IPhone - No MMS, IM or GPS - Fanboys explode

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Yeah, you must always look at your phone to see where and what you're touching to operate it correctly.

This interface would have made a great new iPod alone concept though. Touchscreen MP3 and video player with a similar brilliant screen would rock! For a phone, it's going to be an experiment.
This just goes to show how different people are! I have no problem having to look at a phone to operate it (as a phone) and pretty much the only thing I ever want to do without looking at it is change the volume on a call. iPhone will be fine in that respect. OTOH I really like it that can operate my iPod just by reaching into my pocket. Not full functionality of course but pause/play, volume, skip. Mostly a security thing - I'd rather not wave it around in public. iPhone gets a point deducted for the lack of a click wheel.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
The only good thing is a thief may not be able to use an iPhone if it's stolen. But you pull that thing out too many times and some :censored: will probably try snatching it out of your hand!

I usually hide my stuff in my purse and operate it from there. This may be a little hard to do with an iPhone.

I was thinking of the video quality of the screen for a video iPod, although now that you mention it, a click wheel might help there too.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I was thinking of the video quality of the screen for a video iPod, although now that you mention it, a click wheel might help there too.
It might, but at the expense of making the device bigger or the screen smaller, both pretty undesirable in my view.

There's no perfect solution to that general problem as far as I can see. There has to be a compromise. Apple went big screen while (most) others have gone small screen or slider/flip. The advantages to a big screen in a small device are obvious, but I'm guessing that a lot of the success of the iPhone will hinge on how people get on without a lot of the mechanical controls they're used to. In the MacWorld keynote Jobs made play of how much more flexible the interface is when freed from buttons. That's true of course. A device with a mechanical QWERTY, big screen, phone buttons, a bunch of PIM app buttons, and a click wheel doesn't sound too great to me :)

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
It might, but at the expense of making the device bigger or the screen smaller, both pretty undesirable in my view.

There's no perfect solution to that general problem as far as I can see. There has to be a compromise. Apple went big screen while (most) others have gone small screen or slider/flip. The advantages to a big screen in a small device are obvious, but I'm guessing that a lot of the success of the iPhone will hinge on how people get on without a lot of the mechanical controls they're used to. In the MacWorld keynote Jobs made play of how much more flexible the interface is when freed from buttons. That's true of course. A device with a mechanical QWERTY, big screen, phone buttons, a bunch of PIM app buttons, and a click wheel doesn't sound too great to me :)

I dont know, a capacitive scroll strip on the side, kind of like the JOGGR, but longer, would have been pretty effective without compromising screen size.

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I dont know, a capacitive scroll strip on the side, kind of like the JOGGR, but longer, would have been pretty effective without compromising screen size.
I guess you could say that a JOGGR is a bit like a linearised click wheel and as such it could replace quite a bit of click wheel functionality. As I understand it though it has only the scroll bit plus two buttons so getting it to replace all of the functionality of a click wheel (which has five buttons) might be tricky. Obviously it wouldn't be able to replace a numeric or QWERTY keyboard in any sensible way at all.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
i thought that laughable too, so i dismissed it.

funny

Voice dialing without looking at the screen is pretty well accepted, and on WM voice command works very well for e.g. selecting which artist to play.

Your dismissal is unwarranted.

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
^^ oops, you win....i was seriously thinking "volume control." as for the voice control, i hear ya....but i personally yet to speak to my phone.

please dismiss the original dismissal.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
but i personally yet to speak to my phone.

I thought Apple surely would have been all over this kind of functionality. They had voice control on OS 9 and earlier (do they still?). This would have been handy for the blind who obviously will get nowhere with multi touch. But I guess that's a whole other market ;)

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Wow...I wonder how many there will be by the end of the month.

Again, that looks to be only a mock-up app so people can pretend they have an iPhone on their desktop. A real functional app likely won't be seen until the iPhone is out. And personally I wouldn't trust it to a small time web developer, as you may have read all your data goes through his server. I'd want the app to be hosted by someone I could trust as being secure. And then I would want an integrated app that could handle cross-network chats on at least AOL, YIM, MSN and Google Talk.

This begs the question if you can have multiple Safari windows active at once though. If not it will be very limited in its usefulness. Will it be able to run in the background while you browse another site or check your email? That sort of thing.

bruckwine

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
I can see ppl wanting to multitask all these cool "apps" getting into a data bottleneck unless they hang around wifi spots all day...

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I can see ppl wanting to multitask all these cool "apps" getting into a data bottleneck unless they hang around wifi spots all day...

I think SlingPlayer is a cool app. Even that Cingular tune ID app is a cool app. I dont think a shopping list is a cool app.

Surur