9 percent of cell phone users want iPhone

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Your 2 week history of posting regurgitated sideswiping potshots, ad nauseum, against all-things-iPhone are a simple matter of record.

Given your lack of historical intellectual honesty, I'll take your your sideswiping potshots toward me as a compliment. :thumbsup:

Oh, you're a fanboy. I see. That explains everything.

It's a bit disturbing to see that you have been paying so much close attention to me. I don't consider anything I have said about the iPhone to be particularly harsh; I'm hoping it gets the issues that exist with it that make it a dealbreaker for me resolved (3G, either more Apple apps or allow real 3rd party development) because I don't have much faith left that Palm knows how to improve their products further. I personally really like Apple products, regret my last Windows Vista laptop purchase immensely, and would have loved the iPhone to have worked well for me this time around. IMO the only people who may feel I was so hard on the iPhone are fanboys. Which is particularly lame because in this instance you haven't even touched the thing you are so defensive about. Not to mention you are acting like this on a Palm forum (where you should really expect more Treo defensiveness than anything).

I don't want to hijack this thread any more than has already been done. Let's drop this, you can meet me somewhere real if you want to duke it out, that's up to you :rolleyes:

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
It's called being rational. You don't know what the questions were on that survey, how sound the data is, the credibility of the polling organization, how the people were selected to participate etc. etc etc. You just know a bullet point in a news story about it. Without some insight into the methodology and context of a poll you shouldn't give it your trust, let alone profess it to be truth in the news or in an online forum. I see all these sorts of polls as anecdotal. They may indicate a trend but they may be BS. This is why good science requires peer review.

What do you expect when you post a thread, no one will respond with alternate perspectives?

Rather than offering your own highly speculative anecdotes, why not deal directly with the source and their methods? You certainly have had ample time and opportunity, given your contributions(?) in this thread.

datasnack_big_apr07.gif

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Rather than offering your own highly speculative anecdotes, why not deal directly with the source and their methods? You certainly have had ample time and opportunity, given your contributions(?) in this thread.

datasnack_big_apr07.gif

That doesn't describe the source of polling or the methodology, that doesn't answer anything really. But where did you get that table, because in fairness to me it wasn't part of the story the original posted linked to. If there is more information it would certainly be interesting.

I never said the poll isn't valid but that you shouldn't blindly trust or use polls with out knowing the details behind them. We see polls used unwisely every day in the media, the market and politics to manipulate us by asking a question in a certain way to certain people and at a certain time. You can be a fool and believe anything you hear but I personally take a grain of salt with my news and look for validation to people's claims.

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
If you're so curious, why not research for a factual basis to your opinion on this poll? You have the source and obviously plenty of free time to pursue it. Or, are doubt and fear the only tools in your bag?

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
If you're so curious, why not research for a factual basis to your opinion on this poll? You have the source and obviously plenty of free time to pursue it. Or, are doubt and fear the only tools in your bag?

Where is the link to the official poll results?

tirk

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Can someone compare someone else to the Nazis so we can invoke Godwin's Law and close this thread please?

:D

beachtrader

May 16, 2006
Visit site
It's called being rational. You don't know what the questions were on that survey, how sound the data is, the credibility of the polling organization, how the people were selected to participate etc. etc etc. You just know a bullet point in a news story about it. Without some insight into the methodology and context of a poll you shouldn't give it your trust, let alone profess it to be truth in the news or in an online forum. I see all these sorts of polls as anecdotal. They may indicate a trend but they may be BS. This is why good science requires peer review.

What do you expect when you post a thread, no one will respond with alternate perspectives?

No, I assume people will take opposite views. But I also assume they will not make blanket statements saying the poll is meanlingness. Check out M:Metrics before you just say they are BS; they use very good science and are very well respected.

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
No, I assume people will take opposite views. But I also assume they will not make blanket statements saying the poll is meanlingness. Check out M:Metrics before you just say they are BS; they use very good science and are very well respected.

I'm certain braj will communicate directly and thoroughly with M:Metrics to determine if they use t-squared or another proven method of deduction, giving them a 95%+ p-value, given the random sampling of those polled. As for being 'peer reviewed', sorry braj, but you're on your own there as you're inappropriately flaunting a term you're not terribly familiar with. Scientific polling, while clearly using sound, peer reviewed methods, do not peer review polling results except possibly within the context of someone's meta-analysis.

Braj hasn't given any reason to doubt his research integrity, has he?

btw, braj ... I'm no apple-muppet fanboy. The last Apple product (desktop computer/40MB HD/cannot remember the model) I purchased was 18 years ago and haven't seen it in years. What were you doing 18 years ago?

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site

Thanks. That still doesn't give detailed info on who was polled, what questions asked etc. so how can you really understand what the poll means? And one thing I found gave me pause:

Among the UK subscribers who were aware of the iPhone, 30 percent, or seven million, reported strong interest in buying one, even though a launch date in Europe has yet to be announced.
But the thing is seven million people weren't polled.

Anyhow, I'm just skeptical by nature, so I take everything with a grain of salt.

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
Twisting in the wind over a poor choice of wording is a weak argument, at best, since the number of those polled is large @ 5,293 in the UK alone. The 7M signifies a very high confidence value.

Extrapolation. Look into it ... As well as all the rest of your statistical research. ;)

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Twisting in the wind over a poor choice of wording is a weak argument, at best, since the number of those polled is large @ 5,293 in the UK alone. The 7M signifies a very high confidence value.

Extrapolation. Look into it ... As well as all the rest of your statistical research. ;)

If you don't know the question was or who was asked, how can you possibly find the answer helpful? And the statement that '7 million people reported' anything was at least improperly worded and that alone throws some doubt into their methods. If they aren't careful here where else aren't they careful?

Any I'm not saying the numbers don't represent some reality, just exactly what that reality is is not properly defined in those study results or available for review on their website.

Your condescending posts to me many others are getting mighty old. Go grind your ax somewhere else. I'm just going to ignore you from now on, ok? I hope you don't mind.

samkim

Sep 27, 2004
Visit site
Can someone compare someone else to the Nazis so we can invoke Godwin's Law and close this thread please?

:D
You have to be a certain kind of person to want to shut down discussion just because you find the contents disagreeable! :mad:

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
If you don't know the question was or who was asked, how can you possibly find the answer helpful? And the statement that '7 million people reported' anything was at least improperly worded and that alone throws some doubt into their methods. If they aren't careful here where else aren't they careful?

Any I'm not saying the numbers don't represent some reality, just exactly what that reality is is not properly defined in those study results or available for review on their website.

Your condescending posts to me many others are getting mighty old. Go grind your ax somewhere else. I'm just going to ignore you from now on, ok? I hope you don't mind.

I'll just file this under unconcerned since it was your contention at your entry into this thread that the pollster meet your criteria for having a sound method of polling. You only know enough to speak in vague generalities, and even when all sources available are delivered to you on a silver platter, per your request, you bail out? That's what this is about to you? An internet pissing contest?

Call them. Email them. Interview them. Send smoke-signals but justify your argument with all the criteria you've demanded of the pollster. Otherwise ...

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Apparently, braj didn't see the humor in being held to the same standard he is regurgitatingly demanding of the pollster. I'm in shock, I tell you! Shock! ;)

On the pollster's site, they don't explain the poll in detail. I'm not wasting my time to 'send them smoke signals' etc to have them publish it. That's not my job.

The burden of proof doesn't lay with me, it lays with the polling organization. I don't need to research it to question it's validity. They need to provide the evidence, not me.

You have something against me? You've pointed out several places you feel I'm not 'intellectually honest' etc. Please just refrain from addressing me in the future if you don't like me. No need to keep this up here.

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
The '9% of people...' poll is meaningless. It's just like bad science, people don't scrutinize how many people were sampled, who analyzed the data, how the question was asked, where the question was asked.

No, it appears to be your job to cast doubt and fear where there is no justified basis. Don't make claims or counterclaims you, yourself, cannot fully support. Being the one to point this out does not make me evil. Just conscious. ;)

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Actually I agree with those who say polls can be questionable. Many people don't even participate in polls! Also, polls can be set so the results are skewed, by being overly selective in who is polled. Have you even seen a poll on TV and asked yourself, who did they ask, certainly not me or the people in my community!

I don't know if this one is or isn't accurate, just saying I can see what some mean.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro