I'm still looking at the 8525. I have small hands, BUT need glasses or contacts, and I do send a lot of emails. The wide screen and full keyboard might help. We will see. You know me, I try almost everything, LOL!
    06-23-2007 09:48 AM
    but are your emails "important" as you say?

have a great weekend.....less than 7 days away!!!
    06-23-2007 09:49 AM
    They are for the most part. Business related. I'd say 98% are.

So you'll be at the Apple or ATT store on Friday to test the phone? I wonder if I should wait due to possible big crowds.
    06-23-2007 10:03 AM
    I'm still looking at the 8525. I have small hands, BUT need glasses or contacts, and I do send a lot of emails. The wide screen and full keyboard might help. We will see. You know me, I try almost everything, LOL!
    Take this with a huge teaspoon of salt, but I just tried, and returned, the 8525 that AT&T had on the $99 sale two weeks ago. I am back to my Blackjack again and much happier. The 8525 is a nice PDA, with a spacious keyboard, but it just was not a convenient Phone/PDA. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the smallness of the Blackjack, but it's also an interface thing. The Blackjack has become a great one-handed device when you blend the jog dial/launcher, and keyboard. I always felt like I was fumbling for the stylus to do anything on the 8525.

What I missed above all was from the home screen simply typing the first few letter of a name and up popped the correct contact list to call. No need to launch contacts and type or scroll for a name. Granted, the 8525 was snappier than the Blackjack (can't beat that 400mhz processor) and web pages looked better on the larger screen; but 3G was equally as fast on the Blackjack. After a couple of days,I found myself swapping the SIM card back to the Blackjack for good lengths of time and then swapping back to force myself to give the 8525 a chance.

If you really like the 8125, you'll love the 8525; but I'll take the Blackjack any day. Sorry for the OT rant.
    06-23-2007 10:17 AM
    Just bought a Blackjack.
    So maybe I made the right choice? We'll see. People are selling 8525s for under $400 now. I could still try one and resell it. 8525 definitely qualifies as a PDA with a phone more than the other way around, LOL! I knew that from trying the 8125.

$99 would have been great though! Of course I bet they wanted a contract extension.
    06-23-2007 10:38 AM
    Just bought a Blackjack.
    So maybe I made the right choice? We'll see. People are selling 8525s for under $400 now. I could still try one and resell it. 8525 definitely qualifies as a PDA with a phone more than the other way around, LOL! I knew that from trying the 8125.

$99 would have been great though! Of course I bet they wanted a contract extension.
    It was a refurb with 2 yr contract extension (although it truly looked and operated like new stock to me). Maybe that's why I was so hard on it, because adding two years to my prison sentence demands a better user experience than I was having.

Be sure to learn and use the launcher app that works with the jog dial. You can also use Samsung's custom today screen to make the home page much more functional. I think it is all the value added software that Samsung included that has made smartphone (as opposed to PPC) a good experience.
    06-23-2007 10:46 AM
    Just bought a Blackjack.

No go put WM6 on it...

I love the blackjack, its size, the fact that wm6 was leaked, the Samsung shortcuts they customized that are FAR underrated, etc. The D-pad sucks though, and the keyboard input is a bit delayed (seems to be the case with most phones now, go figure).

I still prefer the Treo, because of the more versatile OS, but Blackjack is a close 2nd and the 8525 hasn't been on my waist for a few months...

I think it is all the value added software that Samsung included that has made smartphone (as opposed to PPC) a good experience.
    Couldn't say it better
    06-23-2007 11:49 AM
    Pattycerts

You hit the nail on the head. Samsung's shortcuts and added software (like launcher on the jog dial) make it a far superior version of Smartphone. I've been truly surprised the reviewers have overlooked all of that; but I have to admit that Samsung's marketing department really let the software engineers down on this one. Add teh fact that the latest version of VoiceCommand supports the phone well, it is a pretty good bet. I just couldn't go back to my Treo, or even the thicker 8525, after this.
    06-23-2007 12:17 PM
    I keep seeing mixed reactions to the leaked WM6 upgrade. I may wait for the official from Samsung(if there's one coming), so I don't brick the phone.
    06-23-2007 12:44 PM
    I keep seeing mixed reactions to the leaked WM6 upgrade. I may wait for the official from Samsung(if there's one coming), so I don't brick the phone.
    I'm holding out for the "real thing" - at last I'll have someone to blame for bricking my phone other than me.

Have to admit, though, that Docs-to-Go has been a good (but expensive) solution for most of my needs. Not sure what WM6 is really going to bring to the party, especially if some of the rumored changes (removing DUN) are true about AT&T's cooked WM6 version.
    06-23-2007 12:55 PM
    Oh oh, ATT and their restrictions again!!! If that's true, no thanks!
    06-23-2007 12:59 PM
    Oh oh, ATT and their restrictions again!!! If that's true, no thanks!
    That might just be WM6. WM6 replaces DUN with Internet Sharing, a different way of connecting a laptop to the intetnet.

Surur
    06-23-2007 01:01 PM
    This is the same reason guys don't like dating girls with large hands
    I don't ususally get chuckles out of thread jokes but this one got me:hmm:
    06-23-2007 01:30 PM
    True, but no one bricked their phones during the upgrade, and it is very easy to downgrade back if you have the update Samsung released with the AT&T badging (its available on their support site).

The main reason I did it was because outlook now deletes mail off of IMAP servers. WM5 did not have that option at least on the treo & blackjack's. It is a bit of a memory hog, which I thought was the price of beta, but dash users say the same with their official wm6 OS. It looks pretty too
    06-23-2007 03:05 PM
    Outlook on WM5 does NOT delete emails of the IMAP server unless you tell it to.
    06-23-2007 04:38 PM
    Outlook on WM5 does NOT delete emails of the IMAP server unless you tell it to.
    Which is why I upgraded to wm6.
    06-23-2007 05:30 PM
    Patty,

I don't follow...Pocket Outlook on WM5 and 6 are the same in terms of pop/imap functionality.
    06-23-2007 05:38 PM
    Patty,

I don't follow...Pocket Outlook on WM5 and 6 are the same in terms of pop/imap functionality.
    There is no option to "delete messages on server when I delete them" in WM5, but that is an option in WM6. That is true on the treo and blackjack at least, not sure about other devices with higher AKU's

Or I just never found it...
    06-23-2007 06:16 PM
93 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD