IPhone - No MMS, IM or GPS - Fanboys explode

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Macrumors is a forum full of 15 year olds waiting to spend their dads money.

Steve said from day one there was no GPS on the iPhone (though triangulation was something that was a possibility) and we also new that the only messaging client to be initially bundled with the phone was SMS texting.

This is the truth.

To say you have been bamboozle is unbelievable, especially since you yourself do not intend on getting one.

Oh, by the way. There are hundreds of stores for people to try the phone before they buy so Apple is not trying to trick anyone into buying the iPhone. In fact; as I have said before, they are underpromising and over-delivering as should be evidenced by their upgrading and feature adding procedures throughout the life of the product.

Archie, its no me who's bamboozled. Its your fellow i-fanboys.

Why dont you go and calm them down by telling them to lower their expectations. I'm sure that will go down well...

Lets see...

"Dont worry about MMS. All we need is the spirit of Jobs..."

Oh... and for the record, YES, I do think Apple has used Zirconia in the iPhone body. Why is this an issue?

It shows the extent of your unrealistic expectations. Has it occurred to you that plastic is also radio-lucent?

Surur

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Look folks, its the palm fanboys vs the iphone fanboys!!! fanboys, fanboys, fanboys. Everything's gotta have fanboys!

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Whatever the expectations are/were for people, the fact is had the iPhone come with IM built in (iChat) and had GPS to use with that sweet Google Maps, it would have been very nice and an added selling point to differentiate themselves from the competition.

Everyone here can rationalize why they don't have those features, how they "don't really need them" or "maybe later" but no one is going to turn down those features had they included them.

I mean, come on--you don't think GPS would have been awesome on here? No one is disappointed?

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
It shows the extent of your unrealistic expectations. Has it occurred to you that plastic is also radio-lucent?

Surur
Yes, it has occured to me. But it has also occured to me that everytime the iPhone is dropped the plastic will easily break when this heavy end of the phone hits the ground first. That is why Zirconia is used.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
You know that you can use the e-mail client to send photos or videos to a phone number right?

Say you number is (888) 555-1234:
just enter 8885551234@tmobile.net or whatever...

No need for a specialized MMS client that is needlessly taking up extra space.

Of course this sending MMS via e-mail, its very Apple-like isn't it, doing things the hardest way, having to remember on which network all your friends are. So simple!

And you know you need down-scaled pictures to send via MMS, otherwise the gateway rejects them.

Actually, you probably dont know. I really shouldn't expect you to know complicated details like that...

Surur

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
No IM client will make the younger crowd unhappy. Actually, I'm not even that young and I'm not happy about that either. No IM? Come on, that's a basic these days!

Also, no MMS at that price makes me scratch my head.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
No IM client will make the younger crowd unhappy. Actually, I'm not even that young and I'm not happy about that either. No IM? Come on, that's a basic these days!

Also, no MMS at that price makes me scratch my head.
Agreed.

I happen to find IM a bit tedious on just about every device I've used...just b/c typing that much back and forth on a phone, when you could just call, seems odd to me. Since there are so many companies offering it though (Octro, IM+, Agile, iMov, Webmessenger, Mundu, etc.) I think to say it's a very popular & profitable service.

But for the younger crowds (teens through late 20's) IM is just a way of life. That's why the Sidekick is popular (even though it's a pretty awful device!). The Helio Ocean also does a very a nice job of integrating all: GPS, MMS, SMS, IM, Push email, 2mp camera, 3G, A2DP for $295. Granted it's not in the same league as the iPhone for sleekness and price gouging and wont' get nearly any recognition for what it is, but it's still a more realistic device, imo.

Re: MMS, trust me I know about not having it. Sprint never intergrated their MMS ad-hoc system ("picturemail") to work with WM5 so on every forum you'll find Sprint users flabbergasted as to how to send MMS (there is hack: we lifted Verizon's program to do it) and even though I find MMS kind of lame I'm always surprised at how many people a) really want it b) use it a lot.

So although I wouldn't miss MMS, it's certainly a very popular function on these devices and I imagine you'll have lots of people complaining that it's missing, just like on Sprint for their Moto Q, 6700 and 700wx. The sending via number trick is a little to tedious and is really a poor solution that most users will never bother with.

Btw: anyone know about insurance for the iPhone via AT&T (for Sprint it's like $7 a month)?

I mean one drop of that device on pavement will surely shatter the screen, no? What happens then? :eek:

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
im

The reason many use IM instead of phone calls is the IM does not take away from minutes. And it's good for passing small info while multitasking.

Too bad the iPhone missed this...I mean, their target demographic is steeped in IM (not just the under 18 crowd)

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Wait, just for the record mikec; so do you or do you not think that Apple will have an IM client available outside of the box (and most everybody is assuming that it will not be there in the box on it's release day, am I right)?

And mikec, for the record; do you discount Google Talk being available for the iPhone?

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
They should at least offer the option to download one to your phone if they don't have it on the phone out of the box! But I think that's forbidden due to the no 3rd party rule.

But it would be so much easier if they have their own iChat version for the iPhone, there wouldn't be a compatibility problem. This is the best bet. Maybe the final released version will have it or an option to download from Apple's site?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Wait, just for the record mikec; so do you or do you not think that Apple will have an IM client available outside of the box (and most everybody is assuming that it will not be there in the box on it's release day, am I right)?

And mikec, for the record; do you discount Google Talk being available for the iPhone?

For the record, do you think AT&T (and Apple with its revenue sharing model) wants you to use SMS or IM?

Surur

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site

Archie,

If there is no mention of IM or Google Talk in relation to the iPhone (outside of the fact it doesn't have them) why would we assume it will later on or "outside of the box"?

Unless Apple says it will eventually or something publicly, the logical thing is to suggest it won't have them. Indirect references by a single poster on TC suggesting that it will support does not constitute evidence. Otherwise, what is the hold up? This device has been 2 years in the making and there is no obvious reason for no iChat included, is there?

We can only discuss what we know and has been made public.

braj

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
As an adult who works in IT, I can attest that I use chat LOTS to be in touch with people all over the world and communicate simultaneously with people across 3 IM services all day, every day. I woudn't buy a smartphone without IM,. Lots of IT business happens over IM, I'm not alone. And I'd rather chat with some people because I'll have a log to forward or refer to where a phone call requires me keeping track in some separate way.

But people will buy it on the assumption that it will be available, and if Apple cares about it being a success eventually it will be.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Obviously not Archie, but I'd say BOTH. ATT charges for both. Doesn't IM use data?

SMS is one of the most expensive forms of data in the world, at around ?300 per megabyte. I'm sure they prefer you to have the unlimited internet package for your imap e-mail AND to pay extra to use unlimited SMS also.

Surur