Updated iPhone specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
It has to be about "archie" when people don't believe what I say.

Do you see other way?

It should be about the facts, not about you. If you present some facts with some way to prove your sources, people will give you more respect. If you are repeating what you hear from some rumor site, accurate or not, and don't present it as such, you won't get many believers. Don't present speculation or innuendo as facts, leave the possibility that you may be incorrect. If you have inside info then you (or your friends) are under an NDA and shouldn't be posting it anyway.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
The fact is the iPhone isn't 5 years ahead of any other phone like Jobs claimed. In some ways it is ahead (but not by 5 years) like visual voicemail, the UI graphics, the sensors, and the web browser.
These things you mention have only progressed since the introduction of the iPhone. They probably would not have been approaching or attempting to look like the iPhone had the iPhone not actually been announced. So the mere announcement of the iPhone has propelled the market forward a good number of years.

And in at least one way it is behind: the network speed.
And how is Apple behind here? They cannot install 3G for everybody out there. This is not about Apple.
With only 20% market being served 3G, it is hardly worth catering to. And now, with the ban of 3G chip sales ? that would have been devastating.... it is almost as if Apple had seen this coming.

Hmmm... didn't Apple put up funding for Broadcom a couple years back.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
These things you mention have only progressed since the introduction of the iPhone. They probably would not have been approaching or attempting to look like the iPhone had the iPhone not actually been announced. So the mere announcement of the iPhone has propelled the market forward a good number of years.

And how is Apple behind here? They cannot install 3G for everybody out there. This is not about Apple.
With only 20% market being served 3G, it is hardly worth catering to. And now, with the ban of 3G chip sales ? that would have been devastating.... it is almost as if Apple had seen this coming.

Hmmm... didn't Apple put up funding for Broadcom a couple years back.

Archie, you always make me laugh.

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
How is the IPhone more advanced (by your criteria of course)?
How about the UI for starters? WM UI vs iPhone UI is like Windows 95 vs OS X 10.4. The iPhone UI is elegant, simple, intuitive, fluid. It looks modern and makes WM look old, cluttered and clunky.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
How about the UI for starters? WM UI vs iPhone UI is like Windows 95 vs OS X 10.4. The iPhone UI is elegant, simple, intuitive, fluid. It looks modern and makes WM look old, cluttered and clunky.

The utility remains to be seen. Lets give you 1 point for that. Score another 2 points for storage. -2 for no 3G, -3 for no 3rd party apps, -1 for no removable battery etc.

Objectively its far from more advanced.

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Anyway; THIS THREAD doesn't need to be about "archie".

It is about the iPhone and Apple announcing it is giving us a full weekend of use out its one charge.

Or in the case of Lady Treo, a "full day" of listening to music and also having enough power for phone calls for her sister.

Should serve to allay people's fears of not making it through a day of heavy usage - unless you are mikec, or malaster or surur or any of the other haglers on witch hunt.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site

Not just the looks either, I assume it uses Quartz as opposed to bitmapped graphics. That's what it looks like anyway.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
The utility remains to be seen. Lets give you 1 point for that. Score another 2 points for storage. -2 for no 3G, -3 for no 3rd party apps, -1 for no removable battery etc.

Objectively its far from more advanced.

Surur

But you can add points for the web browser, the sensors, and the voicemail.

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
How is the IPhone more advanced (by your criteria of course)?

Surur

I never made the statement that the iPhone was more advanced. However, I find it worthy of birth. It shouldn't be treated like it's the antichrist. :rolleyes:

Because it's a new and untested platform, the OS UI is worth exploring. If it can deliver near the dependability of Blackberry, the ability to keep up with instructions, provide enough flexibility allow some choice within reason [to the average consumer vs the techno-geek], and supports the platform with at least limited OS upgradability, [again, to the average consumer vs the techno-geek], I may be able to get behind this thing. Allow it to grow and it may set a new standard when it has bleeding edge connectivity. As for battery-life, it has not been shown that replacing the battery is necessary and to make incendiary claims otherwise is irresponsibly premature at best.

I don't particularly have a dog in this fight. I just welcome some genuine innovation to kick some other corps in the seat of their pants since they're simply chronically milking their cash cow. I couldn't care less who that innovation came from, quite frankly.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
The utility remains to be seen.
Well its utility will be context sensitive. Give it 2 points because this is the time tested and proven way of Apple and nobody else does it. Take a point away from other phones for being so dumb as to not do it this way.[/QUOTE]
-2 for no 3G
What good would that do us? I cannot see any benefit. ESPECIALLY considering the recent ban of 3G. Apple has announced twice already that when it comes to Europe it will have 3G so you can settle down.
-3 for no 3rd party apps,
Oh , please...
-1 for no removable battery etc.
I think you should give Apple 2 points for giving twice the battery life of other phones without the need of having to tote around this additional battery of yours.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Should serve to allay people's fears of not making it through a day of heavy usage - unless you are mikec, or malaster or surur or any of the other haglers on witch hunt.
It's Malatesta you egotistically fool.

And I have no problems with the iPhone outside of
a) it's not a smartphone
b) not for me
c) disappoints in some areas
d) too expensive
e) AT&T

Combine that with it's "defenders" like you and it does happen to leave a bad taste in my mouth (honestly, you're a poor representative of Apple fans. You reinforce stereotypes that they are arrogant and condescending). However, as I've always maintained the phone will sell and reviews will be mostly positive. It's just not a device for a lot of the Treo crowd. Big deal.

And you know the no-3G argument is rubbish, since it would not have taken a genius to put in the chip and have it upgradeable via software later when then network is up and ready. That's exactly what the Palm 750 and the new Sprint Mogul (6800) have done.

Don't pass off obsolescence and poor choices for prescience.

And since you "know" so much, what about GPS, IM and MMS? Why aren't those there?

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Removable batteries are more for when the battery goes south of perfect, which is inevitable at some point. But I don't think it is a huge issue, unless it happens to you.

3G definitely would help in downloading and uploading photos, buying music from iTunes (I assume you will be able to do that).

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
And you know the no-3G argument is rubbish, since it would not have taken a genius to put in the chip and have it upgradeable via software later when then network is up and ready.

Tell it to that little sagging company known as RIM and their GSM product management team. :)

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
I think it is a bold, daring statement to declare the iPhone "5 years ahead of its time" before it is released. And even to judge that, it becomes SO opinionated that in the end nothing gets settled. For instance:

What, in "functionality", does the iPhone do that a Windows Mobile PPC cannot? Visual voicemail? ANYTHING else????? UI/multitouch are features, not functionality.

I can watch movies on my Treo. I can browse the web, listen to music, email calendar, etc. HOWEVER, I have my bank accounts synced through Quicken on my phone, and I can watch my TV on my phone- any channel, any time, with Slingbox. I can download and read a book, play 100's of games, etc etc.

The iPhone is going to sell, and going to sell big when it is released. But what are consumers going to do when they realize they can do all of this on a phone that costs hundreds less, on a cellular network that is cheaper to boot?

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Removable batteries are more for when the battery goes south of perfect, which is inevitable at some point. But I don't think it is a huge issue, unless it happens to you.

3G definitely would help in downloading and uploading photos, buying music from iTunes (I assume you will be able to do that).

You cannot buy music from iTunes directly from the phone. I was surprised about that myself.

The battery life may be an issue for some, but considering that it is non 3G (battery life is double without 3G) it probably will only be an issue for those who use wifi a lot throughout the day. I wouldn't worry about non-wifi normal phone/media operation

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
You cannot buy music from iTunes directly from the phone. I was surprised about that myself.

The battery life may be an issue for some, but considering that it is non 3G (battery life is double without 3G) it probably will only be an issue for those who use wifi a lot throughout the day. I wouldn't worry about non-wifi normal phone/media operation

Hmm, that seems like shooting themselves in the foot to me. It doesn't seem that it would be that hard to do, there are services to buy songs on so many mobile phones these days. I understand not having a full iTunes client but nothing? That seems like a misstep to me.

Again, I think the battery issue is more in case you have a defective or dying old battery. My wife's 2 year old iPod doesn't hold a charge and needs to be plugged in after 15 minutes. For her it isn't a big deal since it only gets used in the car.

I'd like some easy way to chandge the battery if you needed but then the form factor definitely couldn't be as sleek. If you have $600 to spend on a phone though you better have the money to repair it.

Does the ATT phone insurance cover the iPhone?

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
It's Malatesta you egotistically fool.
Sorry about the name.

Combine that with it's "defenders" like you and it does happen to leave a bad taste in my mouth (honestly, you're a poor representative of Apple fans. You reinforce stereotypes that they are arrogant and condescending).
Yes, you make no mistake about it, I am a defender. I seem to have been thrust into this role of being the sole defender of Apple here at TreoCentral because of the constant barrage of inaccuracies thrown at Apple and the iPhone... and many other aspects of Apple.

However, as I've always maintained the phone will sell and reviews will be mostly positive. It's just not a device for a lot of the Treo crowd.
And I've always maintained that it IS a device for a lot of the Treo crowd. At least 20% and as high as 25-33%! That's a move of 20% from the Treo camp to the iPhone camp if you will... and that's within the first year. I can't wait for the numbers to roll in a year from now.

And you know the no-3G argument is rubbish, since it would not have taken a genius to put in the chip and have it upgradeable via software later when then network is up and ready.
I didn't say they haven't done this. But as you allude to here, the networks are not ready, so why offer it? (18-20% is not enough service) Especially considering Apple would be giving up its bargaining chip as I have discussed before. But alas, I realize that you and many others do not believe the reasoning since it is coming from "archie". Whatever...

But on this note, realize that sources are saying "T-Mobile is favored to secure the deal. Both carriers (meaning Vodaphone and T-Mobile) have been active in the music area, but apparently Vodafone's Live! portal would not be a good match with Apple's iTunes software."

So there you have it. The 5th piece of evidence (or is it like the 6th or 7th, I lose track) that my reasoning was correct.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
What, in "functionality", does the iPhone do that a Windows Mobile PPC cannot? Visual voicemail? ANYTHING else????? UI/multitouch are features, not functionality.
Well, aside from having desktop level access to the net and full iPod functionality, you are right, not much else.

BUT, it is this UI that you mention as "a feature, not functionality" that is important. It is a feature that gives the user an ease of use unseen anywhere else. This ease of use makes the phone more accessible... easier to use. This is what Apple is known for.

They don't rely on specs to sell the product. They rely on usability to sell the product. Specs are worthless if they are included for the mere sake of inclusion.

I can watch movies on my Treo.
Yes but you have to jump through so many hoops to do it.
I can browse the web
I suppose you can kind of do that, but there is no messing around in doing so with the iPhone. And as heard elsewhere, "you get the full-blown internet".
listen to music, email calendar, etc.
Again, easier and quicker to do on the iPhone. The iPhone becomes a useful tool for those in a crunch for time, not a hobbyist's phone that says, hey look what I can make this thing do. I don't have time to be screwing around, poking and prodding to see if something will work. I just need it to work without any fiddling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2