iPhone battery and touchscreen info

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
As far as glass, I'd bet they are using Schott or a market competitor. It is VERY strong and scratch resistant and can be made quite thin. This is the glass that a lot of high end camera lens filters are made with. Also, very high quality microscope slides and cover slips (the VERY thin glass that goes over the specimen on the slide) are made with this type glass. Should actually work well in this application.

As far as cracking or breaking it; who in their right mind would carry a $600 phone around without using a case!?!? Has ANYONE here not ever dropped their cell? Speaking for myself, I only seem to drop it on asphalt or textured cement - never carpet or grass. You can bet my iPhone will see very limited use until it's in a nice leather case of some sort...

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
slick

I intend to avoid any drops by liberally applying Jergens to my hand before I handle the iPhone.

And holding it with said hand as I run to catch a subway train and reply to an eamil one handed.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
As far as cracking or breaking it; who in their right mind would carry a $600 phone around without using a case!?!? Has ANYONE here not ever dropped their cell? Speaking for myself, I only seem to drop it on asphalt or textured cement - never carpet or grass. You can bet my iPhone will see very limited use until it's in a nice leather case of some sort...

The same people who abuse their expensive iPods. I saw someone yesterday walking in the rain with one in NO case! Some people really don't give a :censored: :shake: .

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Actually, if you don't care about resale value, you gain quite a lot of value by not carrying a case. Your device is automatically slimmer, lighter and more accessible, and we all know we pay good money for those very same features.

I don't sell my old PDA's, and of course I cry a little when the screen gets scratched, but the advantage of having a light slim device outweighs those concerns for me. I just try to be careful, not keep my device in a pocket by itself, vs with money and keys etc.

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Actually, if you don't care about resale value, you gain quite a lot of value by not carrying a case. Your device is automatically slimmer, lighter and more accessible, and we all know we pay good money for those very same features.
Couldn't agree more. Cases are big, bulky and (IMO) invariably rather ugly.

I don't sell my old PDA's, and of course I cry a little when the screen gets scratched, but the advantage of having a light slim device outweighs those concerns for me. I just try to be careful, not keep my device in a pocket by itself, vs with money and keys etc.
Yep. Phone gets its own pocket, a screen protector and decent insurance.

Obligatory ludicrous simile: phone cases are like marrying a beautiful woman and keeping her in a suit of armour :)

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
I intend to avoid any drops by liberally applying Jergens to my hand before I handle the iPhone.

And holding it with said hand as I run to catch a subway train and reply to an eamil one handed.

Now that's HYSTERICAL!

You can't use the iPhone one-handed, Silly!! :)

samkim

Sep 27, 2004
Visit site
Obligatory ludicrous simile: phone cases are like marrying a beautiful woman and keeping her in a suit of armour :)
Well said. I used to use a thin silicone skin case for my Treo until I realized that even that made it too bulky and ugly.

tirk

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Well said. I used to use a thin silicone skin case for my Treo until I realized that even that made it too bulky and ugly.

:thumbsup: Totally agree. Same goes for screen protectors too.

If you're really worried, take out insurance!

littlewaywelt

Aug 18, 2005
Visit site
The same people who abuse their expensive iPods. I saw someone yesterday walking in the rain with one in NO case! Some people really don't give a :censored: :shake: .

At some point it's just not worth bothering about.
I've had my treo since Jan 06 and it now looks like it. I don't bother with the case very much anymore. Same deal for my ipod. It's 75% of the way through it's life cycle, so I'm not going to go nuts protecting it.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
...Speaking for myself, I only seem to drop it on asphalt or textured cement - never carpet or grass. You can bet my iPhone will see very limited use until it's in a nice leather case of some sort...

Unfortunately, you're speaking for far too many of us - mine will literally bounce over to the sidewalk if I dare drop it in the grass...:D

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site

Surur

:thumbsup: Although I do add screen protectors that are as clear as I can get. The old Blackjack would be a waste with even a thin bodyglove.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site

Surur

You need to at least put a screen protector on the iPod(or tape the factory one down). And DON'T walk in the rain with it on(like the person the other day)!! Scratched up back can be dealt with, but scratched up screen when you watch videos, no thanks!

I also hate scratched screens on phones due to needing to read the screen clearly.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
At some point it's just not worth bothering about.
I've had my treo since Jan 06 and it now looks like it. I don't bother with the case very much anymore. Same deal for my ipod. It's 75% of the way through it's life cycle, so I'm not going to go nuts protecting it.

They look that way because you may not have kept them in cases all the time right from the start. My Treo still looks excellent! My iPods are covered in cases too.

It would be nice if video iPods were made sturdier though. Way too easy to get a scratched screen just from normal usage.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
:thumbsup: Totally agree. Same goes for screen protectors too.

If you're really worried, take out insurance!

I disagree strongly about screen protectors. They're a must. Martin Field's screen protectors are excellent! You can't tell they're on. The screen is just as clear and sometimes seems brighter.

tirk

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
I disagree strongly about screen protectors. They're a must. Martin Field's screen protectors are excellent! You can't tell they're on. The screen is just as clear and sometimes seems brighter.

Always a dangerous thing to say, but... I've never missed not using them, in many years of using Palm devices. Using colleagues' Palms with them on, the touchscreen always seems inaccurate in comparison, and often dirty (which of course could be easily fixed).

Oddly enough, I sleep naked too - I wonder if there's a correlation? :evil:

ambtreo

Sep 17, 2004
Visit site

Surur

I agree with you Surur - that's why i like the 755p, it needs no case. The rubberized casing let's you hold it firmly without squirting out of your hands.