9 percent of cell phone users want iPhone

beachtrader

May 16, 2006
Visit site
http://news.com.com/Poll+9+percent+...1395.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-5&subj=news

Nearly 1 in 10 cell phone users in the U.S. has "a strong interest" in buying an Apple iPhone, according to a study released Friday by M:Metrics.

Poll results show about 9 percent of the 11,064 mobile phone users surveyed were inclined to purchase the highly touted iPhone, set for release June 29. That translates to about 19 million people when projected out, based on the U.S. Census, according to M:Metrics, a research company that tracks mobile phone use.

Of those who indicated a strong interest in buying an iPhone, 67 percent were customers of carriers other than AT&T. Often it was Sprint and T-Mobile customers who indicated they were willing to switch, an M:Metrics representative said.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
T-Mobile USA has lame phones and no 3G, so I can see why THEY would want to switch!

But Sprint has high-speed and low prices(although their CS stinks). That one's a little surprising. They will be in for a rude awakening looking at their bills, LOL!

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
T-Mobile USA has lame phones and no 3G, so I can see why THEY would want to switch!

TMo is scheduled for 3G deployment this year.

But Sprint has high-speed and low prices(although their CS stinks). That one's a little surprising. They will be in for a rude awakening looking at their bills, LOL!

May be the plan costs will deter some-to-many from switching carriers, but only an idiot would have a rude awakening. Unless they were asleep while choosing their plan in the first place.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
:evil: You don't know ATT very well do you? Flipping(salespeople changing features so customer will pay more but "forgetting" to tell customer. Be careful inquiring about anything or you may get your plan changed on you!), unexpected data costs, inconsistency about what you get with what plan, etc. etc.

As for T USA, half the year is gone, no 3G. And they still have lame phone releases. I'd leave for an exciting iPhone too if I were stuck with them! No 3G won't be a problem for users who never had any anyway! Although all T-Mobile phones do have IM clients. :evil:

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
:evil: You don't know ATT very well do you? Flipping(salespeople changing features so customer will pay more but "forgetting" to tell customer. Be careful inquiring about anything or you may get your plan changed on you!), unexpected data costs, inconsistency about what you get with what plan, etc. etc.

Though I've been with AT&T for over 10 years, I've never experienced a problem with undisclosed features. Other problems which did get resolved but nothing like what you describe. I'm sure it happens just as much proportionately with each of the carriers. I've got accounts with 3 of the 4 majors for various biz/personal needs, but can honestly say that I just don't have those problems.

As for T USA, half the year is gone, no 3G. And they still have lame phone releases. I'd leave for an exciting iPhone too if I were stuck with them! No 3G won't be a problem for users who never had any anyway! Although all T-Mobile phones do have IM clients. :evil:

It's been known for some time that TMo will be lighting it up towards year end, which is considerably sooner than they had originally expected. 3G has nothing to do with at least the initial iPhone launch anyway. Non-issue for the time being.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
What I meant was since T-Mobile has only EDGE and boring phones, T-Mobile customers may not have a problem going with the iPhone. It also has EDGE, but is better than 95% of T-Mobile USA's current line-up.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Of course 9% of US users want an iPhone. What percentage wants a Ferrari? How many realistically can afford one? How many families with kids could afford to spend their money on a car with only two seats when they need a minivan?

I'd love an iPhone but not for $500+, not with apparently some of the major limitations V1.0 will have. 2.0 though may be a different story.

beachtrader

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Of course 9% of US users want an iPhone. What percentage wants a Ferrari? How many realistically can afford one?

The story indicates this 9% has a strong interest in buying one. That means they can afford it. The metrics of the survey eliminated the "I would like to have one" people.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
What I meant was since T-Mobile has only EDGE and boring phones, T-Mobile customers may not have a problem going with the iPhone. It also has EDGE, but is better than 95% of T-Mobile USA's current line-up.

wait, i have T-Mobile, am truly impressed with their customer service, and it is where i purchased my Blackberry Pearl. T-Mo also offers the Blackberry 8800 (big-bro Pearl). they also carry the RAZR/KRZR lineup as well as the Nokia and Samsung brands. they offer the Sidekick for those who might want such a device.

isn't "boring" and "lame" (as you state in the latter half of your message) a bit of a stretch here?

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
3G: been there done that. same with EVDO and EDGE. the felt difference isn't great enough between any of them, at least to me.

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
olaverex

If you can't feel the difference between EDGE and EVDO. please pass me the pipe!

It's night and day.

Compare 1RxTT to EDGE....sure it feels similar.

but EVDO Rev. 0 is much faster, and EVDO Rev A. is blazing. (relative)

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
If you can't feel the difference between EDGE and EVDO. please pass me the pipe!

It's night and day.

Compare 1RxTT to EDGE....sure it feels similar.

but EVDO Rev. 0 is much faster, and EVDO Rev A. is blazing. (relative)

oalvarez does not use his smartphones for fun, and for e-mail it would hardly make a difference.

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
^i'll buy that statement! for the occasional "google look-up" or "cnn headline" browse, you're right, i really don't use it for fun.

i'll be honest, i'm sure the speed differences are great and welcomed by many.

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site

Not trying to be argumentative here, but your claim of 95% of TMo's lineup lacking Edge seemed implausible. So in doing a quick check of their current model lineup, it appears that 63% do not have Edge support. Then again, if one of your driving reasons for getting a RAZR (just a hypothetical) is to download and play videos, watch TV, etc. there are plenty of other market choices who will be more than glad to charge you an inappropriate sum for that indulgence.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
The story indicates this 9% has a strong interest in buying one. That means they can afford it. The metrics of the survey eliminated the "I would like to have one" people.

Read my post again. Afford it means to me it practical, cost effective and does everything you need. An expensive car that I can't carry the kids in is not a good value for me.

With the iPhone not bundling chat, not allowing 3rd party native apps (web apps I'm not even counting, what if you have no signal? Then you have no functionality. I'll wait and see before considering them a part of the package). No 3G to make it through the next two years as a top-of-the-line experience. Basically I couldn't work on an iPhone as it exists currently. So for me I can't afford it. I can't spend $500 on something that doesn't do all I need it to. I could afford $700 if it did. You get my point? That this isn't 3G is pretty ridiculous actually since they claim it is 5 years ahead, when it is behind on the bandwidth functionality. And no chat? Someone should be fired. iChat should be there.

I really, really wanted to like the iPhone, I love Macs and would have gotten one if it was ready for me. So instead I got a cheap Treo to last me through the next year or two until something better comes along. Maybe it will be an iPhone or maybe a Treo, we'll see.

C201

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
Of course 9% of US users want an iPhone. What percentage wants a Ferrari? How many realistically can afford one? How many families with kids could afford to spend their money on a car with only two seats when they need a minivan?

You do realize what an inappropriately exaggerated comparison you're making, don't you? :rolleyes:

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
wait, i have T-Mobile, am truly impressed with their customer service, and it is where i purchased my Blackberry Pearl. T-Mo also offers the Blackberry 8800 (big-bro Pearl). they also carry the RAZR/KRZR lineup as well as the Nokia and Samsung brands. they offer the Sidekick for those who might want such a device.

isn't "boring" and "lame" (as you state in the latter half of your message) a bit of a stretch here?

The Pearl is great, but ATT's version is actually better. RAZR is old and they have too many in their line-up. KRZR is sorta cool, but it's Moto :thumbsdn: . Their line-up for Nokia and Samsung is lame compared to what's out there. Sidekick, YUK!

Like I said, boring and lame. Look at T-Mobile's UK site and see the difference!

The boring line-up is one reason why a lot of people just buy their own unlocked phones and use them on T-Mobile USA.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Not trying to be argumentative here, but your claim of 95% of TMo's lineup lacking Edge seemed implausible. So in doing a quick check of their current model lineup, it appears that 63% do not have Edge support. Then again, if one of your driving reasons for getting a RAZR (just a hypothetical) is to download and play videos, watch TV, etc. there are plenty of other market choices who will be more than glad to charge you an inappropriate sum for that indulgence.

I meant the iPhone is better than 95% of T-Mobile USA's line-up, even though it too only has EDGE.

ATT does have RAZRs that are 3G and you can download videos and watch TV. But RAZR is just played out and still has a crippled Moto OS.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-phone-shop/

Take a look there. T-Mobile UK has all the LATEST high tech phones, T-Mobile USA has older stuff for the most part. They've even got the newest and coolest SE phones!! The Prada phone is there too.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods