Clairvoyance for Apple?

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I'd like to know what phones WILL be affected!! Sounds like a bad day for technology in the US to me! Isn't Qualcomm the only maker of quad band 3G chips?

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I'd like to know what phones WILL be affected!! Sounds like a bad day for technology in the US to me! Isn't Qualcomm the only maker of quad band 3G chips?
I think so. I've certainly read that Qualcomm is the only manufacturer of 3G chips that work with US frequencies.

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
Yep, looks like this new 3G chip ban makes one very valid negative for the iPhone a moot point - at least it's likely a moot point for a little while...

Also, based on the lack of 3G and Cingular's VERY SLOW rollout (much slower than originally predicted), one wonders if there was perhaps some speculation this may be coming...

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
DON'T GLOAT!!!

This hurts us BIG TIME!! Even if ATT is slow rolling out 3G(stupid of them too) and T-Mobile US absolutely refuses to get it's butt moving(don't understand that either), we were able to have quad-band 3G chips for worldwide usage. Travelers to the US will now be forced again to get a seperate phone, and WE may not even be able to get a phone with 3G for Europe at all soon!! Or at least the selection is greatly reduced for us in the next few years. Plus what about all those relying on CDMA broadband? Those future phones are included too!

Why didn't they just make Qualcomm pay a fee to Broadcom for every phone sold or something?!!! Why cut off the consumer? :mad:

I hope Qualcomm can fight this on the basis it hurts the consumer.

http://www.qualcomm.com/press/releases/2007/070607_disagrees_itc_decision.html

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com

Why didn't they just make Qualcomm pay a fee to Broadcom for every phone sold or something?!!! Why cut off the consumer? :mad:

They're going to court to figure out exactly that: whether they should give Broadcom royalties, fees, or stop producing them. But that takes a while, so the court temporarily is banning them (as of now) until that trial is over. THANK GOD I have some 3G devices already! :)

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
If I read the initial release correctly, the June 7 effective date is significant in that devices made (developed and shipped) prior to will be "grandfathered". An example would be the Cingular 8525. Since it is a currently available device, the release implies that it will continue to be available. Something that has yet to see the light of day will not ever. Someone correct me if I've misinterpreted...
Again, this is not a statement of fact - only how I interpreted the statement from the first post...

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Future phones may see the light of day, just not in the US. :( Do you think manufacturers really will stop using Qualcomm chips only because of the US ruling? We have to beg for 3G phones as it is!! We get ignored as if we aren't even a big market, so now manufacturers of advanced phones can continue to ignore us due to this ruling!! :mad:

Well maybe the CDMA makers will have to change suppliers since there is a bigger market for 3G CDMA phones in the US, I think.

Isn't it a big hassle to change suppliers anyway? BTW, what are the other 3G chip suppliers? I'm interested in who Nokia and Sony use. I suspect HTC may use Qualcomm due to the quad band chips. And those phones are the best for functionality! :( And now who is RIM going to use for it's 3G and wifi chips in the new fall release?

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site

BTW, what are the other 3G chip suppliers? I'm interested in who Nokia and Sony use.
I don't know, but it used to be said that the reason Nokia stopped making CDMA phones and didn't release any GSM 3G phones in the US was their litigious row with Qualcomm. They have made a US-compatible 3G phone now of course - the N75. It would be interesting to know what chip is in that device.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I have a bad feeling the quad band N75 is now a grandfathered in Qualcomm chip phone, but we may not see anything new in quad band for awhile. :(

Litigation always takes a long time. WHY a whole ban, WHY??? :cry:

Is the E90 supposed to be quad band too? It may not qualify for grandfathering if it's not out yet.

I've seen dual band 3G phones for the US only, guess we may have to settle for that. But those won't be true world 3G phones. :(

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
If there's another quad band chip maker, we might be saved! :)

Who'd they use in the N75? That would answer the question. Probably not common knowledge though.

P.S. Just looked at your link. Seems it's tri-band US 3G only, for the one the US gets. That's good enough, I guess. Since we barely get anything to begin with!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl