iPhone & youTube

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
From what I read it sounds like it is going to be the same content available on m.youtube.com (which isn't much right now, but growing)

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
hmmm

If you can't do flash, just have them recode to something else. Ug.

As if Quicktime or H.264 is going to be any easier on the download or the processor. (maybe is is, but H.264 loves processor cycles).

I think Google and Apple will be gettting closer and closer...in an effort to beat Microsoft.

I found it hilarious the Google whined to have MS change serach in Vista...as if Google doesn't dominate this already on the Web.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
To add a dark lining to this silver cloud, this rather suggests the Iphone is a rather inflexible platform, needing others to bend toward the capability of the device, vs being a powerful general purpose device. This sorts out google video, but not the video on the NHL website or CNET website. Again Iphone users wander around in a gilded walled garden.

Surur

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site
iPhone business users won't pay $600.00 or $500.00 to walk in the walled gilding (or gilded) garden. We will get our usual 40% discount. I think that works out to $360 and $300 respectively. This does not include discounts AT&T /Cingular might offer for 2-year contracts. However, I am not sure the business plan discount and contract discount can be combined. Anyone know the answer to that question?

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
While at once I'm impressed that they'll get the YouTube content streaming (something even WM cannot due b/c we don't have that codec yet, unless that's changed in the last 4 days?) it has to be a kick in the nuts knowing you can only do it via Wifi.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
iPhone business users won't pay $600.00 or $500.00 to walk in the walled gilding (or gilded) garden. We will get our usual 40% discount. I think that works out to $360 and $300 respectively. This does not include discounts AT&T /Cingular might offer for 2-year contracts. However, I am not sure the business plan discount and contract discount can be combined. Anyone know the answer to that question?

Not so sure about that. My companies business rep with AT&T said absolutely no business discounts when asked.

If Apple would just at Exchange ActiveSync, I would seriuosly consider it.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site

The $500 and $600 are the discounted, 2 year contract prices, so any discount is a cut off that. There isn't an additional discount there.

Also, without Office attachment support it would be hard for my company at least to buy these for business. Of course it depends on your business.

Regarding the gilded garden, aren't all mobile devices really in that garden? (with different levels of golden trim :) ) My Treo doesn't exactly have a lot of online multi-media options (though it isn't marketed at being 5 years ahead of anything either) and mobile-specific sites definitely are more usable on the device.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
surur, why have you not given Apple credit for single handedly bringing higher quality to internet video at YouTube? This benefits everybody, not just iPhone users. Apple consistently ups the specs and you consistently find things to complain about ? as though the iPhone is getting worse all the time when in fact it is getting better.

And mikec; actually QT and h.264 IS easier on the processor because Apple's software is what it is relying on (that and h.264 was basically created by Apple). It is the most efficiently written codec and format available. This is one of the reasons why they can get 7 hours of playing movies on the iPhone.

Remember when you thought I was nuts because Apple is really a software company, NOT a hardware company like you believe them to be?

I have given up on all the FUD that gets spewn here. Though it's rather amusing that all of the non-Apple-centered forums have more posts about the iPhone by factors of ten than any of the Apple related forums. That says something about denial and fear for people's investments in the other phones, like the Treo or the BB or the Nokias or the Samsungs, etc, etc.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Not so sure about that. My companies business rep with AT&T said absolutely no business discounts when asked.

If Apple would just at Exchange ActiveSync, I would seriuosly consider it.

I don't know if anyone has thought of this but Exchange has a browser interface that the iPhone can use for the extended functionality.

Not really a big deal though since calDAV is the bees-knees and blows Exchange out of the water for efficiency.

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
I don't know if anyone has thought of this but Exchange has a browser interface that the iPhone can use for the extended functionality.

Not really a big deal though since calDAV is the bees-knees and blows Exchange out of the water for efficiency.

My company requires a secure-id connection to our front-end servers in order to use OWA. This wont work on the iPhone.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
surur, why have you not given Apple credit for single handedly bringing higher quality to internet video at YouTube? This benefits everybody, not just iPhone users. Apple consistently ups the specs and you consistently find things to complain about — as though the iPhone is getting worse all the time when in fact it is getting better.

And mikec; actually QT and h.264 IS easier on the processor because Apple's software is what it is relying on (that and h.264 was basically created by Apple). It is the most efficiently written codec and format available. This is one of the reasons why they can get 7 hours of playing movies on the iPhone.

Remember when you thought I was nuts because Apple is really a software company, NOT a hardware company like you believe them to be?

I have given up on all the FUD that gets spewn here. Though it's rather amusing that all of the non-Apple-centered forums have more posts about the iPhone by factors of ten than any of the Apple related forums. That says something about denial and fear for people's investments in the other phones, like the Treo or the BB or the Nokias or the Samsungs, etc, etc.

Archie,

Not sure how Apple gets praise for pushing thier own solution for their device. Sure it makes business sense to have the content.

As for "single-handedly upping the quality" - that only applies to iPhones, not the rest of the devices that use YouTube. If Apple has suddenly gotten YouTube to switch to H.264 for everything, and I could see it on my PC, then I might give a little golf clap.

H.264 was created by Apple...um I thought it was the MPEG-4 consortium. Thanks for dismissing all the others that contributed to the built-upon work.

And thanks to Apple, they don't even do true AVC, but their own version. That's why Nero AVC and Quicktime are not fully compatible (you need to custom create the container to play in Quicktime - lame).

I love h.264 - I just wish it was a standard-standard, like mp3, as opposed to mp4, which seems to be a standard-proprietary.

As for using less processor, you are dead wrong. (again, you don't understand the issue of efficiency of the codec and the processing cycles needed to interpret.

(shades of the SDK/API/OS discussion...)

H.264 is very efficient for size and quality. It great...but it takes more time to encode because of it's complexity...and it takes more processor time to decode (play) than other formats. (Again, as processors get more powerful, this issue will be lessened, but it still exists today).

Ever try playing those HD trailers on Apple? The high-end ones choke even the most power laptops (maybe okay on desktop). They use a lot of cycles.

You get 7 hours (which I think remains to be proven in the real world) becuase of 1.) the battery, and 2.) the bitrate/quality of the encoding.

Apple is a HARDWARE company (just like Sun), and everything in thier financials shows it to be such. The iPhone proves it more than ever! They aren't selling iPhone OSX to other vendors...nor are they selling AppleTV OSX to other vendors.

This is not to say a hardware company is a bad thing, it's just calling a spade a spade.

As for number of posts, no doubt the iPhone has the hype buzz going...just like the Treo 600 and 650 did, although on a much grander scale.

It's fun to see the excitement.

Bronxboy

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
To add a dark lining to this silver cloud, this rather suggests the Iphone is a rather inflexible platform, needing others to bend toward the capability of the device, vs being a powerful general purpose device. This sorts out google video, but not the video on the NHL website or CNET website. Again Iphone users wander around in a gilded walled garden.

Surur

Id rather be in a gilded walled garden than a 17 century prison. Palm Os does not even have support for flash 6 and no flash streaming from a browser (something that should be a no brainer) while the i-Phone is getting flash Lite & looking better by the minute.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice