You know that you can use the e-mail client to send photos or videos to a phone number right?

Say you number is (888) 555-1234:
    just enter 8885551234@tmobile.net or whatever...

No need for a specialized MMS client that is needlessly taking up extra space.
    No offense, but this is plain ridiculous. What are the chances of knowing what carrier that cell number is connected too? Most people, IMO, dont think in terms of carrier. All they know is that this is your cell number.

Based on what your propose, I'd have to create a "carrier" category just so I'd be able to send a photo or video; who has that kind of time?
    06-12-2007 08:32 AM
    Are you thinking of the m600i?

http://www.symbian.com/phones/se_m600.html

There's a useful list of Symbian phones at that site. Index:

http://www.symbian.com/phones/index.html
    Thanks.

Surur
    06-12-2007 10:18 AM
    [QUOTE=scandalex;1283417]No offense, but this is plain ridiculous. What are the chances of knowing what carrier that cell number is connected too? Most people, IMO, dont think in terms of carrier. All they know is that this is your cell number.
    QUOTE]

I concur.

There's another issue with this workaround: On my Sprint Q (and when I had a 700wx), when I send a pic using my sprint pop email account, it shows up on the recipient's phone with "unkown sender". I've had messages w/pics deleted by users who won't open such a message.
    06-12-2007 11:49 AM
    Archie,

If there is no mention of IM or Google Talk in relation to the iPhone (outside of the fact it doesn't have them) why would we assume it will later on or "outside of the box"?

Unless Apple says it will eventually or something publicly, the logical thing is to suggest it won't have them. Indirect references by a single poster on TC suggesting that it will support does not constitute evidence. Otherwise, what is the hold up? This device has been 2 years in the making and there is no obvious reason for no iChat included, is there?

We can only discuss what we know and has been made public.
    Here's an iChat client for the iPhone.

http://www.publictivity.com/iphonechat/
    06-16-2007 02:49 AM
    Here's a app to check for the closest and cheapest gas prices.

There are other apps out there too, RSS readers and such.
    06-16-2007 02:53 AM
    No offense, but this is plain ridiculous. What are the chances of knowing what carrier that cell number is connected too? Most people, IMO, dont think in terms of carrier. All they know is that this is your cell number.

Based on what your propose, I'd have to create a "carrier" category just so I'd be able to send a photo or video; who has that kind of time?
    No you wouldn't. Just sync with Address Book. It records that info automatically... oh, wait you are probably on a PC.
    06-16-2007 02:54 AM
    Archie, those arnt apps, those are web pages. Are you getting delusional or something?

Surur
    06-16-2007 03:53 AM

I don't think that is an actual iChat client, but a mock-up to try and display what one might look like so people with iPhone lust can get their jollies.

Notice there is another iPhonedigg for the same purpose.
    06-16-2007 04:02 AM
    Personally I think the whole touch scrolling 'wow' animations are cool and all, but just like the dock it probably would get old real quick. A D-pad clicking up or down seems like less real work and probably better for me personally.

I really want to like the iPhone but I think it's going to take some time to mature. Which is completely understandable. It sure is pretty though.
    06-16-2007 04:04 AM
    Yeah, you must always look at your phone to see where and what you're touching to operate it correctly.

This interface would have made a great new iPod alone concept though. Touchscreen MP3 and video player with a similar brilliant screen would rock! For a phone, it's going to be an experiment.
    06-16-2007 05:29 AM
    Yeah, you must always look at your phone to see where and what you're touching to operate it correctly.

This interface would have made a great new iPod alone concept though. Touchscreen MP3 and video player with a similar brilliant screen would rock! For a phone, it's going to be an experiment.
    This just goes to show how different people are! I have no problem having to look at a phone to operate it (as a phone) and pretty much the only thing I ever want to do without looking at it is change the volume on a call. iPhone will be fine in that respect. OTOH I really like it that can operate my iPod just by reaching into my pocket. Not full functionality of course but pause/play, volume, skip. Mostly a security thing - I'd rather not wave it around in public. iPhone gets a point deducted for the lack of a click wheel.
    06-16-2007 08:05 AM
    The only good thing is a thief may not be able to use an iPhone if it's stolen. But you pull that thing out too many times and some :censored: will probably try snatching it out of your hand!

I usually hide my stuff in my purse and operate it from there. This may be a little hard to do with an iPhone.

I was thinking of the video quality of the screen for a video iPod, although now that you mention it, a click wheel might help there too.
    06-16-2007 08:13 AM
    I was thinking of the video quality of the screen for a video iPod, although now that you mention it, a click wheel might help there too.
    It might, but at the expense of making the device bigger or the screen smaller, both pretty undesirable in my view.

There's no perfect solution to that general problem as far as I can see. There has to be a compromise. Apple went big screen while (most) others have gone small screen or slider/flip. The advantages to a big screen in a small device are obvious, but I'm guessing that a lot of the success of the iPhone will hinge on how people get on without a lot of the mechanical controls they're used to. In the MacWorld keynote Jobs made play of how much more flexible the interface is when freed from buttons. That's true of course. A device with a mechanical QWERTY, big screen, phone buttons, a bunch of PIM app buttons, and a click wheel doesn't sound too great to me
    06-16-2007 08:41 AM

Wow...I wonder how many there will be by the end of the month.
    06-16-2007 08:56 AM
    that is a correct statement. correct?

i can't see doing it any other way.
    06-16-2007 08:58 AM
    It might, but at the expense of making the device bigger or the screen smaller, both pretty undesirable in my view.

There's no perfect solution to that general problem as far as I can see. There has to be a compromise. Apple went big screen while (most) others have gone small screen or slider/flip. The advantages to a big screen in a small device are obvious, but I'm guessing that a lot of the success of the iPhone will hinge on how people get on without a lot of the mechanical controls they're used to. In the MacWorld keynote Jobs made play of how much more flexible the interface is when freed from buttons. That's true of course. A device with a mechanical QWERTY, big screen, phone buttons, a bunch of PIM app buttons, and a click wheel doesn't sound too great to me
    I dont know, a capacitive scroll strip on the side, kind of like the JOGGR, but longer, would have been pretty effective without compromising screen size.

Surur
    06-16-2007 09:15 AM
    that is a correct statement. correct?

i can't see doing it any other way.
    Voice control?

Surur
    06-16-2007 09:17 AM
    I dont know, a capacitive scroll strip on the side, kind of like the JOGGR, but longer, would have been pretty effective without compromising screen size.
    I guess you could say that a JOGGR is a bit like a linearised click wheel and as such it could replace quite a bit of click wheel functionality. As I understand it though it has only the scroll bit plus two buttons so getting it to replace all of the functionality of a click wheel (which has five buttons) might be tricky. Obviously it wouldn't be able to replace a numeric or QWERTY keyboard in any sensible way at all.
    06-16-2007 09:45 AM
    Voice control?

Surur
    i thought that laughable too, so i dismissed it.

funny
    06-16-2007 09:54 AM
    i thought that laughable too, so i dismissed it.

funny
    Voice dialing without looking at the screen is pretty well accepted, and on WM voice command works very well for e.g. selecting which artist to play.

Your dismissal is unwarranted.

Surur
    06-16-2007 09:57 AM
    ^^ oops, you win....i was seriously thinking "volume control." as for the voice control, i hear ya....but i personally yet to speak to my phone.

please dismiss the original dismissal.
    06-16-2007 09:59 AM
    but i personally yet to speak to my phone.
    I thought Apple surely would have been all over this kind of functionality. They had voice control on OS 9 and earlier (do they still?). This would have been handy for the blind who obviously will get nowhere with multi touch. But I guess that's a whole other market
    06-16-2007 02:15 PM
    Wow...I wonder how many there will be by the end of the month.
    Again, that looks to be only a mock-up app so people can pretend they have an iPhone on their desktop. A real functional app likely won't be seen until the iPhone is out. And personally I wouldn't trust it to a small time web developer, as you may have read all your data goes through his server. I'd want the app to be hosted by someone I could trust as being secure. And then I would want an integrated app that could handle cross-network chats on at least AOL, YIM, MSN and Google Talk.

This begs the question if you can have multiple Safari windows active at once though. If not it will be very limited in its usefulness. Will it be able to run in the background while you browse another site or check your email? That sort of thing.
    06-16-2007 02:21 PM
    I can see ppl wanting to multitask all these cool "apps" getting into a data bottleneck unless they hang around wifi spots all day...
    06-17-2007 01:25 PM
    I can see ppl wanting to multitask all these cool "apps" getting into a data bottleneck unless they hang around wifi spots all day...
    I think SlingPlayer is a cool app. Even that Cingular tune ID app is a cool app. I dont think a shopping list is a cool app.

Surur
    06-17-2007 01:30 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD