IPhone - No MMS, IM or GPS - Fanboys explode

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
But what I was saying is ATT makes sure they get paid if you use either. I bet you not everyone uses unlimited data plans. Look here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/messaging-internet/messaging/instant-messaging.jsp

Q. Is there a cost to sign in to IM on my wireless phone?

A. Signing in to IM through the IM or Messaging icon on your phone is free. If you access IM through MEdia Net, you will incur data charges per kb of usage.

Q.What is the cost for sending and receiving Instant Messages?

A. You are charged $0.15 for each message you send and receive. For a better value, sign-up for a MEdia Bundle.

No, thats IM using SMS messages, not data, and at a nice $0.15 per message. 6 lines will cost you a $1.

Trust me, they are greedy. They want to be paid for both, Data AND SMS.

Surur

mobileman

Apr 28, 2004
Visit site
As an adult who works in IT, I can attest that I use chat LOTS to be in touch with people all over the world and communicate simultaneously with people across 3 IM services all day, every day. I woudn't buy a smartphone without IM,. Lots of IT business happens over IM, I'm not alone. And I'd rather chat with some people because I'll have a log to forward or refer to where a phone call requires me keeping track in some separate way.

I totally agree. I use IM all the time at work. Hard to believe a $600 phone cannot do the same thing that my wifes free flip phone can.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Hard to believe a $600 phone cannot do the same thing that my wifes free flip phone can.

Yeah, which makes me wonder when, not if, they will get an IM client out. Hopefully by release if they really understand the markey.

For those saying ATT will pressure them not to include chat, my SE phones have had chat from ATT and Cingular, I don't see why the rules would be different for Apple.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Yeah, which makes me wonder when, not if, they will get an IM client out. Hopefully by release if they really understand the markey.

For those saying ATT will pressure them not to include chat, my SE phones have had chat from ATT and Cingular, I don't see why the rules would be different for Apple.

Chat via SMS maybe?

Surur

Felipe#WP

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
if I were getting this phone, no sms or no mms would stop me, but I could see where it would be an issue.

Especially for the beth ann and BFF Jill contingent. See.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Chat via SMS maybe?

Surur

I don't know, my w600i has a full-fledged POP/IMAP email client, Yahoo/MSN/AIM chat client, WAP browser. (actually reluctantly got a Treo because my TX digitizer is dying, the phone is pretty "smart" actually) Personally I think they are content with a $20 unlimited data plan from most people. That's some good money, I pay about the same for my home DSL.

I think this is more of an issue of Apple wanting to get the phone out the door before the competition can catch up (and not really being ready) so it is still "5 years ahead" than any nefarious plan between Apple and AT&T. Besides, isn't the iPhone going to be tied to a $500 pricetag for 2 years/$40 a months unlimited data plan like Treos are anyway? That's how they get people, by saying you get a savings if you sign the contract. I bought an unlocked phone simply to avoid the contract and the $20 more a month for unlimited SMS/MMS. I can make due with 200 messages per month.

The iPhone's web browser is certainly looking to be top of it's class, and the phone OS and hardware also seem the best out there, but I feel a Treo is still a better device for me right now. But iPhone 2.0 may change that, especially if they can get the size and then cost down a bit.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
You know your w600i is actually a proper Symbian smartphone, cunningly hidden inside an innocuous shell. It runs the same foundation as the Nokia E62 etc.

Its a pity the Iphone does so much less than a simple Symbian smartphone.
Look here for much more NATIVE software for your smartphone.
http://www.my-symbian.com/main/index3.php

Surur

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
You know your w600i is actually a proper Symbian smartphone, cunningly hidden inside an innocuous shell. It runs the same foundation as the Nokia E62 etc.

Actually no, it runs Ericsson's OS, I've been using it for years and years and it isn't Symbian, it isn't compatible. But it is a great little phone (I like the SE OS a lot too) and my wife now happily uses it. Lots of years of fine tuning the interface has made a very mature UI, for one-handed operation it beats a Treo hands-down. It even has a little movie maker app that you can add titles, transitions, and edit movies with it, then send them via email or MMS. I would love to see that on a Treo. Which just goes to show you that Palm really doesn't do much to enhance the user experience of their devices. Apple on the other hand may be missing some things right now but I fully trust they will get it all dialed in very soon. The fit and finish of their products is probably the best in the business, and though they aren't the best bang for buck in features it is hard to put a price on something as subjective as usability or pride of ownership. I'm sure the great majority of iPhone 1.0 users will be ecstatic, and we'll all be a bit jealous, even as we accurately point out it's flaws.

ScandaLeX

Jan 29, 2004
Visit site
You know that you can use the e-mail client to send photos or videos to a phone number right?

Say you number is (888) 555-1234:
just enter 8885551234@tmobile.net or whatever...

No need for a specialized MMS client that is needlessly taking up extra space.

No offense, but this is plain ridiculous. What are the chances of knowing what carrier that cell number is connected too? Most people, IMO, dont think in terms of carrier. All they know is that this is your cell number.

Based on what your propose, I'd have to create a "carrier" category just so I'd be able to send a photo or video; who has that kind of time?

fgkay

Aug 12, 2002
Visit site
No offense, but this is plain ridiculous. What are the chances of knowing what carrier that cell number is connected too? Most people, IMO, dont think in terms of carrier. All they know is that this is your cell number.
QUOTE]

I concur.

There's another issue with this workaround: On my Sprint Q (and when I had a 700wx), when I send a pic using my sprint pop email account, it shows up on the recipient's phone with "unkown sender". I've had messages w/pics deleted by users who won't open such a message.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Archie,

If there is no mention of IM or Google Talk in relation to the iPhone (outside of the fact it doesn't have them) why would we assume it will later on or "outside of the box"?

Unless Apple says it will eventually or something publicly, the logical thing is to suggest it won't have them. Indirect references by a single poster on TC suggesting that it will support does not constitute evidence. Otherwise, what is the hold up? This device has been 2 years in the making and there is no obvious reason for no iChat included, is there?

We can only discuss what we know and has been made public.

Here's an iChat client for the iPhone.

http://www.publictivity.com/iphonechat/

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Here's a app to check for the closest and cheapest gas prices.

There are other apps out there too, RSS readers and such.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site

Based on what your propose, I'd have to create a "carrier" category just so I'd be able to send a photo or video; who has that kind of time?
No you wouldn't. Just sync with Address Book. It records that info automatically... oh, wait you are probably on a PC. :p

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Personally I think the whole touch scrolling 'wow' animations are cool and all, but just like the dock it probably would get old real quick. A D-pad clicking up or down seems like less real work and probably better for me personally.

I really want to like the iPhone but I think it's going to take some time to mature. Which is completely understandable. It sure is pretty though.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Yeah, you must always look at your phone to see where and what you're touching to operate it correctly.

This interface would have made a great new iPod alone concept though. Touchscreen MP3 and video player with a similar brilliant screen would rock! For a phone, it's going to be an experiment.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR