its only GSM. it it dosnt have 3G or broadband; its not worth it. if I want the internet in my pocket I want broadband speeds. I'm not getting it. because of this; its not a treo killer.
    06-07-2007 09:15 AM
    My 680 is GSM, I also agree it will not kill, but it will give us another choice as a consumer, I am also a Mac person and I will not switch till the 3rd Gen becomes available.
    06-07-2007 10:10 AM
    ok, thanks for sharing!
    Slow day at work?
    06-07-2007 01:49 PM
    Yup!
    06-07-2007 02:37 PM
    you're right, it's not a Treo killer as the Treo is already dead.

tough for many to admit around here though
    06-07-2007 05:23 PM
    The mass exodous of the Mac crowd will be the beginning...to soon follow the others who jump on the iPhone clones that will come in Windoze mobile...any bets on a time table?
    06-07-2007 05:28 PM

Sad but true. Palm is the Treo killer, not anyone else...
    06-07-2007 05:31 PM

Not dead yet, form factor is too good to ignore, and more importantly still better than most (if not all) smartphones.

But I think it will be dead soon, unless they start catching up: more memory, better BT, 4:3 screen, GPS, etc. etc. Palm has ignored these factors for WAYYYYY too long
    06-07-2007 07:19 PM
    I am a moron. I am buying two iPhones as soon as the store opens.
    06-07-2007 07:21 PM
    You getting there in the AM or camping overnight? AT&T or Apple Store?
    06-07-2007 07:47 PM
    Not dead yet, form factor is too good to ignore, and more importantly still better than most (if not all) smartphones.

But I think it will be dead soon, unless they start catching up: more memory, better BT, 4:3 screen, GPS, etc. etc. Palm has ignored these factors for WAYYYYY too long

people are in fact ignoring the form factor. many are tired with its brick-like feel and heaviness.....why many are trying so many different and more modern/stream-lined alternatives.

if it ain't dead it's close to.
    06-07-2007 07:50 PM
    I am a Mac user, you might even say a little nuts about them and I am not going to buy the Iphone. No way. Love the Mac computers, love the OS, love everything about the company but thr iphone is not going to take the place of MY Treo.
    06-07-2007 07:58 PM
    Me too.

I was kinda hoping I might be able to secure one by that previous Monday but it is not looking good. In fact, now I may not be able to get them until Saturday morning. They might be sold out in the retail locations by then.

I suppose I could hope to get one by ordering through the iTunes Store on Friday if they have that set up by then.
    06-07-2007 08:04 PM
    Its not a big deal for a few, but it will be a very big deal for a great many....

The iphone is going to do very, very well. It sleek, its interesting, its innovative.

The lack of broadband speeds will certainly NOT hold it back.
    Apple will sell twice as many iphones as palm will sell treos, which I agree, are dead.

Just sit back and watch.
    06-07-2007 08:53 PM
    I am a Mac user, you might even say a little nuts about them and I am not going to buy the Iphone. No way. Love the Mac computers, love the OS, love everything about the company but thr iphone is not going to take the place of MY Treo.
    Will that hold true if you can start getting Widgets for the iPhone?
    06-07-2007 09:00 PM
    Will that hold true if you can start getting Widgets for the iPhone?
    Widgets might be more useful on the iPhone.

But FWIW, I've disabled my Dashboard (I'm still scarred emotionally because I let my Chia pet widget die...but I digress.)
    06-07-2007 09:18 PM
    Widgets might be more useful on the iPhone.
    I'm thinking that having access to a variety of apps for things you've grown accustom to WILL be a major factor for many tempted to leave Palm OS. I know I really am hoping for a password program like SplashID. I've become VERY reliant on it. After watching clips from Jobs interview at the Wall Street Journal D Conference, I think Jobs will have some good news on this front next Tuesday during his keynote. He just didn't want to let the cat out of the bag...
    06-07-2007 09:46 PM
    I hope your right . The initial announcement of iP* was so beyond expectation . It's going to be a hard act to follow . I cant imagine not getting my hands on one though . I suppose if for some reason it didn't cut it I could take it back . Hmmm .......... Ya ! Thats right ! I've got nothin to lose . Oh man its gona be a sexy little b !
    06-07-2007 11:46 PM
    (I'm still scarred emotionally because I let my Chia pet widget die...but I digress.)
    I am so sorry for your loss. I have disabled my dashboard in remembrance.
    06-08-2007 11:25 AM
    You getting there in the AM or camping overnight? AT&T or Apple Store?
    Probably an att store. My wife is a cop and gets off at 3:00 AM. We may go to a store then for fun. I know I'm nuts.

There was a time when I drove a hundred miles out of the way to get to a specific sprint store in Chattanooga that was posted on the register.com to have a prototype treo 650. The did and I played with it. Fun Fun Fun
    06-08-2007 11:28 AM
    There was a time when I drove a hundred miles out of the way to get to a specific sprint store in Chattanooga that was posted on the register.com to have a prototype treo 650. The did and I played with it. Fun Fun Fun
    Sadly I remember that

And that's where you confirmed the VGA camera when everyone was saying it was 1.2mp right?

I noticed on an iPhone commercial the Answer/End icons on the screen for answering a call were the reverse of most every phone out there (Answer on the Right, End on the Left)..wonder why...
    06-08-2007 11:53 AM
    I noticed on an iPhone commercial the Answer/End icons on the screen for answering a call were the reverse of most every phone out there (Answer on the Right, End on the Left)..wonder why...
    An indication of their noobness in the wireless phone industry?
    06-08-2007 01:06 PM
    Because a person grasping it in the right hand will find the thumb more naturally reaches the Answer icon in that position.

Me, I hold my Treo with my left. :-)

Tom
    06-08-2007 01:51 PM
    Because a person grasping it in the right hand will find the thumb more naturally reaches the Answer icon in that position.

Me, I hold my Treo with my left. :-)

Tom
    I would think the opposite is the case..it's far easier to extend your thumb to reach across the screen rather than contract it...I hold it in my left hand as well.
    06-08-2007 02:44 PM
    I would think the opposite is the case..it's far easier to extend your thumb to reach across the screen rather than contract it...I hold it in my left hand as well.
    Agreed. Either would work but Apple have in right in my book (presuming you hold it in your left hand, want to use your left thumb, and answer more calls than you reject).
    06-08-2007 03:00 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD