Here's that table, updated with a dash of honesty.
    A bit of honest subjectivity! 4 GB or 8 GB of flash don't even get a mention? Each to there own, but please don't pretend that's in any way objective or balanced.
    06-18-2007 05:52 PM
    Come on. Seriously. That's tilted and you know it. Same goes for GPS.

Besides, that 0.5 point type you chose isn't legible. My eyes are bad ... but they're not that bad.
    How is it tilted? Its real, its used in the real world by real people, therefore its a real feature.

The small print is a formatting issue. Did you see the size of the font on the IPhone page depicting their battery testing regime?

Surur
    06-18-2007 05:52 PM
    A bit of honest subjectivity! 4 GB or 8 GB of flash don't even get a mention? Each to there own, but please don't pretend that's in any way objective or balanced.
    I said a dash, not a bucket.

Surur
    06-18-2007 05:53 PM
    While I think Safari will go a long way in bringing "full blown internet" to a mobile device and that people want such a feature, personally I think it's an inefficient way for information retrieval.

I think direct services e.g. Google Maps over mapquest, RSS vs. Websites, Blog viewing/editing programs (Splashblog), dedicated weather program (like the iPhone vs. web-based weather) are far superior than browsing the web, mobile. They are faster, more direct, pre-formatted for screens and more efficient as they tend to "pull" just the information you want and none that you don't need.

Running java popups (when unnecessary for web content), ads and scrolling over the whole page just seems counter-intuitive for ease of use/bandwidth conservation. Now, the iPhone seems to a long way for making that easier on some fronts like the finger browsing, large high res display to fit more but fails on others: no ad blockers (I imagine), no 3g to download the entire page, downloading more information than needed, etc. Of course I imagine Safari will have some type of RSS capability, but I'm wondering if it's on par with more straight forward systems like Newsbreak, etc.
    06-18-2007 05:57 PM
    How is it tilted? Its real, its used in the real world by real people, therefore its a real feature.

The small print is a formatting issue. Did you see the size of the font on the IPhone page depicting their battery testing regime?

Surur
    Requiring a separate purchase to fill the blanks left in WM does not a default feature/capability make. Sorry, surur, but you're better than this and you know it.
    06-18-2007 05:57 PM
    I said a dash, not a bucket.
    That'll be why there's no mention of screen size, screen resolution, iTunes integration, BT 2, 3.5 mm headphone jack etc, etc as well then :brick:
    06-18-2007 06:02 PM
    Requiring a separate purchase to fill the blanks left in WM does not a default feature/capability make. Sorry, surur, but you're better than this and you know it.
    We are not comparing OS's, we are looking at devices. There are plenty of WM devices, which Apple conveniently left of the list, which feature built-in WIFI, like the HP 6915 or the T-Mobile Dash, or the HTC Mongul for example.

Apple picked and chose the list, and then the features to compare. When you flesh out the device features it does not look as good at all.

Surur
    06-18-2007 06:02 PM
    Requiring a separate purchase to fill the blanks left in WM does not a default feature/capability make.
    Requiring or having the option to add on? Seems like an issue of definition and perspective.
    06-18-2007 06:03 PM
    That'll be why there's no mention of screen size, screen resolution, iTunes integration, BT 2, 3.5 mm headphone jack etc, etc as well then :brick:
    Feel free to make your own list. You would then note that those features are not unique to the IPhone, and Apple did not chose to highlight them for that reason, e.g. the Nokia N95 has Itunes integration, the Blackberry curve and N95 have 3.5mm headphone jacks.

Surur
    06-18-2007 06:05 PM
    Then, by all means, surur, get on with your meta-analysis of every released smartphone the world will see within the next 3-6 months. That should keep you busy for, well ... 3-6 months.

