First off let me say that I am a cell phone fanatic. When I first heard about the iPhone i was pretty surprised at the features and the way everything works with the phone. However, being face to face with it (yes I have touched it and played with it at an apple event), the phone is simply nothing more than a luxury device to have. As far as I know, AT@T does not offer insurance on their PDA / Smartphone / Blackberry devices which really sucks. This phone is going to cost how much?? even as a new customer?? the front of the phone feels like it has all glass covering it. Meaning that if you drop that bad boy once real hard, you're going to have a nice dent or crack on your screen. (I don't care who you are, you're going to drop your phone atleast once...and usually its the first one that hurts the most lol). Like the guy at Microsoft said, the iPhone will not be suitable for business people. A lot of corporate businesses use Outlook and Exchange and iPhone will not be the best thing in the world for that. Sure the OS X, the ipod, the multi-touching screen is all nice, but is it really worth it?? Some people say this phone will kill the treo. Yea right...there are too many people out there who are used to their treo and will probably never give it up. With the recent release of the 755P, it seems to be palm's most stable treo released. Later on, the linux style treos will be launched. Treo is never going away.....trust me. As far as Windows Mobile devices are concerned, Windows Mobile 6 is actually looking to make things better for people who like Windows Mobile phones. The one thing that is really going to suck is that the iPhone can't take advantage of EVDO Rev. A data. Being with Sprint of Verizon, and then going to Cingular EDGE?? EDGE sucks ladies and gentlemen. Unless AT@T plans to step up their data game, it's going to be a rough road ahead of them for competing with data. I'll be able to browse to a website faster on a treo 755p or a PPC 6800 than the iPhone. All that money for a luxury phone and it can't even get top notch speeds? It's been proven that Sprint's EVDO Rev. A is atleast 3-4 times faster than EDGE. GSM needs to get their data game up if they expect to compete with their PDA selection of phones.
    05-30-2007 12:18 PM
    As far as I know, AT@T does not offer insurance on their PDA / Smartphone / Blackberry devices which really sucks.
    They do... But it is by no means cost effective.... I believe my friend said it was like 30 bucks a month or some such insanity...
    05-30-2007 12:50 PM
    I think the slow data speeds and the phoe being with cigular is really going to hurt the iphone, don't get me wrong they will sell a heap of them but I think they really tied there own hands in this situation.
    05-30-2007 04:22 PM
    First off let me say that I am a cell phone fanatic.
    Yet you wait until May 2007 (nearly June) to make your first post on a Treo-Centric Forum site about an iPhone. Who are you really? How long have you worked at Microsoft? :evil:
    05-30-2007 10:53 PM
    Yet you wait until May 2007 (nearly June) to make your first post on a Treo-Centric Forum site about an iPhone. Who are you really? How long have you worked at Microsoft? :evil:
    LOL! Right on! What will he have to say when the iPhone comes along with HSDPA? We he still cry that it doesn't use EVDO Rev A?

GSM needs to get their data game up if they expect to compete with their PDA selection of phones.
    Sounds to me like he doesn't even know about HSDPA!
    05-30-2007 11:02 PM
    spoken like a first post

heard it all before

welcome!
    05-30-2007 11:35 PM
    i don't work for microsoft lol I actually have a palm treo, i used to have a windows mobile phone lol don't get me wrong, I am a huge apple fan, but I don't think the iPhone will be worth it...maybe if the price is cut down or something lol like I said this will be a huge luxury phone to have. It's def. changing the way a cell phone is used and all that other great stuff, but I am not a fan of who the phone will be under. Cingular makes too many claims and can hardly back them up lol and I will revise what I said about GSM needing to get their pda phone game up, It's T-Mobile and Cingular that need to get their pda phone game up (I'm quite sure there are gsm devices over seas that wash people's clothes, have conversations with you). But hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion eh?
    05-31-2007 01:06 AM
    I actually have a palm treo, i used to have a windows mobile phone
    I believe you're the first person I've seen post here who went from WM to Palm OS voluntarily (and not vice versa).

Cingular makes too many claims and can hardly back them up
    So it would seem.

...and I will revise what I said about GSM needing to get their pda phone game up, It's T-Mobile and Cingular that need to get their pda phone game up (I'm quite sure there are gsm devices over seas that wash people's clothes, have conversations with you).
    I sure wish Verizon would get the Blackberry Curve, 8125, Blackjack, Dash because none of Verizon's phones wash people's clothes either.

But hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion eh?
    Yep. And they're entitled to back up those opinions with some facts too.
    05-31-2007 06:13 AM
    [QUOTE=Kupe;1270347]I believe you're the first person I've seen post here who went from WM to Palm OS voluntarily (and not vice versa).

don't get me wrong, Windows Mobile is good but the frustration of having to do a hard reset a couple of times during the day really sucks. With the Palm OS and the Treo 755P, I've never had to do it once yet (It's been 2 weeks). If Windows Mobile 6 proves to be more stable over time, then maybe I will switch back. Blackberry Curve is just the 8830 with a camera...cameras are kinda getting played out these days...i don't know..that's just my opinion. Plus a lot of businesses are getting to the point where u can't have a camera on your phone. Verizon and Sprint's upcoming PDA phones are going to be good. PPC 6800 (WHEN IT FINALLY FRIGGIN LAUNCHES) will dominate the wing and 8525. As far as the blackjack and dash..the blackjack sucks..the dash is great, I will give T-Mobile that. The friggin moto q sucks *** lol I'm just not a fan of GSM because my experience with them has been horrible.
    05-31-2007 02:35 PM
    the frustration of having to do a hard reset a couple of times during the day really sucks. With the Palm OS and the Treo 755P, I've never had to do it once yet
    You had to hard reset a couple of times a day? BS meter = 10
    Soft reset maybe? The reset issue has nothing to do with WM5; it has to do with the lame amount of memory in the 700w. 700wx with the same os is completely stable.
    06-01-2007 11:39 AM
    You had to hard reset a couple of times a day? BS meter = 10
    Hey! No fair! You quoted me, but I never wrote that! You need to take a remedial quoting class!!
    06-01-2007 05:02 PM
    funny, once again i made a mistake and i meant soft reset, i had to constantly do it with the pocket pc 6700 and treo 700w (i hardly had any programs open to use up all the ram on the phone). Windows Mobile isn't all that stable, maybe version 6 is but I have to play around with it more.
    06-02-2007 07:44 PM
    The WM Treo is far more stable than the Palm OS. I was huge Palm fan, but Garnet is a 10 year old OS that just can't cut it.

I held off switching, but now that I have, I find the tradeoff of a little speed and screen size are completely outweighed by the stability and multitasking of WM.

As for the iPhone, I will wait to see how it is as a phone before I decide to invest $3,000 on a device (600 iPhone and two years of Cingular service with unlimited data and a decent amount of voice time)
    06-02-2007 08:08 PM
    I believe you're the first person I've seen post here who went from WM to Palm OS voluntarily (and not vice versa).
    I'm afraid I beat him to it a few months ago .

I used to have 3 (top of the line, in their time) Pocket PCs, then a top of the line Pocket PC Phone (HTC TyTn). The 680 is by far a more usable device (as a phone). My buddy has a 700wx - junk! You cant use that thing without pulling out the stylus. I think the last time I touched my stylus was... 3 weeks ago? Software for Windows Mobile is 100x more powerful and better designed, but in terms of speed, simplicity and one handed navigation Palm OS wins hands down.
    06-03-2007 02:34 AM
    I went: Palm OS -> PPC2002 -> Palm OS -> PPC2003 SE -> Palm OS -> WM5 -> S60

So a couple of WM -> Palm OS if you count PPC as WM.

All changes were voluntary
    06-03-2007 04:11 AM
    lol seems like im not the only one who made the jump. My treo is my business phone, as long as I can check my e-mails, write some word documents on documents to go from time to time, make phone calls, send txt msgs, and maybe watch a movie from time to time (TCPMP lol) I'm good. My windows mobile phones never seemed to give me that good exerprience as I had to do a soft reset a couple of times before the end of the day. I also agree with kerunt..I can't remember the last time I had to pull out my stylus either lol
    06-03-2007 11:07 PM
    I went: Palm OS -> PPC2002 -> Palm OS -> PPC2003 SE -> Palm OS -> WM5 -> S60
    Ahh - so you actually didn't go from WM to POS. I specifically didn't say PPC (or WinCE for that matter).
    06-04-2007 07:41 AM
    That's true, and if I had to choose today I'd probably go with WM over Palm. I prefer the Palm UI but WM's support for UMTS/HSDPA would sway it for me - the problems I had with the WM5 phone I owned (an MDA Vario II, one of the HTC TyTN variants) were mostly hardware related and if it wasn't for S60 (and Nokia's pretty spiffy hardware) I'd probably have a different WM device now.

As I say, my current device is a Nokia, an E61, which runs S60v3. In my view it pretty much falls between the Palm OS and WM5 devices I've owned. The UI is more intuitive than WM5's (at least for me) but not as nice as Palm's. Specs-wise the E61 is a bit less powerful than the Vario II (no HSDPA, no A2DP) but much more powerful than my last Palm OS device, a Treo 650 (which has no multitasking, no 3G, no Wifi etc). Current Nokia devices address the specs deficit in relation to WM5/6 phones, EXCEPT, of course, there's still no support for a touchscreen. Recently I've been finding the lack of a touchscreen a bit of a pain, and I've even been wondering if it might not be worth giving a Treo 750 a whirl. Unlocked a 750 is ~400 (~$800) in the UK though, and I'm not sure I want to splash that sort of cash on a Wifi-less device with a 240x240 screen.

So, FWIW, here's my highly subjective summary of the smartphone OSs I've used in the last year:

Palm: great UI - the Zen of Palm thing still shines through, almost completely free of any need for a stylus - but it's dreadfully antiquated and can't support highly desirable mobile technologies (Wifi, UMTS, HSDPA) and is prone to instability.

WM5: UI is much better than PPC2003SE (because of the softkeys) but really does need some tidying up. How about something equivalent to the Palm OS 'Home' button and the app launcher screen for starters? It's not by chance that the Palm and S60 (and iPhone) UI's all work this way - it's because it's a good idea. OS is powerful (supporting ever conceivable wireless technology), but tends to slow down rather alarmingly as RAM is depleted, and the minimise instead of close thing is just silly.

S60: UI is pretty good but some tasks are hamstrung by the absence of a touchscreen and it's probably the least snappy of three. Powerful, multitasking (with easy app switching and closing out of the box) and very stable. Although app launching and some apps can be a bit slow (e.g. map redrawing in TomTom can be a bit laggy) at least it doesn't get slower with time like WM5.

So, as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing even approaching perfection yet. I do have some hope though that things could get much better over the next year: I really like the the look of the iPhone (definately needs 3G), Photon should be a much better upgrade than WM5-->WM6 (Brighthand says they're thoroughly revising the UI), and Palm should have Linux Treos out too. Happy times? Maybe.
    06-04-2007 11:54 AM
    Hey! No fair! You quoted me, but I never wrote that! You need to take a remedial quoting class!!
    Sorry about that. Errored when I was cleaning the item I was quoting which had a quote from you.
    06-04-2007 02:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD