Updated iPhone specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
The usability of the iPhone is yet to be proven, I personally prefer hard buttons to soft ones. At least in my experiences up to now. iPhone could change that.

But movies and music on my Treo doesn't involve many hoops, I just put them on my card, and open them in the respective player. I haven't looked into synciing automatically with the desktop because I listen to the same old music with only minimal changes over time. I'm old and boring. I know it is possible but don't know how well it works. On the Palm I have one-button shortcuts to each app so I'm betting it will be easier to access them on my Treo vs the iPhone, which I assume requires you to go to the launcher onscreen, taking what, minimum 2 actions? I don't think you can claim superiority there.

I do have high hopes for Apple to get it right, but one concern is that on Macs as well as Palm the 3rd parties have generally lead the platform in innovative ideas for real-world usability. Without them we can't get the little tweaks that fine-tune the user experience. We'll see.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
The utility remains to be seen. Lets give you 1 point for that. Score another 2 points for storage. -2 for no 3G, -3 for no 3rd party apps, -1 for no removable battery etc.
No, that's not how it works in my book! If you ask 'How is the IPhone more advanced (by your criteria of course)?' you don't get to score the criteria for me! I was talking about not just the app launch UI but the UI for every app... and so I'm going to give it +20 for that (you might disagree but it really is subjective, and that's my score :))

A few more :):

Browser +10.

iTunes integration +15 (without it I'll need an iPod).

Lack of 3G -15 (about equal importance with iTunes integration for me).

iTunes phone app UI +3 (I know I've already had every app UI in the UI +20 above, but I think it deserves extra :))

Lack of Exchange push -2 (lack of ability to get Exchange email at all would be -15, but pull is more-or-less good enough).

Virtual rather than physical QWERTY keyboard when typing -5 (very hard to say without actually trying it of course; could be -20, could be +20, although the latter does seem a bit unlikely).

Virtual rather than physical QWERTY when using apps that don't need it or don't need it much +10 (or put another way, virtual rather than physical keyboard is the only way to get a big screen on a small thin device).

Fairly high res screen +10.

(Probably) good battery life +15.

Lack of native third party apps -20 (Could be less if web apps pan out, but that would really need i) the ability to add icons to the launch screen and ii) something like Google Gears for access when off-line. Some apps should be fine despite an on-line requirement, IM for instance - not a lot of use off-line. This all assuming you don't have to close a web app just to open another web page; *I think* the bottom right icon in iPhone Safari is a page switcher. If you have close an app just to open a page though score this -30).

Hardware design +30 (best looking handheld device ever, IMO).
Obviously this is just a bit of fun and doesn't really mean much as I've never touched the device, also the list far from complete. If I do have a slightly more serious point though it's that it's not just about quantity of features, it's at least as much about quality, and people really do value things very differently.

llarson

Feb 9, 2004
Visit site
When reading SURUR just know he hates APPLE

You would have had a point, had Apple not been systemically deceptive in their marketing of the IPhone. They made all kinds of bizarre comparisons to suite them, while hiding the advantages of the other devices.

Eg. in the original keynote they spoke of how difficult it is to search your contacts, and how you had to re-enter all your contacts each time you switched phones, and how most people dial from their recently called list etc, and he would do his little scrolling thing. On the WM smartphones you just start dialing some-one's name form the today screen - much faster and in fact easier, and of course contacts sync just fine.

He likes comparing his device with dumb phones when it suites him, and smartphones when it doest (e.g. his battery life claims). The man is a charlatan.

Surur

Read his post it is no secret he hates all things iPHONE and trolls here to promote Windows phone systems.

I usually glance over his musings and move on.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Here's that table, updated with a dash of honesty.

iphonecompare.jpg

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Are you attempting to deceive or is it innocent that the Treo 750 shows WiFi? ;)

If you could read the small print it says "with wifi card"

As the IPhone has no expansion slot its perfectly valid, and actually used by people in the real world.

Surur

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
If you could read the small print it says "with wifi card"

As the IPhone has no expansion slot its perfectly valid, and actually used by people in the real world.

Surur

Come on. Seriously. That's tilted and you know it. Same goes for GPS.

Besides, that 0.5 point type you chose isn't legible. My eyes are bad ... but they're not that bad. :)

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Come on. Seriously. That's tilted and you know it. Same goes for GPS.

Besides, that 0.5 point type you chose isn't legible. My eyes are bad ... but they're not that bad. :)

How is it tilted? Its real, its used in the real world by real people, therefore its a real feature.

The small print is a formatting issue. Did you see the size of the font on the IPhone page depicting their battery testing regime?

Surur

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
While I think Safari will go a long way in bringing "full blown internet" to a mobile device and that people want such a feature, personally I think it's an inefficient way for information retrieval.

I think direct services e.g. Google Maps over mapquest, RSS vs. Websites, Blog viewing/editing programs (Splashblog), dedicated weather program (like the iPhone vs. web-based weather) are far superior than browsing the web, mobile. They are faster, more direct, pre-formatted for screens and more efficient as they tend to "pull" just the information you want and none that you don't need.

Running java popups (when unnecessary for web content), ads and scrolling over the whole page just seems counter-intuitive for ease of use/bandwidth conservation. Now, the iPhone seems to a long way for making that easier on some fronts like the finger browsing, large high res display to fit more but fails on others: no ad blockers (I imagine), no 3g to download the entire page, downloading more information than needed, etc. Of course I imagine Safari will have some type of RSS capability, but I'm wondering if it's on par with more straight forward systems like Newsbreak, etc.

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
How is it tilted? Its real, its used in the real world by real people, therefore its a real feature.

The small print is a formatting issue. Did you see the size of the font on the IPhone page depicting their battery testing regime?

Surur

Requiring a separate purchase to fill the blanks left in WM does not a default feature/capability make. Sorry, surur, but you're better than this and you know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.