Updated iPhone specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
That's encouraging, since WM devices routinely seem to only give ~60-70% of their battery ratings. Hell, if I could get real-world 6 hours of continuous talk time [not that I ever hold conversations that long], while remaining under 20mm thickness, any advanced smartphone would get a look from me. The aftermarket companies won't like it a damn bit, but really, who cares besides them? Maybe they can focus their attention on improving the QA/QC by redistributing R&D budgets toward that cause.

These people claim the Dash, in real life testing, gave them over 8 hours talk time.

To test how long a phone?s battery lasts while making a call we use Skype to call the phone and play an audio book over the connection to simulate a conversation. We time how long the phone lasts from the beginning of the call until the either the battery dies or the phone hangs up due to a low battery. The T-Mobile Dash posted an impressive 8 hour and 20 minutes of call time in our test. This is significantly longer than T-Mobile?s stated talk time of 5 hours. The Dash blows the Motorola Q (3 hours 45 minutes) out of the water, this despite the fact that the Q has a larger capacity battery (1130 mAh) than the Dash (960 mAh). The Dash also did significantly better than the Blackberry 8703e?s 5 hour and 23 minute time. This is a big factor in the Dash's favor: although your battery life will vary (with things like the network signal strength having a significant impact on battery life), but HTC are obviously doing soemthing right to extend the battery life.
http://www.wirelessinfo.com/content/T-Mobile-Dash-Cell-Phone-Review/Battery-Life.htm

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
These people claim the Dash, in real life testing, gave them over 8 hours talk time.
That's impressive, unlike music playback which is poor:

To test music playback we set the device to play a looped album at maximum volume with all settings at their default. We time how long it takes for the phone to run out of battery power. The T-Mobile Dash lasted 7 hours and 23 minutes in our music playback test. This is not a impressive a score as the Dash’s talk time test, but is still good. The Dash will give you about the same battery life when playing music as phones like the Treo 700p (8 hours 8 minutes) or the LG Chocolate (7 hours 37 minutes). It again did much better than the Motorola Q, which was only able to manage 5 hours and 25 minutes.
Why do all of these phones have such dreadful audio playback times? A major plus for the iPhone (if Apple's numbers are reasonably accurate) is that you can listen to fair bit of music before you need to start worrying about the effect on the battery.

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site

Surur

While the Dash does a good job at emulating a Blackberry's form factor, it still isn't exactly advanced in its OS, connectivity [Edge-only], video calling, etc. If it has sold well enough in its initial form, it may get a version-2 which puts it a bit more on the bleeding edge. Using it in the US in an unlocked form doesn't help either since TMo piggybacks onto at&t/Cingular where they lack their own towers. Appreciate the thought though.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Oh, NOOOO! archie is wrong, wrong, wrong.

The iPhone can't possibly have better battery life than initially posted.
Apple doesn't have the ability archie thinks it does to design software to provide superior battery life.
blah, blah, blah

Eat it!

You know, its funny how I seem crazy, uninformed, naive or stupid until time passes and it reveals that I am correct; don't you think?

Yet it happens continuosly and no one is willing to believe that I know what I am talking about.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
While the Dash does a good job at emulating a Blackberry's form factor, it still isn't exactly advanced in its OS, connectivity [Edge-only], video calling, etc. If it has sold well enough in its initial form, it may get a version-2 which puts it a bit more on the bleeding edge. Using it in the US in an unlocked form doesn't help either since TMo piggybacks onto at&t/Cingular where they lack their own towers. Appreciate the thought though.

The Dash is more advanced than the IPhone.

Surur

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
The Dash is more advanced than the IPhone.

Surur

Presumably, this is a qualified statement intended to be read as 'for my needs/desires'. The Dash is no more advanced, technically, than any other WM-Smartphone Edition with wifi. WiFi has become a point of delineation between the US and EU, whereas data plans in the US are much less expensive than their EU counterparts, reducing the need (or presumed desire) for wifi. The opposite scenario is true in the EU, so we end up having conflicting needs by default. Therefore, any device will be judged from differing points of view, even when all personal biases are set aside.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
...Why do all of these phones have such dreadful audio playback times? A major plus for the iPhone (if Apple's numbers are reasonably accurate) is that you can listen to fair bit of music before you need to start worrying about the effect on the battery.

One has to ask if Apple did its music test with all wireless radios on or off. My bet is they turned off all the radios and ran the test for that length of time. Makes a heck of a difference to make it a single dimension device. :confused:

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Wifi isn't just useful for your net connection, syncing your music or video collection seems a more appropriate use than internet connectivity, so being off by default makes the most sense. I don't see how it would be necessary for email and phone-based web surfing. While edge isn't perfect I think it is adequate.

It is nice to see that something in at least one area will be greater than predicted. I wish Palm would do that.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
How the tests were done:

https://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/specs.html#mn_p

Check the extensive notes section at the bottom of the page.

# Talk Time: Testing conducted by Apple in May and June 2007 using preproduction iPhones and software. All talk time testing was done connected to a 1900MHz network. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the WiFi feature Ask to Join Networks was turned off. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.

# Standby: Testing conducted by Apple in May and June 2007 using preproduction iPhones and software. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the WiFi feature Ask to Join Networks was turned off. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.

# Internet over WiFi: Testing conducted by Apple in May and June 2007 using preproduction iPhones and software. Internet over WiFi testing conducted using a closed network and dedicated web and mail server, simulating browsing to 20 popular URLs and checking mail once an hour. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the WiFi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off; WPA2 encryption was enabled. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, WiFi connectivity, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.

# Internet over EDGE: Testing conducted by Apple in May and June 2007 using preproduction iPhones and software. Internet over EDGE testing conducted over a 1900 MHz EDGE, using a dedicated web and mail server, simulating browsing to 20 popular URLs and checking mail once an hour. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the WiFi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, EDGE connectivity, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.

# Video Playback: Testing conducted by Apple in May and June 2007 using preproduction iPhones and software. Video content was a repeated 2 hour 23 minute movie purchased from the iTunes Store. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the WiFi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.

# Audio Playback: Testing conducted by Apple in May and June 2007 using preproduction iPhones and software. The playlist consisted of 358 unique audio tracks, a combination of content imported from CDs using iTunes (128-Kbps AAC encoding) and content purchased from the iTunes Store (128-Kbps AAC encoding). All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the WiFi feature Ask to Join Networks was turned off. Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.

So not exactly how they are planning to ship the device, are they?

Surur

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Oh, NOOOO! archie is wrong, wrong, wrong.

The iPhone can't possibly have better battery life than initially posted.
Apple doesn't have the ability archie thinks it does to design software to provide superior battery life.
blah, blah, blah

Eat it!

You know, its funny how I seem crazy, uninformed, naive or stupid until time passes and it reveals that I am correct; don't you think?

Yet it happens continuosly and no one is willing to believe that I know what I am talking about.

Posts like this are exactly why you get the level of respect you do. Think about it a bit.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Presumably, this is a qualified statement intended to be read as 'for my needs/desires'. The Dash is no more advanced, technically, than any other WM-Smartphone Edition with wifi. WiFi has become a point of delineation between the US and EU, whereas data plans in the US are much less expensive than their EU counterparts, reducing the need (or presumed desire) for wifi. The opposite scenario is true in the EU, so we end up having conflicting needs by default. Therefore, any device will be judged from differing points of view, even when all personal biases are set aside.

Sorry, but objectively speaking things like DirectPush and 3rd party apps makes the Dash more advanced that the IPhone. The Phone's only advantage is its touch screen technology. Even the Helio Ocean is much more advanced than the IPhone.

Surur

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Probably slower CPU, or they are switching off wifi by default, or they will suddenly announce the Iphone is double the thickness :evil:

Surur

Wow, you really have a vendetta against this gadget. Its only a phone! This is becoming very amusing to watch.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Posts like this are exactly why you get the level of respect you do. Think about it a bit.

Yes, you are right.

But when people do not believe what I say, they ask for evidence or proof or links or whatever. Then I give it to them. Then they still doubt me. Granted this is human nature, but still...

So then I am forced to ask them to review my history — or depending on the day, I take the opportunity to gloat. I know gloating isn't necessary, especially since I am faceless and nobody here knows who I am.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Yes, you are right.

But when people do not believe what I say, they ask for evidence or proof or links or whatever. Then I give it to them. Then they still doubt me. Granted this is human nature, but still...

So then I am forced to ask them to review my history ? or depending on the day, I take the opportunity to gloat. I know gloating isn't necessary, especially since I am faceless and nobody here knows who I am.

It shouldn't be about you. You make it about you.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
The fact is the iPhone isn't 5 years ahead of any other phone like Jobs claimed. In some ways it is ahead (but not by 5 years) like visual voicemail, the UI graphics, the sensors, and the web browser. And in at least one way it is behind: the network speed. 3rd party apps is more a business decision and not a technical limitation. Not having bundled apps that people would expect isn't a technical limitation either, I'm sure those will show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods