its no big deal

AnyUser

Aug 13, 2006
Visit site
its only GSM. it it dosnt have 3G or broadband; its not worth it. if I want the internet in my pocket I want broadband speeds. I'm not getting it. because of this; its not a treo killer.

ktm97

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
My 680 is GSM, I also agree it will not kill, but it will give us another choice as a consumer, I am also a Mac person and I will not switch till the 3rd Gen becomes available.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
The mass exodous of the Mac crowd will be the beginning...to soon follow the others who jump on the iPhone clones that will come in Windoze mobile...any bets on a time table?

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
you're right, it's not a Treo killer as the Treo is already dead.

tough for many to admit around here though

Not dead yet, form factor is too good to ignore, and more importantly still better than most (if not all) smartphones.

But I think it will be dead soon, unless they start catching up: more memory, better BT, 4:3 screen, GPS, etc. etc. Palm has ignored these factors for WAYYYYY too long

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Not dead yet, form factor is too good to ignore, and more importantly still better than most (if not all) smartphones.

But I think it will be dead soon, unless they start catching up: more memory, better BT, 4:3 screen, GPS, etc. etc. Palm has ignored these factors for WAYYYYY too long

people are in fact ignoring the form factor. many are tired with its brick-like feel and heaviness.....why many are trying so many different and more modern/stream-lined alternatives.

if it ain't dead it's close to.

captaindan

Oct 17, 2006
Visit site
I am a Mac user, you might even say a little nuts about them and I am not going to buy the Iphone. No way. Love the Mac computers, love the OS, love everything about the company but thr iphone is not going to take the place of MY Treo.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I am a moron. I am buying two iPhones as soon as the store opens.
Me too.

I was kinda hoping I might be able to secure one by that previous Monday but it is not looking good. In fact, now I may not be able to get them until Saturday morning. :( They might be sold out in the retail locations by then.

I suppose I could hope to get one by ordering through the iTunes Store on Friday if they have that set up by then.

treobk214

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Its not a big deal for a few, but it will be a very big deal for a great many....

The iphone is going to do very, very well. It sleek, its interesting, its innovative.

The lack of broadband speeds will certainly NOT hold it back.
Apple will sell twice as many iphones as palm will sell treos, which I agree, are dead.

Just sit back and watch.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
I am a Mac user, you might even say a little nuts about them and I am not going to buy the Iphone. No way. Love the Mac computers, love the OS, love everything about the company but thr iphone is not going to take the place of MY Treo.

Will that hold true if you can start getting Widgets for the iPhone?

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
Widgets might be more useful on the iPhone.

I'm thinking that having access to a variety of apps for things you've grown accustom to WILL be a major factor for many tempted to leave Palm OS. I know I really am hoping for a password program like SplashID. I've become VERY reliant on it. After watching clips from Jobs interview at the Wall Street Journal D Conference, I think Jobs will have some good news on this front next Tuesday during his keynote. He just didn't want to let the cat out of the bag...

byronchurch

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
I hope your right . The initial announcement of iP* was so beyond expectation . It's going to be a hard act to follow . I cant imagine not getting my hands on one though . I suppose if for some reason it didn't cut it I could take it back . Hmmm .......... Ya ! Thats right ! I've got nothin to lose . Oh man its gona be a sexy little b !

dutchtrumpet

Dec 20, 2003
Visit site
You getting there in the AM or camping overnight? AT&T or Apple Store?

Probably an att store. My wife is a cop and gets off at 3:00 AM. We may go to a store then for fun. I know I'm nuts.

There was a time when I drove a hundred miles out of the way to get to a specific sprint store in Chattanooga that was posted on the register.com to have a prototype treo 650. The did and I played with it. Fun Fun Fun:)