Funny post surur. Who is holding that thing? The Hulk? Lurch? Andre the Giant?

I'm waiting for an ad that shows someone operating it with one hand.
    06-21-2007 10:40 PM
    Don't forget the Shuffle.
    Yup you just keep hitting the Next button until it calls the right person.

06-21-2007 10:42 PM
    This is the same reason guys don't like dating girls with large hands
    06-21-2007 10:45 PM
    Funny but useless thread. Why? Because surely they will hold it in their own hands before laying down $600 of their own. Hard for marlketing to overcome that experience.
    06-21-2007 11:51 PM
    Funny but useless thread. Why? Because surely they will hold it in their own hands before laying down $600 of their own. Hard for marlketing to overcome that experience.
    I don't know, people buy things on the net before seeing them all the time.

IMO I don't think it is a huge device. If you pay any attention to the marketing you won't expect it to be that small.
    06-21-2007 11:53 PM
    By the way HOW MANY PEOPLE SHELLED OUT $645 for a 700P from Palm when they first came out?

According to the boards a lot!
    blasphemy! do you have all of the scientific data to state such a thing? "a lot" is a term which you will have to validate with the appropriate statistical studies....do you expect us to believe your claims without such evidence?

i'm with you, believe me.....
    06-21-2007 11:54 PM

maybe the two of you should try stand-up?

it's all so ridiculous.
    06-21-2007 11:56 PM
    Surur is going to end up in a white room one day repeating the word "iphone" to himself over and over again while drooling on himself at this pace.

My bet? Surur is the FIRST in line to buy the iphone when it`s released.
    06-22-2007 12:20 AM

it's all so ridiculous.
    Its.... only... a....phone.
    06-22-2007 12:27 AM

it's all so ridiculous.
    Seriously. I have had the same debate about landscape slide-out keyboards. If you can't use a device with one hand it's pointless.
    06-22-2007 12:51 AM
    I anticipate quite a few standing in line already wont have a chance to hold one in their hands until they get home, and most who are buying online to avoid those queues wont have either.

Surur
    06-22-2007 02:30 AM
    The new Apple iPhone spokesperson:

*Back from the dead.
    06-22-2007 07:54 AM
    Seriously. I have had the same debate about landscape slide-out keyboards. If you can't use a device with one hand it's pointless.
    So you compose email and text messages with one hand? I suppose you could, but unless you were an amputee, it's a Helluva lot easier to use two.

Edit: I should add entering text period, is much quicker with two hands. Memos, Calendar info, Contacts, etc...
    06-22-2007 08:02 AM
    i'm convinced that anyone who owns a slideout does not type with great frequency. they may type more lengthy messages but they definitely don't type frequently. if they do, they own a Treo or Blackberry and not a slideout. or is it that they "have to have wifi" and a big screen and don't mind the additional confusion of a slideout?

give and take...opportunity costs i suppose.
    06-22-2007 08:12 AM
    i'm convinced that anyone who owns a slideout does not type with great frequency.
    Only every time I dialed my i730 - which was easy to slide open and dial one-handed.
    06-22-2007 08:17 AM
    i'm convinced that anyone who owns a slideout does not type with great frequency. they may type more lengthy messages but they definitely don't type frequently. if they do, they own a Treo or Blackberry and not a slideout. or is it that they "have to have wifi" and a big screen and don't mind the additional confusion of a slideout?

give and take...opportunity costs i suppose.
    But surely thats quite legitimate? If your typing volume is high and the frequency low, then a slide-out with a larger keyboard would be ideal. Its not better or worse, just different.

Surur
    06-22-2007 08:28 AM

Exactly.

I've only seen a handful of the ads to date (Internet, and YouTube). Have they shown any text input ads?
    06-22-2007 08:41 AM
    Exactly.

I've only seen a handful of the ads to date (Internet, and YouTube). Have they shown any text input ads?
    "Text input; we don't need no stinkin' text input..." for heaven's sake its an iPhone...all we need to do is "swish and flick" and all the magic will be done for us by Mr. Potter...I mean Mr. Jobs.
    06-22-2007 09:22 AM
    Only every time I dialed my i730 - which was easy to slide open and dial one-handed.
    You must be an amputee then
    06-22-2007 09:26 AM
    But surely thats quite legitimate? If your typing volume is high and the frequency low, then a slide-out with a larger keyboard would be ideal. Its not better or worse, just different.

Surur
    i agree...but anyone who does type with great frequency and uses a slideout device for such is foolish in my opinion. or like i said, they'd rather have the fumbling/bumbling experience in order to take advantage of a larger screen.
    06-22-2007 10:56 AM
    i agree...but anyone who does type with great frequency and uses a slideout device for such is foolish in my opinion. or like i said, they'd rather have the fumbling/bumbling experience in order to take advantage of a larger screen.
    Why does everything have to be all or nothing? If some prefer slide out (Hermes), others on the front (Blackjack, RIM), or on screen (Apple) what dfference does it make. Why is someone "foolish" because they have a different opinion than you do? And frankly, in this context, what does your opinion matter?

Defend your choices and make suggestions for improvements, but you don't need to ridicule someone for theirs. That's what the great American market system is all about - if there's not enough support it goes bankrupt. If there are enough buyers to float their boat, more power to them.
    06-22-2007 11:48 AM
    I think you have to ask this question: if the iPhone had a slide-out keyboard, would he be complaining about it or defending it?
    06-22-2007 11:55 AM
    my opinion is such. perhaps "foolish" is a bit strong/dramatic. but i do believe there are so many better choices (and they're obvious) than a slideout for the person who does have to type on a frequent basis. i personally can not understand why one would want to own one with having those needs. if those people want to own a slideout given their needs to type frequently, great! i personally think it's foolish to do so. i can think that. i don't care that you don't agree.
    06-22-2007 11:59 AM
    Surur is right. It looks a lot smaller in the new ads. I did a double take when I saw the new ads and said to myself "it's smaller than my first impression a few months ago." Then I saw Surer post.

But Surur, you could also argue that the first ads was fakery because it made the phone look bigger. A lot of people with big hands can't stand small phones.

May be Apple should make small, medium, large, xlarge iPhones.
    06-22-2007 12:03 PM
    I think you have to ask this question: if the iPhone had a slide-out keyboard, would he be complaining about it or defending it?
    jeeze, that's easy, i'd be complaining about it as typing is something i do frequently. i don't defend the iPhone, i simply think it's a cool and much more modern device than the Treo. as for a business tool i don't think it will suffice.
    06-22-2007 12:18 PM
93 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD