But Surur, you could also argue that the first ads was fakery because it made the phone look bigger. A lot of people with big hands can't stand small phones..
    Thats one way of looking at it. Its a kind of cup half-full/half-empty perspective

Surur
    06-22-2007 12:40 PM
    This is quite precious - Treo owners mocking the size of a phone! My friends still laugh at the size of my Treo. I suspect we have a few glass houses going on here.
    06-22-2007 12:55 PM
    This is quite precious - Treo owners mocking the size of a phone! My friends still laugh at the size of my Treo. I suspect we have a few glass houses going on here.
    My current phone is in the middle.

Anyway, the mocking is about the attempts to hide the size, not the size itself.

Surur
    06-22-2007 01:00 PM
    My current phone is in the middle.
    In another thread didn't you also say you have an HTC Universal? Noticeable that you haven't included that beast in the size comparison!
    06-22-2007 01:26 PM
    Surur,

You chose the touch over the universal? How the hell do you type on that on-screen keyboard????? HAHA

(Back to topic) I personally do not like the slide-out keyboards myself. I did find, however, typing was MUCH EASIER AND FASTER vs the external, smaller keys. But one-handed is out of the question, and sliding the keyboard out adds to the time a bit. Which is why I prefer the external treo-style keyboard.
    06-22-2007 01:28 PM
    In another thread didn't you also say you have an HTC Universal? Noticeable that you haven't included that beast in the size comparison!
    I also have an HTC Vox and HP 6915, not to mention a XDA Mini. I have many smartphones, I cant really include them all, can I?

Surur
    06-22-2007 01:32 PM
    You chose the touch over the universal? How the hell do you type on that on-screen keyboard????? HAHA
    Fair enough, two devices for two different purposes. One for comparing to iPhone when talking about size, and one for comparing to iPhone when talking about text input :evil:
    06-22-2007 01:33 PM
    Surur,

I am using both. The Universal goes into my bag, and the Touch in my shirt pocket.

Surur
    06-22-2007 01:33 PM
    Fair enough, two devices for two different purposes. One for comparing to iPhone when talking about size, and one for comparing to iPhone when talking about text input :evil:
    Just goes to show there are no perfect device

Surur
    06-22-2007 01:34 PM
    I also have an HTC Vox and HP 6915, not to mention a XDA Mini. I have many smartphones, I cant really include them all, can I?
    No, my last couple of posts are just pulling your leg.

OT How do you find the TouchFLO?
    06-22-2007 01:35 PM
    I am using both. The Universal goes into my bag, and the Touch in my shirt pocket.

Surur
    The Universal fits in your bag???

I have one (Universal) also, which I bought because att it was the only device with a cooked wm6 ROM, so I had to try it. Actually love the 640x480, but hate the size. Hate the no-3G in the US also, but I bought it cheap so its all good. I would definitely try the iPhone before the Touch though, the MS onscrren keyboard leaves a lot to be desired...
    06-22-2007 01:39 PM
    Its nice, but not half as cool as that IPhone tour just posted. Its pretty functional, and it does help with one handed use. It works on all scrollable pages. The device is pretty small (but the 2.8 inch screen is standard size for near all WM devices at the moment) so all parts of the screen can be reached with one hand. I found a Tengo keyboard plug-in which works pretty well for one-handed text entry, but grabbing the stylus is easier still.

Its a nice device, and the size is really really impressive. Battery life is very good. I'll be enjoying it for a while to come. The IPhone however looks pretty nice. Its no good as a smartphone, but will make a lovely toy.

Surur
    06-22-2007 01:44 PM
    The IPhone however looks pretty nice.
    Just feel the love
    06-22-2007 01:49 PM
    Its nice, but not half as cool as that IPhone tour just posted. Its pretty functional, and it does help with one handed use. It works on all scrollable pages. The device is pretty small (but the 2.8 inch screen is standard size for near all WM devices at the moment) so all parts of the screen can be reached with one hand. I found a Tengo keyboard plug-in which works pretty well for one-handed text entry, but grabbing the stylus is easier still.

Its a nice device, and the size is really really impressive. Battery life is very good. I'll be enjoying it for a while to come. The IPhone however looks pretty nice. Its no good as a smartphone, but will make a lovely toy.

Surur
    TenGo thumb is awesome, I posted that in every hermes forum I post in and no one seemed to jump on though. More software lke that could do wonders for wm non-treo devices
    06-22-2007 01:51 PM
    Its nice, but not half as cool as that IPhone tour just posted.
    Agree about the tour (not the toy bit ). There's never been a device that looked as nice... on the web at least.

One more OT... Have you worked out what sort of screen is on the Touch?
    06-22-2007 01:55 PM
    One more OT... Have you worked out what sort of screen is on the Touch?
    Its definitely not capacitive. I think its a new kind of resistive screen.

Surur
    06-22-2007 02:04 PM
    I love the line in the tour "within a week you'll be typing faster on the iPhone than any other (phone) keyboard.

Somehow I doubt faster than the Treo or BB.

But it's a nice demo, no doubt.
    06-22-2007 02:37 PM
    I was struck by the sleek headphones - if that tiny gadget on his right handles audio playback and phone mic, it is a nice improvement over most...
    06-22-2007 03:03 PM
    So you compose email and text messages with one hand? I suppose you could, but unless you were an amputee, it's a Helluva lot easier to use two.

Edit: I should add entering text period, is much quicker with two hands. Memos, Calendar info, Contacts, etc...

I've texted with one hand before. Two hands is better but if one hand is full and someone wants a response, what're you gonna do?
    06-23-2007 07:58 AM
    i agree...but anyone who does type with great frequency and uses a slideout device for such is foolish in my opinion. or like i said, they'd rather have the fumbling/bumbling experience in order to take advantage of a larger screen.
    Advantages of slideouts:

People with big hands/fingers can use them without fumbling/bumbling. The fuller size and spaced keys are better.

The widescreen mode helps some people see better. Not everyone has sharp or 20/20 eyesight.

Typing with 2 hands on a full keyboard is indeed better if you have to send important emails. Better to be accurate, than send short choppy messages that look unprofessional.

Although I prefer not to always slide-out myself, I can see the benefits.
    06-23-2007 08:11 AM
    On topic: I just looked at the iPhone demo tour. I think the "model" with the bigger hands is that guy, LOL!
    06-23-2007 08:18 AM
    On topic: I just looked at the iPhone demo tour. I think the "model" with the bigger hands is that guy, LOL!
    You mean "Gorilla-guy?" Teh Munk has competition!
    06-23-2007 08:44 AM
    Apple should be developing some sort of cool voice to text recognition software in the future. Kind of like a virtual secretary.

I wonder whether you can type in landscape mode and whether that is easier for limb-gifted individuals?
    06-23-2007 08:48 AM
    Advantages of slideouts:

People with big hands/fingers can use them without fumbling/bumbling. The fuller size and spaced keys are better.

The widescreen mode helps some people see better. Not everyone has sharp or 20/20 eyesight.

Typing with 2 hands on a full keyboard is indeed better if you have to send important emails. Better to be accurate, than send short choppy messages that look unprofessional.

Although I prefer not to always slide-out myself, I can see the benefits.

with all those benefits why not own one? maybe it's because you have small hands, sharp eyesight, and don't send important emails?

like i said "they're great for the person who has to type lengthy emails on an infrequent basis."
    06-23-2007 09:42 AM
    I'm surprised there is no voice dialing function. Most phones have had this for a while (some better than others).

I bet this comes in the next version.
    06-23-2007 09:46 AM
93 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD