Updated iPhone specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
What are you talking about?

a) Firmware has always been upgradeable.

b) Most of the software updates Apple will send out will be bug fixes.

Surur

Same with XP. I said that the other day, remember? Looks to me like both XP and OSX need bug fixes. When I was using my Powerbook, I recall Apple had so many updated version numbers of OSX, I couldn't keep track! But XP updates are through the roof!! They're more alike than we think, LOL!

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
I am using simple logic. You seem to be privy to Apple's firmware update plans however.

My simple logic tells me most updates fix bugs, and do not add features. Am I wrong?

Surur

Let's just hope your simple logic isn't the same you used for your comparative analysis of handsets.

When did MS/Palm/HTC/etc makes these firmware updates available over the air?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Same with XP. I said that the other day, remember? Looks to me like both XP and OSX need bug fixes. When I was using my Powerbook, I recall Apple had so many updated version numbers of OSX, I couldn't keep track! But XP updates are through the roof!! They're more alike than we think, LOL!

Exactly! But the Apple fans seem to believe Apple will create bug free code that wont need a significant number of fixes over the next few months.:shake:

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Let's just hope your simple logic isn't the same you used for your comparative analysis of handsets.

When did MS/Palm/HTC/etc makes these firmware updates available over the air?

Do you really need a history lesson. A few devices were upgraded from wm 2002 to wm 2003. Many devices were upgraded from wm 2003 to wm 2003se. A few wm 2003se devices were upgraded to WM5. Most wm5 devices got AKU 2. Many got AKU 3.3, and quite a few are getting the WM6 upgrade.

You should stick to discussing areas you know.:rolleyes:

Surur

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
Exposing ignorance is always fun. Thats why I like Archie, and I like you too. ;)

Surur

When you're unable to answer the question which was asked, you may want to invest in a reflective object when making statements such as this. :rolleyes:

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
i have a pc w/xp. i have a mac w/osx. what have "i" witnessed? that i'm constantly receiving windows xp updates and with my mac i am not.

why is that?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
i have a pc w/xp. i have a mac w/osx. what have "i" witnessed? that i'm constantly receiving windows xp updates and with my mac i am not.

why is that?

There were a huge number of Mac updates this year, at least once per month.

Are you basically saying your mac is unpatched?

Surur

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
It was a very politely worded elementary question that is being avoided like the plague. Why is that, I wonder ... HHhhhmmmm

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Where on the Microsoft site is the cab for WM6 available for OTA download? I'd like to get it. Thanks. :thumbsup:
You are obviously not following:

Network Operators (Sprint, Verizon, T-mobile and even AT&T) will not allow Firmware updates that are not carrier-approved to roll out.

In order to get "carrier approval" you need to submit it to extensive carrier testing, as well as carrier customizations that they request. This costs everyone money: Carriers and manufactures (who need to customize WM for every device).

Apple has by-passed this in two ways: they have their own servers on AT&Ts network, which was contingent on their using AT&T. There is no AT&T approval for the iPhone since Apple has literally walled them off from touching the OS at all.

Since the iPhone is only on 1 carrier with their own servers, it is logically easier to roll out updates. It's convenient yet not practical for multi-operator roll outs, hence their exclusivity.

WM6 has a OTA WinUpdater built in to it to allow updates to the OS regardless of carriers.

WM5 --> WM6 upgrades to devices are dependent NOT on MS but on the manufacturer (to customize) and the Network Operator.

You need to learn details and context. And if you have a Dash, a Blackjack and soon a 750, I can direct you to a free update for the OS to get WM6.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Where on the Microsoft site is the cab for WM6 available for OTA download? I'd like to get it. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Oh, so the important part is not the update, but that it comes over the air. Why? Especially over your EDGE connection that will really suck, and some people actually pay for mobile bandwidth.

And you know Apple will do OTA updates? Why?

Surur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen