.
    06-26-2007 02:34 PM
    If he's dodging the issue he is conveniently doing so based on spin... or he is an ***** for not understanding the comment. Since he insists that everthing he says is the truth, I have no choice but to address him as an *****.:evil:

Now; in fact we all know that he probably really is not an ***** but he is begging for the title if he doesn't acknowledge that I might be correct or ignores my points. What else am I to think.
    I dodge nothing...I present opinion and fact. The TC reader can decide for themselves. More over, I admit when I am wrong, and eat crow, and have done so before. The only other TC member I have seen do this is dstrauss.

"I have no choice but to address him as an *****" - So now I control you, Archie? You have no control over yourself? This indicates a pyschological issue, but this is not the forum for that.
    06-26-2007 02:39 PM
    The one outstanding question I'm most concerned/curious about is whether the virtual keyboard can be used in landscape mode.
    I though we have already seen pictures of a landscape keyboard.

Surur
    06-26-2007 02:44 PM
    Well, the details of the price plans are out.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/06/26plans.html

In some ways I think ScottR was right, as $60 is a lot closer to $45 than $80, but on the other hand 450 minutes is a bit low, I think forcing most people to go for the $80 plan. The 200 texts are a bit low too.

Surur
    Forget the 450min being a bit low the 200sms per month is a bit low on all the plans.
    06-26-2007 02:47 PM
    not sure what "super attractive" means but i definitely find the announced voice/data plan to be right in line with where they should be.

archie was very much right, not sure why the insistent behavior to discredit him. many of you were wrong in your $ estimations, plain and simple.
    06-26-2007 02:48 PM
    not sure what "super attractive" means but i definitely find the announced voice/data plan to be right in line with where they should be.

archie was very much right, not sure why the insistent behavior to discredit him. many of you were wrong in your $ estimations, plain and simple.
    Archie made a guess of 40 voice and 20 unlimited data. $60. Bingo, he hit the total low end price. (with 15 minutes a day talk time, and limited SMS messages).

I don't think anyone discredited this...

However, I guessed the overall two year cost for the 8GB iPhone and a $100/month plan (which most would get ~45 min/day). And I did this before Archie. Yet he discredits it to no end...

So we are both "right", just depends what you view you take.

I still think price is no object among the iPhone crowd.
    06-26-2007 03:00 PM
127 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD