iPhone fakery - looks smaller with GIANT hands

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
i'm convinced that anyone who owns a slideout does not type with great frequency. they may type more lengthy messages but they definitely don't type frequently. if they do, they own a Treo or Blackberry and not a slideout. or is it that they "have to have wifi" and a big screen and don't mind the additional confusion of a slideout?

give and take...opportunity costs i suppose.

But surely thats quite legitimate? If your typing volume is high and the frequency low, then a slide-out with a larger keyboard would be ideal. Its not better or worse, just different.

Surur

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
Exactly.

I've only seen a handful of the ads to date (Internet, and YouTube). Have they shown any text input ads?

"Text input; we don't need no stinkin' text input..." for heaven's sake its an iPhone...all we need to do is "swish and flick" and all the magic will be done for us by Mr. Potter...I mean Mr. Jobs.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
But surely thats quite legitimate? If your typing volume is high and the frequency low, then a slide-out with a larger keyboard would be ideal. Its not better or worse, just different.

Surur

i agree...but anyone who does type with great frequency and uses a slideout device for such is foolish in my opinion. or like i said, they'd rather have the fumbling/bumbling experience in order to take advantage of a larger screen.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
i agree...but anyone who does type with great frequency and uses a slideout device for such is foolish in my opinion. or like i said, they'd rather have the fumbling/bumbling experience in order to take advantage of a larger screen.

Why does everything have to be all or nothing? If some prefer slide out (Hermes), others on the front (Blackjack, RIM), or on screen (Apple) what dfference does it make. Why is someone "foolish" because they have a different opinion than you do? And frankly, in this context, what does your opinion matter?

Defend your choices and make suggestions for improvements, but you don't need to ridicule someone for theirs. That's what the great American market system is all about - if there's not enough support it goes bankrupt. If there are enough buyers to float their boat, more power to them. :rolleyes:

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I think you have to ask this question: if the iPhone had a slide-out keyboard, would he be complaining about it or defending it?

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
my opinion is such. perhaps "foolish" is a bit strong/dramatic. but i do believe there are so many better choices (and they're obvious) than a slideout for the person who does have to type on a frequent basis. i personally can not understand why one would want to own one with having those needs. if those people want to own a slideout given their needs to type frequently, great! i personally think it's foolish to do so. i can think that. i don't care that you don't agree.

unclejung

Dec 8, 2004
Visit site
Surur is right. It looks a lot smaller in the new ads. I did a double take when I saw the new ads and said to myself "it's smaller than my first impression a few months ago." Then I saw Surer post.

But Surur, you could also argue that the first ads was fakery because it made the phone look bigger. A lot of people with big hands can't stand small phones.

May be Apple should make small, medium, large, xlarge iPhones.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
I think you have to ask this question: if the iPhone had a slide-out keyboard, would he be complaining about it or defending it?

jeeze, that's easy, i'd be complaining about it as typing is something i do frequently. i don't defend the iPhone, i simply think it's a cool and much more modern device than the Treo. as for a business tool i don't think it will suffice.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
But Surur, you could also argue that the first ads was fakery because it made the phone look bigger. A lot of people with big hands can't stand small phones..

Thats one way of looking at it. Its a kind of cup half-full/half-empty perspective :)

Surur

zetsurin

Jun 1, 2005
Visit site
This is quite precious - Treo owners mocking the size of a phone! My friends still laugh at the size of my Treo. I suspect we have a few glass houses going on here.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
This is quite precious - Treo owners mocking the size of a phone! My friends still laugh at the size of my Treo. I suspect we have a few glass houses going on here.

My current phone is in the middle.

iphonevshtctouch.jpg

Anyway, the mocking is about the attempts to hide the size, not the size itself.

Surur

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Surur,

You chose the touch over the universal? How the hell do you type on that on-screen keyboard????? HAHA

(Back to topic) I personally do not like the slide-out keyboards myself. I did find, however, typing was MUCH EASIER AND FASTER vs the external, smaller keys. But one-handed is out of the question, and sliding the keyboard out adds to the time a bit. Which is why I prefer the external treo-style keyboard.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
In another thread didn't you also say you have an HTC Universal? Noticeable that you haven't included that beast in the size comparison! :)

I also have an HTC Vox and HP 6915, not to mention a XDA Mini. I have many smartphones, I cant really include them all, can I?

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
You chose the touch over the universal? How the hell do you type on that on-screen keyboard????? HAHA
Fair enough, two devices for two different purposes. One for comparing to iPhone when talking about size, and one for comparing to iPhone when talking about text input :evil:

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Fair enough, two devices for two different purposes. One for comparing to iPhone when talking about size, and one for comparing to iPhone when talking about text input :evil:

Just goes to show there are no perfect device :)

Surur

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox