View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
    But that's bad for the environment if people just decide to chuck the phones because there's no options after the battery dies. They will at least need to offer a recycling program! They recycle iPods all the time, probably for the same reason.
    06-14-2007 10:38 AM
    i'm sure they've thought of this. at the same time, the ipods that i've owned have never experienced any battery issues.
    06-14-2007 10:52 AM
    I have one with a totally dead battery. It'll have to be replaced. I have 2 others that are starting to lose full capacity when they charge. I got rid of another that had that problem(sold to someone who wanted the hard drive). These are all about 1 1/2-2 years old or so. These are all minis, however. The video iPods haven't started losing charge yet.
    06-14-2007 11:09 AM
    this is what apples says about batteries:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/
    06-14-2007 03:01 PM
    I think not having a removable battery is huge. The Treo 600 didn't have a removable battery, but if you pulled the battery on that then you would lose everything. So I kind of understood it on the 600, however I think apple is making a HUGE mistake!
    06-14-2007 03:31 PM
    Not having a removable battery is a HUGE issue in any phone, especially a smartphone/pda.

Having to charge it all the time is a PITA.

I use my Treo at least 18 hours a day and always swap batteries.

Without this ability, I would be *** out.

Oh well. Apple is pulling a Treo 600 move.

$1,000 bucks say generation 2 (or 3) of iphone has replaceable battery.
    06-14-2007 04:14 PM

I use my Treo at least 18 hours a day and always swap batteries.

Without this ability, I would be *** out.

Wow, 18 hours a day? Aren't you worried about brain tumors? That's extreme by anyone's standards. Seriously, don't you lose your voice after, say 3 or 4 hours?

This device is not for everyone, and it's not marketed as though it were - it's friggin' $600! Smart/Smart-ish phone with an apparent lack of appeal to serious enterprise users - it is what it is. If it appeals to you, buy it. If it isn't going to meet your needs, take it back for a refund. Making negative comments regarding theoretical usage limitations - especially something as subjective as HYPOTHESIZED battery longevity is ridiculous. I can't wait until this thing hits the shelves so we can complain/rejoice over REAL issues this device exhibits. There are still FAR too many unknown variables to determine whether or not this thing will be a smash hit or a dismal failure.

I used a 600 for two years without any battery issues. My wife has a 30GB iPod that is still plugging away after MANY hours of use for both music and my using it for RAW image file storage on trips. My 650 lasted a year and a half with the original battery. My current device (8125) is over a year old now on the same battery.

In short, the lack of a battery door doesn't bother me much at all.
    06-14-2007 04:39 PM
    Making negative comments regarding theoretical usage limitations - especially something as subjective as HYPOTHESIZED battery longevity is ridiculous.
    Sorry, these are ACTUAL limitations, or are you going to spin the lack of a removable battery as a good thing.

Surur
    06-14-2007 05:09 PM
    5 generations of iPods and still no removable battery. Steve can be a stubborn guy. It took him over twenty years to sell a Mac with a multi-button mouse.
    06-14-2007 05:39 PM
    Sorry, these are ACTUAL limitations, or are you going to spin the lack of a removable battery as a good thing.

Surur
    Nope on both counts.
    The battery may, indeed, be crap for longevity - but "ACTUAL limitations" would be supported by tangible evidence; which you nor anyone else here has. We will soon enough. Im not saying the iPhone is going to have good/bad/average battery life because I've never used one or seen any objective publications regarding it (because there AREN'T any). That's why it's ridiculous to speculate about the iPhone's battery life - or nearly anything else at this point. Wait sixteen more days and you can laugh at us because you were right or crawl under a rock in shame.
    And nope, I'm not spinning the lack of a battery door as a good thing. I think I was pretty clear in my statement that it doesn't bother me. That suggests that I don't really care whether it has a removable battery or not. My past experience with "converged devices" has proven that MY particular needs don't normally require more juice than the standard battery has over the course of a single day. When it's a problem, I have a charger handy. Simple enough.
    06-14-2007 06:12 PM
    Lithium batteries lose charge over 2 years, plain and simple. That's NOT speculation! I find it very hard to believe you get a full charge still after 2 years on either your 600 or your wife's iPod!! UNLESS you don't use them often. Then you can eek out battery life longer.

I haven't lost much charge from my video iPods either, because I don't use them every single day. However, on those I used on a constant basis, the battery did begin to lose full charge capacity. One of my phones batteries is draining faster now. It's from use, plain and simple.
    06-14-2007 06:25 PM
    Diva, I'll give you that, for sure - BUT - how many phones have you used for two+ years? That's really a valid point here - will the typical American consumer who can afford this device still be using it near it's end of life cycle? Based on the history of posts by users on this forum, the majority will not. For those who do, I'm sure the warranty will cover battery replacement. Figuring the device is not defective, most people won't complain too much if they get a year and a half out of the device and just have to send it in for a battery replacement - and that's assuming the thing is impossible to get into to begin with. Even the iPod battery is accessible if you have a strong stomach and are slightly careful (and make an effort to use appropriate tools). In my opinion, it's still much ado about nothing. Let's just see how this thing does before we start complaining - that's all I'm saying. There are more than a few of us willing to be the guinea pigs...
    06-14-2007 06:47 PM
    Here's how to bottom line this.

There are people that just don't like Apple. Nothing they do, even if they added every feature that the detractors want would make them happy.

There are the WM fanboys (and perhaps Series 60 fanboys) like Surur (yes Surur, if you're going to throw the "fanboy" label around, you need to apply it to yourself as well)

Then there are the Treo sycophants who bow to the Hawkins alter, and get hysterical if you can't understand why anyone would not want one...

It doesn't matter what Apple does, they'll find something to ***** about.
    06-14-2007 06:59 PM
    ^ i'm really liking this guy
    06-14-2007 07:29 PM
    Diva, I'll give you that, for sure - BUT - how many phones have you used for two+ years? That's really a valid point here - will the typical American consumer who can afford this device still be using it near it's end of life cycle? Based on the history of posts by users on this forum, the majority will not. For those who do, I'm sure the warranty will cover battery replacement. Figuring the device is not defective, most people won't complain too much if they get a year and a half out of the device and just have to send it in for a battery replacement - and that's assuming the thing is impossible to get into to begin with. Even the iPod battery is accessible if you have a strong stomach and are slightly careful (and make an effort to use appropriate tools). In my opinion, it's still much ado about nothing. Let's just see how this thing does before we start complaining - that's all I'm saying. There are more than a few of us willing to be the guinea pigs...

But we're talking about a phone for phone usage first. Not much ado about nothing when you can no longer use your phone for at least a full waking hours day, due to insufficient charge. If there's still a 2 yr. agreement, you'll be stuck with that option. Archie says this is no longer a requirement. I don't know. But if it is, and you use your phone a lot, that's not good. If you can replace the phone's battery through Apple, that'd be a lot better! But sending out your phone is a PITA, it always is, no matter what model.

I like Apple BTW. But what you can get away with for an MP3 player isn't necessarily the same for a phone. Once the battery life starts shortening, all we need to know are what the options are for the iPhone when that happens, before we dish out $600 and suffer an ATT contract.

With all due respect to those who think we shouldn't say anything, we have a right to question what we're getting into for that much of a commitment. YOU may not, but some others will and that's their right IMO!
    06-14-2007 07:59 PM
    One question, I doubt anyone can answer right now, but, if the battery isn't replaceable, is the sim card at least accessible? That would bug me way more than the battery. Say the phone dies and you need to service, or you are going jogging and want to take a beater phone with you, can you swap out the sim?
    06-14-2007 08:19 PM
    what sim?
    06-14-2007 08:46 PM
    Here's how to bottom line this.

There are people that just don't like Apple. Nothing they do, even if they added every feature that the detractors want would make them happy.

There are the WM fanboys (and perhaps Series 60 fanboys) like Surur (yes Surur, if you're going to throw the "fanboy" label around, you need to apply it to yourself as well)

Then there are the Treo sycophants who bow to the Hawkins alter, and get hysterical if you can't understand why anyone would not want one...

It doesn't matter what Apple does, they'll find something to ***** about.
    Insertion - it takes one to know one

Anyway, you left out the part where Apple deserves derision for their odd and unusual decisions. Things like no removable battery, no real third party apps, no subsidy etc. Even some Apple fans are appalled by Apple's handling of the IPhone.

eg:
    The iPhone is a joke. And I say this as an Apple geek who normally buys anything with an Apple logo on it.
    Surur
    06-14-2007 08:55 PM
    what sim?
    GSM SIM card. I choose Cingular/ATT because it's GSM and it makes it asy to switch to another phone, or when travelling, another SIM for another country.
    06-14-2007 09:05 PM
    I care but it's not a deal breaker. I want something that works and a company (Apple) that will give me regular updates unlike Palm .... 1 year for the 700p and the update screwed things up more than ever.

I had a Treo 300 and 600 with no removable battery and lived. In fact I rarely ever remove the 700p battery.
    06-14-2007 09:50 PM
    Insertion - it takes one to know one

Anyway, you left out the part where Apple deserves derision for their odd and unusual decisions. Things like no removable battery, no real third party apps, no subsidy etc. Even some Apple fans are appalled by Apple's handling of the IPhone.

eg:

Surur
    I don't deny my fanboy-ism for Apple. I tend to think I have a realistic view of them though. They've done things in the past that have left me dumbfounded, and during the Sculley era, I all but gave up on them. Currently, not a big Apple TV fan, and I can't stand Finder in OSX.

They're like any other company to me, however the products that I do like, I like a lot.

The iPhone is something I want. But you won't catch me calling it the end all, be all device. Never said it would be either here, or my own forum.

I only want a few things:
    Calendar
    Contacts
    Web Browsing
    Emails
    Good phone quality
    and lastly, sync seamlessly with my Macs! It burns my *** that I have to pay money to have a WM device sort of sync. (And I've been a WM fan since the Palm_Sized PC days)

I personally don't care about IM. I rarely even IM on my computer. MMS? Ever tried to MMS on Sprint? GPS would be nice, but not a deal killer. I've got plenty of car chargers for my iPods, so keeping it juiced won't be an issue.

So far, on paper, it's a good device for me. But if it flakes out, crashes, something doesn't work, I'll be the first one starting a "Class Action Suit!! Who's With ME??!!" thread. Okay, maybe not...but I'll let you know it's deficiencies once I've had it long enough.
    06-14-2007 09:57 PM
    GSM SIM card. I choose Cingular/ATT because it's GSM and it makes it asy to switch to another phone, or when travelling, another SIM for another country.
    so one could easily get to the sim but not the battery? hec, this isn't making any sense even to me!
    06-14-2007 10:12 PM
    ^ i'm really liking this guy
    Re Insertion, his 9,700 posts tell you he is one popular guy here. I remember him well from the Treo 600 Treo 650 Launches when everyone is making fun of the endless Treo resets and crashes. He is one of the old Treo faithfuls like many of the Mac guys here (me included). I used to enjoy these Treo forums when he drops one of his hilarious and funny scripts

Am surprised Insertion is actually answering Surur's cr...p with a serious tone.
    06-14-2007 10:54 PM
    hey, at the end of the day, people are finally starting to see clearly....how long have i been saying this for????

Treos suck
    06-15-2007 01:21 AM
    Am surprised Insertion is actually answering Surur's cr...p with a serious tone.
    Yes, because its completely without merit, isn't it.

In fact I was not calling Insertion a fanboy, this is the first time I have seen him give any opinion on the IPhone.

Surur
    06-15-2007 02:23 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD