http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html

In another change, the iPhone's touch-sensitive screen will be made out of optical-quality glass, instead of plastic. Apple CEO Steve Jobs said the change will create "superior scratch resistance and clarity."
    Glass? Will that lead to broken screens?
    06-18-2007 07:12 PM

Not if its tempered like prescription glasses.
    06-18-2007 07:14 PM

Not if you don't drop them.

But from my experience with my Palm TX vs my earlier Palms, glass digis are better overall. I'd want glass for a $500 phone. I'd personally want to tether it to my body somehow.
    06-18-2007 07:15 PM
    I'd personally want to tether it to my body somehow.
    Wow! You have internal BT? :bow:
    06-18-2007 07:18 PM
    Wow! You have internal BT? :bow:
    When I get a PACEMAKER someday I bet it will have BT.
    06-18-2007 07:26 PM
    That's a BIG concern IMO. Glass is cool, but fragile!
    06-18-2007 08:04 PM
    Not if its tempered like prescription glasses.
    Prescription glasses can't crack?
    06-18-2007 08:12 PM
    Prescription glasses can't crack?
    I didn't say they couldn't. But, the fact is it takes a bit of effort.
    06-18-2007 08:23 PM
    Who'll be the first out with iPhone cases to protect it? Apple or someone else?
    06-18-2007 08:38 PM
    There's a few out already actually.

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=i...oogle&ct=title

Surur
    06-18-2007 08:39 PM
    Someone else.
    http://www.iphonescases.com/
    06-18-2007 08:40 PM
    i wonder what screen protector everyone will choose

can't wait for those threads!
    06-18-2007 08:52 PM
    Thanks!

But how can they top rate the one in your link Sam, when the phone isn't out yet?! Customer usage reports should tell. Did they get a test model from Apple? It looks like what I'd need though. A non-slip and screen protecting case.

So whom do you trust more for protective cases, Apple or somepone else. They actually didn't put out any decent cases for their iPod! The $99 leather case didn't protect anything, so I never bought it. Neither did those "socks". Contour and Agent 18 :thumbsup: .
    06-18-2007 08:54 PM
    People vote on what they'd buy.
    Btw, I'm not recommending the site, just gave it as an example.
    06-18-2007 09:13 PM
    Optical quality glass...as opposed to that frosted glass that is used on bathroom windows. ;-)

As for "glasses", most today are made from polycarbonate (plastic).

So, that means...absolutely nothing.

As for screen protectors, the smart money is on Martin Fields - the best overlays in the biz.
    06-18-2007 09:42 PM
    Maybe its crystal, like a good watch They NEVER crack
    06-18-2007 10:39 PM
    My watch crystal cracked(more like chipped). Most are quartz, I think.

Only sapphire crystals won't crack unless you really bash them up or something, hardness of 9. They use sapphire crystals on the REALLY good watches.

Maybe that zirconium speculation should have been taken up by Apple, LOL! Glass makes you afraid to use it over concrete. Or even a hard floor.
    06-18-2007 10:51 PM
    I would consider the Black Horizontal Pouch Carrying Case by Incipio. It looks similar to the Treo case I have now. Also, I once had a magnetic latch on a Treo case and I was running down the stairs... and my Treo beat me down. It was a sad day...

No more magnetic latches for me.
    06-18-2007 11:03 PM
    Not all magnetic latches are created equal...the Tumi Treo case has a strong mag latch.
    06-18-2007 11:09 PM
    That's because Tumi is EXCELLENT!
    06-18-2007 11:27 PM

Only sapphire crystals won't crack unless you really bash them up or something, hardness of 9. They use sapphire crystals on the REALLY good watches.
    Thats what I meant!
    06-19-2007 12:29 AM
    If they made a screen of sapphire crystal, that might raise the price. $600 is enough! Would be cool though!
    06-19-2007 02:28 AM
    As far as glass, I'd bet they are using Schott or a market competitor. It is VERY strong and scratch resistant and can be made quite thin. This is the glass that a lot of high end camera lens filters are made with. Also, very high quality microscope slides and cover slips (the VERY thin glass that goes over the specimen on the slide) are made with this type glass. Should actually work well in this application.

As far as cracking or breaking it; who in their right mind would carry a $600 phone around without using a case!?!? Has ANYONE here not ever dropped their cell? Speaking for myself, I only seem to drop it on asphalt or textured cement - never carpet or grass. You can bet my iPhone will see very limited use until it's in a nice leather case of some sort...
    06-19-2007 09:45 AM
    I intend to avoid any drops by liberally applying Jergens to my hand before I handle the iPhone.

And holding it with said hand as I run to catch a subway train and reply to an eamil one handed.
    06-19-2007 09:53 AM
    As far as cracking or breaking it; who in their right mind would carry a $600 phone around without using a case!?!? Has ANYONE here not ever dropped their cell? Speaking for myself, I only seem to drop it on asphalt or textured cement - never carpet or grass. You can bet my iPhone will see very limited use until it's in a nice leather case of some sort...
    The same people who abuse their expensive iPods. I saw someone yesterday walking in the rain with one in NO case! Some people really don't give a :censored: :shake: .
    06-19-2007 09:58 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD