9 percent of cell phone users want iPhone

beachtrader

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Of the people surveyed, how many had researched it enough to know it didn't have a replaceable battery, no IM, and you couldn't install any apps? How serious were they? I had a 'strong interest in buying one' myself before maybe two weeks ago when more info about the device was revealed. And I have great motivation to get one since I have friends that work for Apple asking me if I want one for a cool $350 with their discount. But I bought a Treo instead for $240 (and no limiting contract) because it is the minivan as opposed to the Ferrari.

Again, you are talking apples to my oranges. You assume that IM, apps and battery are issues for everyone. (for instance, how many phones actually have IM? of the hundreds of millions out there?) When you are stating your preferences not speaking for the entire public. That's why the number is at 9%, not 99%.

Just because these particular preferences are not available does not mean the number will be lower--you can't tell. The number might be higher or lower depending on what people think when they "test drive" it. However, strong buy interest usually translates to a purchase. Even if the number is 1/2 of the 9% that would still blow away target goals set by Apple (1%).

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Still comparing iPhones to Ferraris? :hmm:

It is probably the sleekest, slickest cel phone available currently, and @ $600 probably 10x the cost the average person wants to spend on a cel phone, when you can get a phone that can make a call from point a to point b just as well if not better. I think it's an apt comparison. Ferraris are 10x the price of an average $20,000 car.

I would love to see Palm OS modernized with the Quartz-type animations and graphic goodness Apple brings to the table. But it would likely end up more like a Camero than a Ferrari. Which is OK.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Again, you are talking apples to my oranges. You assume that IM, apps and battery are issues for everyone. (for instance, how many phones actually have IM? of the hundreds of millions out there?) When you are stating your preferences not speaking for the entire public. That's why the number is at 9%, not 99%.

Just because these particular preferences are not available does not mean the number will be lower--you can't tell. The number might be higher or lower depending on what people think when they "test drive" it. However, strong buy interest usually translates to a purchase. Even if the number is 1/2 of the 9% that would still blow away target goals set by Apple (1%).

The '9% of people...' poll is meaningless. It's just like bad science, people don't scrutinize how many people were sampled, who analyzed the data, how the question was asked, where the question was asked.

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
It is probably the sleekest, slickest cel phone available currently, and @ $600 probably 10x the cost the average person wants to spend on a cel phone, when you can get a phone that can make a call from point a to point b just as well if not better. I think it's an apt comparison. Ferraris are 10x the price of an average $20,000 car.

I would love to see Palm OS modernized with the Quartz-type animations and graphic goodness Apple brings to the table. But it would likely end up more like a Camero than a Ferrari. Which is OK.

Try comparing apples to apples [no pun intended] and your opinion may get past this regurgitated stuck-in-mud position it's in currently. A bit of intellectual honestly is called for here. Are you up to it and self-correct? :)

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
we'll all get this squared away and sorted out in soon time. by the way, i was at an apple store down in newport beach today....i know it's a kooky demographic but what i saw did truly surprise me. i personally witnessed 3 macbooks and 3 ipods being purchased in all of the 10 minutes that i was cruising around the store....nuts.

june 29, 6pm is what they're sayin....the salesperson had no idea if one was going to be able to initiate coverage right there at the store....i wouldn't think so but it was odd that he had no idea. oh well.

I've got an AT&T store and an Apple store right across from each other in the mall by me. I'm wondering how crazy that's going to be...

I don't get out of work till 3pm :( hope that's not too late to get a decent spot.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Try comparing apples to apples [no pun intended] and your opinion may get past this regurgitated stuck-in-mud position it's in currently. A bit of intellectual honestly is called for here. Are you up to it and self-correct? :)

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. So car analogies are lame, I admit that. You happy?

beachtrader

May 16, 2006
Visit site
The '9% of people...' poll is meaningless. It's just like bad science, people don't scrutinize how many people were sampled, who analyzed the data, how the question was asked, where the question was asked.

And you know this how? Years of Market Research and/or Statistics?

Why don't you just admit you won't buy the iPhone because it doesn't fit your needs and be done with it? Merely bashing something which isn't right for you has zero impact on everyone else. Why are you trolling the thread?

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site

Why don't you just admit you won't buy the iPhone because it doesn't fit your needs and be done with it? Merely bashing something which isn't right for you has zero impact on everyone else. Why are you trolling the thread?
Please give credit where credit is due. He's trolling every new thread that involves iPhone. ;)

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Honestly, [if there's such a thing among internet forums], what effect do you believe regurgitating the same complaints has on a potential buying market? The same posters repeating the same complaints, ad nauseum, with no regard. It's the puritanical mob mentality that keeps innovation away from the US market ... which feeds the mob's lust to complain. If only an equal degree of energy were applied to the things in life that really matter besides a $ in their pocket.

If you have a problem with me, then don't read or respond to my posts!! I'm only telling the reasons why I'M going to think carefully before getting an iPhone!! Did I say YOU didn't have right to spend your money on it? Can't you figure out I'm speaking from MY perspective?

BTW, does the "ignore poster" button work? If so, USE IT!! I'm FAR from puritanical and I don't appreciate your generalizations!!! You need to get over yourself, seriously!! :mad:

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Please give credit where credit is due. He's trolling every new thread that involves iPhone. ;)

You obviously don't know what trolling is. I didn't say anything negative against the iPhone, and specifically said it didn't fit my needs, but would be great for others. I like the damn thing.

Now I have a pretty balanced view on all of these devices, nothing is perfect and I don't consider myself an advocate of any of them. I bought a Palm OS Treo only because it is familiar, I have a ton of software invested in Palm OS, and it did all the things on my 'must do' list. Go with WM, Apple, Palm, Symbian, whatever. If it is valuable to you then that's what matters.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site

It's called being rational. You don't know what the questions were on that survey, how sound the data is, the credibility of the polling organization, how the people were selected to participate etc. etc etc. You just know a bullet point in a news story about it. Without some insight into the methodology and context of a poll you shouldn't give it your trust, let alone profess it to be truth in the news or in an online forum. I see all these sorts of polls as anecdotal. They may indicate a trend but they may be BS. This is why good science requires peer review.

What do you expect when you post a thread, no one will respond with alternate perspectives?

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
If you have a problem with me, then don't read or respond to my posts!! I'm only telling the reasons why I'M going to think carefully before getting an iPhone!! Did I say YOU didn't have right to spend your money on it? Can't you figure out I'm speaking from MY perspective?

BTW, does the "ignore poster" button work? If so, USE IT!! I'm FAR from puritanical and I don't appreciate your generalizations!!! You need to get over yourself, seriously!! :mad:

I only directed a single question to you, in particular. The rest of that post was an obvious generalization.

Originally Posted by C201 View Post
Honestly, [if there's such a thing among internet forums], what effect do you believe regurgitating the same complaints has on a potential buying market?

No need to get testy. No harm intended. :)

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site

WAIT! Braj said : The '9% of people...' poll is meaningless. It's just like bad science, people don't scrutinize how many people were sampled, who analyzed the data, how the question was asked, where the question was asked.

he is absolutely right! that is business marketing/stats 101....seriously.....c'mon folks, opinions are welcomed but facts are facts. Braj is nothing but right in this case, marketing questions and responses can be interpreted in so many ways...and when you have less than a controlled sample, good luck!!. as far as the car analogies go, that's another story

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
You obviously don't know what trolling is. I didn't say anything negative against the iPhone, and specifically said it didn't fit my needs, but would be great for others. I like the damn thing.

Given your 2 week tantrum, your record speaks for itself.

Now I have a pretty balanced view on all of these devices, nothing is perfect and I don't consider myself an advocate of any of them. I bought a Palm OS Treo only because it is familiar, I have a ton of software invested in Palm OS, and it did all the things on my 'must do' list. Go with WM, Apple, Palm, Symbian, whatever. If it is valuable to you then that's what matters.

Why don't you just give the iPhone to me? I promise to slowly torture it by running excessive amounts of data through it, I'll be rough on the screen, play it too loud, run it's batteries dry, and give it one or two drops onto the pavement over the next couple of years :D Make it suffer a little bit over a long time.

Yeah .... That's 'balanced'. :shake:

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Given your 2 week tantrum, your record speaks for itself.

Yeah .... That's 'balanced'. :shake:

you obviously didn't get the joke. That guy started a thread saying he wanted to smash the iPhone as soon as he could. I said 'give it to me instead and I'll torture it with extended use'. The 'give it one or two drops onto the pavement over the next couple of years ' in a couple of years reflects real-world situations we all do with a device. How many gadgets have you accidentally dropped? Notice everything I said is what a real user would do.

If you didn't get the joke you are pretty darn dense. You can give up your personal crusade against me, it doesn't appear you are bright enough to win.

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
So much for intellectual capacity.
Your 2 week history of posting regurgitated sideswiping potshots, ad nauseum, against all-things-iPhone are a simple matter of record.

Given your lack of historical intellectual honesty, I'll take your your sideswiping potshots toward me as a compliment. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR