iPhone & youTube

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Id rather be in a gilded walled garden than a 17 century prison. Palm Os does not even have support for flash 6 and no flash streaming from a browser (something that should be a no brainer) while the i-Phone is getting flash Lite & looking better by the minute.
Indeed as of launch, no Flash so you are mistaken there (though I anticipate it will get it sooner than later, just not now).

Flash Lite is rolling out across devices (newer WM devices have it installed and use it for the homescreen for various plugins). Flash 6 is a) old b) very poor for streaming to mobile devices, hence why companies like Opera are making their own flash for mobile. It's just not feasible for mobile today, it's not a "no brainer" if you are a programmer, which I take it you are not.

As far as knocking Palm OS, correct me if I'm wrong, but with Kinoma Player 4 EX, can't you stream YouTube directly? And wasn't that able to be done months ago? Also, the new Youtube mobile works on the 700p/755p already too.

They have their faults but there are a lot of media options (CORE Player?) for PalmOS and WM. I think you need to check your facts.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
Id rather be in a gilded walled garden than a 17 century prison. Palm Os does not even have support for flash 6 and no flash streaming from a browser (something that should be a no brainer) while the i-Phone is getting flash Lite & looking better by the minute.

I hear ya...Palm OS is dead - 10 years old and counting....

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
I don't know if anyone has thought of this but Exchange has a browser interface that the iPhone can use for the extended functionality.

Not really a big deal though since calDAV is the bees-knees and blows Exchange out of the water for efficiency.

A browser interface doesn't give you push mail and the browser interface for Outlook sucks monkey balls as well. Especially if you aren't using IE. It would be much better to have your mail forwarded to Yahoo and get IMAP push (iPhone supports that, right?). But that is if your work don't mind you doing that. Also, currently Yahoo mail only will send a reply as a Yahoo address, you can pay for the right to have it appear from your domain I believe.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
Here's Apple's demo of YouTube on iPhone:

https://www.apple.com/iphone/internet/#mn_p

Plays full-screen, which is nice, and I presume means they've upped the resolution (usually 320 x 240?)

I noticed that the demo was prepared with the video already pre-loaded (look at the blue portion of the onscreen control). Will be VERY interesting to see how YouTube crawls out of an EDGE connection. My bet is the first person who uses one on the EDGE network and tries to scroll the New York Times home page like Jobs did in his demo will either (a) pull out all their hair, (b) throw the thing up against the wall in frustration, or (c) both. Even on a good EDGE connection, the internet on the Blackjack (at 70-120k) crawls by comparison. The difference when I'm on HSDPA is astounding.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, they HAVE to get 3G for this thing if anyone wants YouTube away from a Wifi connection. Still, it does have Wifi at least.

The Safari demo looks really nice, and I envy iPhone users for being able to save Google map bookmarks (why they didn't include that on the Palm version is a mystery to me). I'm still not convinced the soft keyboard is a great innovation though. A BT keyboard should help that out though.

Apps like the stock widget could easily be developed for Palm as well, if Palm did enough to inspire developers. There are already apps that have the functionality just maybe not the style (except GX-5 maybe).

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Apple has taken over from realplayer when it comes to crapware on your computer. If I have to kill the ridiculous ipodservice one more time (on a computer I have never attached an Ipod to) I will scream.

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I noticed that the demo was prepared with the video already pre-loaded (look at the blue portion of the onscreen control).
I'm not sure about that. Isn't the d/l progress in the top (non-blue) bar, the same bar that shows the progress in playing the video? I think the lower (blue) bar might be volume.

OTOH...

Will be VERY interesting to see how YouTube crawls out of an EDGE connection. My bet is the first person who uses one on the EDGE network and tries to scroll the New York Times home page like Jobs did in his demo will either (a) pull out all their hair, (b) throw the thing up against the wall in frustration, or (c) both. Even on a good EDGE connection, the internet on the Blackjack (at 70-120k) crawls by comparison. The difference when I'm on HSDPA is astounding.
...I agree completely with this. I hope they get the 3G version out asap... by the time it comes the UK would be nice :)

Charles@Kinoma

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
Malatesta,

As far as knocking Palm OS, correct me if I'm wrong, but with Kinoma Player 4 EX, can't you stream YouTube directly? And wasn't that able to be done months ago?
Yep, that's correct. Kinoma Player not only supports m.youtube.com (like the built-in Kinoma Media Embedded), but you can also play higher-quality Flash video via the Kinoma Media Guide or by adding your own feed.

-- Charles Wiltgen

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Malatesta,

Yep, that's correct. Kinoma Player not only supports m.youtube.com (like the built-in Kinoma Media Embedded), but you can also play higher-quality Flash video via the Kinoma Media Guide or by adding your own feed.

-- Charles Wiltgen
Ah, love it when I'm right ;)

Now if you fine folks there could port that wondeful system to WM5/6...:D Any plans? (besides the Styletap work-around). The CORE guys mean well but are slow to deliver.

RICHINMJ

May 28, 2004
Visit site
Malatesta,

-- Charles Wiltgen

The m.youtube.com site works prefectly with the latest Kinoma player but I can't say the same with my choices in the Kinoma Media Guide. I seem to get pauses every 5 seconds on most of the videos. Any suggestions on the set up of the General and Streaming preferences to make this work better.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I noticed that the demo was prepared with the video already pre-loaded (look at the blue portion of the onscreen control). Will be VERY interesting to see how YouTube crawls out of an EDGE connection. My bet is the first person who uses one on the EDGE network and tries to scroll the New York Times home page like Jobs did in his demo will either (a) pull out all their hair, (b) throw the thing up against the wall in frustration, or (c) both. Even on a good EDGE connection, the internet on the Blackjack (at 70-120k) crawls by comparison. The difference when I'm on HSDPA is astounding.