Point is, your list is no different than Apple's. You drew a line to end your list, at your choosing, as well as a line to end what features you included, whether out-of-the-box or not. What? No specifications to the types of metals and/or plastics used in production?
    06-18-2007 06:09 PM
    It is nice to see that something in at least one area will be greater than predicted. I wish Palm would do that.
    just imagine the success of the 680 if they would have curved in the sides even more....
    06-18-2007 06:10 PM
    Feel free to make your own list. You would then note that those features are not unique to the IPhone, and Apple did not chose to highlight them for that reason, e.g. the Nokia N95 has Itunes integration, the Blackberry curve and N95 have 3.5mm headphone jacks.
    There are plenty of features on your list that aren't unique to one device. I didn't realise that was a requirement.
    06-18-2007 06:11 PM
    Point is, your list is no different than Apple's.
    I think that was his point...feature lists tend to be arbitrary depending on what you want to highlight and what you want to just obfuscate.

At least that's my thought on the matter...
    06-18-2007 06:11 PM
    I think that was his point...feature lists tend to be arbitrary depending on what you want to highlight and what you want to just obfuscate.
    Obviously, I agree with you ... But, I agree because this was the point I made on the previous page of this thread, to which surur takes exception.
    06-18-2007 06:13 PM
    There are plenty of features on your list that aren't unique to one device. I didn't realise that was a requirement.
    Not my requirement - Apple's. When they set up their original list they intended to win in all areas. Their mistake with the N95 spoiled that slightly, but it was abundantly clear they wanted to look as if they dominated the competition. When you flesh out the list things are much less clear cut.

Surur
    06-18-2007 06:14 PM
    Then, by all means, surur, get on with your meta-analysis of every released smartphone the world will see within the next 3-6 months. That should keep you busy for, well ... 3-6 months.
    Its been done already.
    http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/grid.htm

Surur
    06-18-2007 06:16 PM
    Not my requirement - Apple's. When they set up their original list they intended to win in all areas. Their mistake with the N95 spoiled that slightly, but it was abundantly clear they wanted to look as if they dominated the competition.
    Surur, how long had that document been live on the web before Apple [or their contractor] corrected it? The Press Release is dated today, if I'm not mistaken.
    06-18-2007 06:16 PM
    Not my requirement - Apple's. When they set up their original list they intended to win in all areas. Their mistake with the N95 spoiled that slightly, but it was abundantly clear they wanted to look as if they dominated the competition. When you flesh out the list things are much less clear cut.
    I don't disagree with any of that except that your 'fleshing out' is even worse than Apple's. At least Apple's was in the context of a press release about an improved screen and battery life and the table is (mostly) relevant to that.
    06-18-2007 06:18 PM
    It shouldn't be about you. You make it about you.
    i don't agree. they make it about him. he makes it about the iphone.
    06-18-2007 06:18 PM
    Surur, how long had that document been live on the web before Apple [or their contractor] corrected it? The Press Release is dated today, if I'm not mistaken.
    At least a few hours. How is that relevant to my statement?

Surur
    06-18-2007 06:19 PM
    I don't disagree with any of that except that your 'fleshing out' is even worse than Apple's. At least Apple's was in the context of a press release about an improved screen and battery life and the table is (mostly) relevant to that.
    When was the last time we saw any other manufacturer post their own preliminary vs final benchmark results?
    06-18-2007 06:19 PM
    And the thickness and screen size were relevant how? They just threw those in there to spice the list up?

Surur
    06-18-2007 06:21 PM
    At least a few hours. How is that relevant to my statement?

Surur
    Your singular point is the intent of Apple manipulating a Press Release. Why would they bother correcting it when Palm and so many other mfrs never bother correcting [unless they find themselves in legal hot water, that is]?
    06-18-2007 06:22 PM
    When was the last time we saw any other manufacturer post their own preliminary vs final benchmark results?
    None, b/c most devices don't have a 6-month window between grand-announcement and release

Most phones just come out with little or no fanfare.
    06-18-2007 06:22 PM
    And the thickness and screen size were relevant how?
    I know you don't really need me to explain that to you.
    06-18-2007 06:24 PM
328 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD