Updated iPhone specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Actually, compared to WM6 on a keyboarded device, the UI is pretty inefficient. Pretty, but inefficient.

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Anyway, typical tactic of yours, side stepping the fact that I was correct (about the iPhones effectiveness and it's utility, as well as the many other things I included just now in that bulleted list) by quickly changing the subject to WM6.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Actually its pretty inefficient.

E.g to make a call on a WM smartphone, I start dialing the name in T9 from the today screen, after 3 key presses its usually filtered to the right contact, and press the dial button. The IPhone UI involves a lot of scrolling, which I imagine would take 3 times longer to find what you want.

BTW, I'm still waiting for the Zirconia to show.

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Well that's nice.

I personally would rather just click on the actual, instantly available, LETTER to filter the list down (no need to hunt and peck through T9 to press the appropriate key the correct number of times to get to the letter of the name) ? or I might just want to have fun flicking through my contacts.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Well that's nice.

I personally would rather just click on the actual, instantly available, LETTER to filter the list down (no need to hunt and peck through T9 to press the appropriate key the correct number of times to get to the letter of the name) ? or I might just want to have fun flicking through my contacts.

Yes Archie, I am sure you will spend all your time flicking things around, instead of actually using your phone.

Whats so efficient about having to tell google maps where you are, when it it had built-in GPS it could tell you where you are? Pretty poor, but a lot of nice flicking.

Even deleting e-mail seems to be a 2 or 3 step process, when it can be done with one keypress on WM6.

Coverflow is pretty, but again not very efficient, vs simply typing the album name on your hard keypad using smartfilter, built into WM6.

As I've said - pretty, but also pretty inefficient.

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Yes Archie, I am sure you will spend all your time flicking things around, instead of actually using your phone.

Whats so efficient about having to tell google maps where you are, when it it had built-in GPS it could tell you where you are? Pretty poor, but a lot of nice flicking.
You are comparing two different things; Google Maps and GPS.

Even deleting e-mail seems to be a 2 or 3 step process, when it can be done with one keypress on WM6.
One swipe and a click on the iPhone. Tell me how you do it on WM6. Here is the only way possible that I know.

1. Select message
2. Press left softkey
3. Press action button on “Yes” button confirming the deletion

Lame.......

And this is the new EASY method.

Tell me why they changed this at the expense of making it even more difficult to do what actually needs to be done more often: that is starting a new message. Here is what you have to do for that now as a result of M$ making the deletion of spam more "efficient".

1. Open Messaging app
2. Select Messaging account
3. Press right softkey
4. Press action button on pre-selected “New” command (For text messages, the “New” command has another sub menu with SMS and MMS options, adding another couple steps to this process)
5. Write new message

If I were you, I would be cursing M$ up and down.

Coverflow is pretty, but again not very efficient, vs simply typing the album name on your hard keypad using smartfilter, built into WM6.
Efficient? Who needs to be efficient when enjoying some music? You don't get it. If you want to be efficient you can browse your music or videos or podcasts or lectures or tv shows or movies or whatever in a multitude of different methods that would be more "efficient"; that is if you consider "browsing" "efficient".

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
You are comparing two different things; Google Maps and GPS.

Sorry, Apple makes the OS AND the device. If they were after efficiency why include a mapping app with no GPS?

One swipe and a click on the iPhone. Tell me how you do it on WM6. Here is the only way possible that I know.

1. Select message
2. Press left softkey
3. Press action button on ?Yes? button confirming the deletion

Lame.......

And this is the new EASY method.

Actually all you need to do is press and hold the delete shortcut key (7 or D), and delete confirmation can be swtiched off, to make that a one step process too. See WM is about work, not play.

Tell me why they changed this at the expense of making it even more difficult to do what actually needs to be done more often: that is starting a new message. Here is what you have to do for that now as a result of M$ making the deletion of spam more "efficient".

1. Open Messaging app
2. Select Messaging account
3. Press right softkey
4. Press action button on pre-selected ?New? command (For text messages, the ?New? command has another sub menu with SMS and MMS options, adding another couple steps to this process)
5. Write new message

If I were you, I would be cursing M$ up and down.

I saw that complaint, but you can reply to a message just by pressing and holding the R or 2 key. It takes account of how people WORK with mobile e-mail - mainly in the form of triage and reply, not writing volumes.

Efficient? Who needs to be efficient when enjoying some music? You don't get it. If you want to be efficient you can browse your music or videos or podcasts or lectures or tv shows or movies or whatever in a multitude of different methods that would be more "efficient", that is if you consider "browsing" "efficient".

Maybe its because you want to hear the song you want to hear now, instead of after 60 seconds of riffling through coverflow? Do people even use that on the desktop? Ive heard not.

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Actually all you need to do is press and hold the delete shortcut key (7 or D), and delete confirmation can be swtiched off, to make that a one step process too. See WM is about work, not play.
You still have to select the message. On the iPhone, you just swipe and hit delete.

I saw that complaint, but you can reply to a message just by pressing and holding the R or 2 key. It takes account of how people WORK with mobile e-mail - mainly in the form of triage and reply, not writing volumes.
Replying is no more efficient than on the iPhone. This doesn't change the fact that if you want to start a "New" message on WM6, you still have to go through this highly inefficient and arcane method.

Surur[/QUOTE]

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
You still have to select the message. On the iPhone, you just swipe and hit delete.

You know on PPC you can select with your finger too, dont you. You can even press and hold, and then press the delete button.

Replying is no more efficient than on the iPhone. This doesn't change the fact that if you want to start a "New" message on WM6, you still have to go through this highly inefficient and arcane method.

Actually selecting the account can also be switched off, and I wonder how you select which e-mail address you send from on the IPhone. Also in WM6 when you type in the e-mail address it will search your contact database and auto-fill it. There was no sign of the IPhone doing that.

So its one touch on the IPhone, and two on WM, but when it comes to entering the e-mail address its a lot of scrolling on the IPhone vs simply typing a few characters of the name in the address box

IPhone - Pretty Inefficient.

Surur

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Maybe its because you want to hear the song you want to hear now, instead of after 60 seconds of riffling through coverflow? Do people even use that on the desktop? Ive heard not.

Surur
I have to admit, the Coverflow thing looks weird for finding that one album you want to listen to. Can you use the keyboard at all to "smart-find" the band, album or song? Searching by album cover seems a bit odd...or am I missing something?

Does it also due lyrics? I just tried this new app "MiniLyrics" which auto-downloads your lyrics and displays as the song plays, karaoke-style, which I thought was kinda cool, lol. Helps with Bad Religion lyrics...

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, I love Apple but just because it is Apple doesn't mean it is necessarily easier or more efficient. the Apple Dock for example, the Zoom feature sucks balls IMO. I always turned that off, just because the design something doesn't mean it is perfect, or even good.

I guarantee my Palm is more efficient than the iPhone for some things. 1 button push can bring up a list of frequently used contacts, or URLs, or whatever I want. This is way faster than anything I saw in that video. Not as pretty, but more efficient.

The problem here is that the iPhone is not perfect, nor is anything else. Some want to just say it is terrible and some just want to say it is perfect. What's wrong with seeing both good and bad in it? Like, "I would love the bigger screen but I'd sure miss those buttons." Why can't we evaluate each feature and say 'That's cool!" and "I don't like that".. I haven't heard Archie say one negative thing about it, and surur's compliments always seem to have a 'but' at the end.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
So its one touch on the IPhone, and two on WM, but when it comes to entering the e-mail address its a lot of scrolling on the IPhone vs simply typing a few characters of the name in the address box

IPhone - Pretty Inefficient.

Surur
So you're proclaiming the iPhone inefficient without even knowing the facts?!

Here is a fact for you: you CAN "simply type a few characters of the name in the address box" on the iPhone. I am not sure why you say that a person cannot do this.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
What's wrong with seeing both good and bad in it? Like, "I would love the bigger screen but I'd sure miss those buttons." Why can't we evaluate each feature and say 'That's cool!" and "I don't like that".. I haven't heard Archie say one negative thing about it, and surur's compliments always seem to have a 'but' at the end.

Even your example has a but in it. Its how we say we express reservation. Unless you have another way.

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
So you're proclaiming the iPhone inefficient without even knowing the facts?!

Here is a fact for you: you CAN "simply type a few characters of the name in the address box" on the iPhone. I am not sure why you say that a person cannot do this.

The tour does now show this. Point me to a video that does.

Surur

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Even your example has a but in it. Its how we say we express reservation. Unless you have another way.

Surur

Yeah, true, you got me. How about you point out one thing you really like about the iPhone (with no 'but's) and Archie says one thing he doesn't like (or says something nice about WM :D)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73