Bingo.

Where do you have Wi-Fi? Home, work, hotspot? That's where I use a laptop/desktop to view youtube, etc.

Where do you want to watch Youtube, etc? In the car, bus, subway, on street, etc. That's where I want to view that stuff on my mobile device. That's why 3G is key and EDGE is a turd wrapped in dookie buried in manure.

I guess we will see once it comes out, but I think all the "fast" stuff is just wi-fi, which to me is whoop-dee-effing-doo.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Bingo.

Where do you have Wi-Fi? Home, work, hotspot? That's where I use a laptop/desktop to view youtube, etc.

Where do you want to watch Youtube, etc? In the car, bus, subway, on street, etc. That's where I want to view that stuff on my mobile device.
:evil: I almost wrote the same post this morning and agree 100%. Usually where this is Wifi I have access to a desktop or laptop. But on the train or waiting at the DMV...

OTOH, to play devil's advocate and I hate to say this...

We don't know if the iPhone is upgradable to 3g via 'unlocking' the feature when the network is mature enough (analagous to the wifi 'n' thing). It might be unlikely, but until someone opens one (ahh...technology gore!) we won't know. Apple seems to enjoy pulling "Aha!"'s on us e.g. the Youtube deal (no small feat), increased battery life, etc.

Just saying I wouldn't be surprised at this point if they didn't plan ahead.

Bronxboy

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
Indeed as of launch, no Flash so you are mistaken there (though I anticipate it will get it sooner than later, just not now).

Flash Lite is rolling out across devices (newer WM devices have it installed and use it for the homescreen for various plugins). Flash 6 is a) old b) very poor for streaming to mobile devices, hence why companies like Opera are making their own flash for mobile. It's just not feasible for mobile today, it's not a "no brainer" if you are a programmer, which I take it you are not.

As far as knocking Palm OS, correct me if I'm wrong, but with Kinoma Player 4 EX, can't you stream YouTube directly? And wasn't that able to be done months ago? Also, the new Youtube mobile works on the 700p/755p already too.

They have their faults but there are a lot of media options (CORE Player?) for PalmOS and WM. I think you need to check your facts.

Correct. No flash light as of yet “My bad” However there are indications it has flash working in a browser http://casario.blogs.com/mmworld/2007/06/iphone_will_sup.html And QuickTime has the best codec on the market so that covers all but windows media & I would suspect they will have a plug in for that.

Just so you know, I have Kinoma Player 4 EX & Coreplayer & they both are lacking. With Kinoma you can only stream what they allow from You Tube unless you manually input the address (No thank you, I have better things to do with my time) So I hardly ever use it for anything other than streeming my favorite radio stations at home via Bluetooth. As for all the other features Kinoma offers I have applications that do a better or just as good a job such as splash Photo, TCPMP, Dio Player & Core player (which Is garbage just taking up space). Kinoma Player 4 EX is a good idea but without a built in web browser & backround play for MP3's I can't use it as a replacement for my other applications but instead end up with 2 video players, 3 audio players and at least 3 photo viewers.

BTW you should never assume because as an electronic engineer, learning assembly code and visual Basic was mandatory for me to learn. So as a programmer I can tell you that writing programs for the Palm OS is as easy as it gets for a modern day OS (but by no stretch of imagination is it simple, especially if you write in ARM). :rolleyes:

on another note:
The only issue I have with the i-Phone is speed. But since I’m in Europe & EDGE is as good as it gets I can’t complain. It does help that the EDGE service in Switzerland is way faster than Cingular's in Atlanta (think 14.4k dial up VS something almost as fast as Reverse Bluetooth) so it just makes an i-Phone that much more appealing to me.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Apple has taken over from realplayer when it comes to crapware on your computer. If I have to kill the ridiculous ipodservice one more time (on a computer I have never attached an Ipod to) I will scream.

Surur

What are you talking about? What ipodservice? If you have iTunes it needs to check to see if an iPod is connected. If you are worried about ridiculous amounts of services running, perhaps you should try a Mac. Far more memory efficient and processor efficient.

I think it's funny that your Windows machine makes you scream.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
What are you talking about? What ipodservice? If you have iTunes it needs to check to see if an iPod is connected. If you are worried about ridiculous amounts of services running, perhaps you should try a Mac. Far more memory efficient and processor efficient.

I think it's funny that your Windows machine makes you scream.

Especially when Apple exports their bloatware/crapware like Safari, Itunes and Quicktime, all bundled nicely together.

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
iTunes requires QuickTime.

I have Sunrise, Camino, Safari, Flock, OmniWeb, Opera, Shiira, Netscape and Firefox.

Safari is 6.3 MBs
Sunrise is 10
Camino is 39.6
Flock is 53.8
OmniWeb is 27.9
Opera 24.9
Shiira is 16.6
Netscape is 52.6
Firefox is 50.4

Now, keeping in mind that all applications elements are packaged in these containers for each app, Safari is rather small and nimble. In fact, it is the smallest bowser available - even when compared to others on that list that use WebKit.

Edit: Forgot the 5 year old Internet Explorer - 20MB

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro