Will iPhone kill the Treo franchise?

LupeValenz

Mar 15, 2005
Visit site
Bah, iPhone will be medium success, not huge because of the ATT agreement, the huge price tag. The Treo is more along a business phone while the iPhone is more along a multimedia phone.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Your mistake is not understanding the "middle age and old age demographic;" do you think they have anything else to look forward to except being cool? What you mean is you don't think they're cool. That doesn't mean they don't. For many of them, it's the first time they've been able to afford to be cool. If cool means having a particular phone.

Next you will be for sending us to the ovens. We simply control far too much of the wealth. On the other hand, we were here first.

[I would have plenty of money if the next three generations were not living from crisis to crisis.]

G3Signal

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
sure the iphone will be a huge success- but palm is doing a good enough job of killing off the franchise on its own w/o any help from apple

Exactly. I have a Treo 650 and can't stand it for all the crashing, bluetooth problems and sd card corruption. Just look at all the bugs the latest one has which is why I chose not go go with Palm anymore. I think Palm should have at least fixed all those problems and introduced Palm Linux but instead produced a device (Foleo) that is 10 years too late. I just can't believe anyone is taking the Foleo seriously at all.

It's all personal preference and what works best for each individual, but Palm had years to come up with something innovative. Instead, they waited for Apple to do it along with all the other copy cats that will follow.

sxtg

Jun 7, 2004
Visit site
Exactly. I have a Treo 650 and can't stand it for all the crashing, bluetooth problems and sd card corruption. Just look at all the bugs the latest one has which is why I chose not go go with Palm anymore. I think Palm should have at least fixed all those problems and introduced Palm Linux but instead produced a device (Foleo) that is 10 years too late. I just can't believe anyone is taking the Foleo seriously at all.

It's all personal preference and what works best for each individual, but Palm had years to come up with something innovative. Instead, they waited for Apple to do it along with all the other copy cats that will follow.

I assume you're talking about the Iphone.

When did putting an MP3 and some basic PIM together with a cell phone become innovative?

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
Reading the latest update from BoyGeninus, having the SIM inbuilt and not removable will be a big detraction for the iPhone! The last thing customers will want is to be locked in for ever and a day with the one phone carrier.
The iPhone is not going to be what the Treo or BlackBerry is.
The iPhone is an entertainment device, whereas the Treo & BlackBerry are business tools.

I was wondering how they were going to keep these things off T-Mobile...:eek:

Bronxboy

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
I guess my article shot over all of your heads.

At first I was like many of you & had every reason to be since Steve Jobs said he wanted the I-phone to be closed to just apple & the way I feel is If a device ties my hands in any way I don’t want Poop to do with it since We now all live in an age where connectivity and cross platform interoperability are the norm. But, now that he’s saying that wont be the case I believe that the i-Phone will likely catch up and eventually blow past Palms Treos as a public convergence device. Eventually with the proper software and hardware upgrades i also believe the i-Phone could become the De facto standard for business too. (granted it gets a decent battery life and professionals software)

& for the record, I’m not an Apple fanboy. I don't own an I-Pod or a MAC because I hated DRM & such closed source architectures but since Jobs has finally addressed this I’m ready to take Apple more seriously.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Eventually with the proper software and hardware upgrades i also believe the i-Phone could become the De facto standard for business too. (granted it gets a decent battery life and professionals software) .

How do you figure this. Mac's never penetrated business in sufficient numbers, why would the IPhone? The IPhone would need to become a QWERTY smartphone to stand a chance, and would it still be as cool then?

Surur

efudd

Jul 17, 2005
Visit site
.... Eventually with the proper software and hardware upgrades i also believe the i-Phone could become the De facto standard for business too. ....

in the same time the palm or MS or RIM (or whoever) products COULD get software and hardware upgrades to be much better.

Or are you saying that you think apple just is better run so that now that they are entering the market they can catch up and overtake the incumbents by being quicker to improve upon their platform?

That might be- I wouldn't really know myself to be honest.

sxtg

Jun 7, 2004
Visit site

At first I was like many of you & had every reason to be since Steve Jobs said he wanted the I-phone to be closed to just apple & the way I feel is If a device ties my hands in any way I don’t want Poop to do with it since We now all live in an age where connectivity and cross platform interoperability are the norm. But, now that he’s saying that wont be the case I believe that the i-Phone will likely catch up and eventually blow past Palms Treos as a public convergence device. Eventually with the proper software and hardware upgrades i also believe the i-Phone could become the De facto standard for business too. (granted it gets a decent battery life and professionals software)

& for the record, I’m not an Apple fanboy. I don't own an I-Pod or a MAC because I hated DRM & such closed source architectures but since Jobs has finally addressed this I’m ready to take Apple more seriously.

Nobody was lost on the article. It was vague and uncommital. Furthermore So what!? Macs have the ability to run windows based apps and still don't saturate the market. You cant even buy one (at least in my area) at a brick n mortar Best Buy.

mdavis

May 11, 2004
Visit site

Hardly. It was easy to understand, it's just that my voice has gone up three registers after that wild pitch. Without keys, this is basically very attractive dude candy. People with a sweet gadget tooth (and that's most people, which is why I think it will be a phenomenal success) will buy it in droves. Those of us who want a serious computer will look for something else, because without a keyboard and truly open architecture (not the lob that Jobs tossed), we won't get the most productive product.

Bronxboy

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
Hardly. It was easy to understand, it's just that my voice has gone up three registers after that wild pitch. Without keys, this is basically very attractive dude candy. People with a sweet gadget tooth (and that's most people, which is why I think it will be a phenomenal success) will buy it in droves. Those of us who want a serious computer will look for something else, because without a keyboard and truly open architecture (not the lob that Jobs tossed), we won't get the most productive product.

When I say "shot over all of your heads." I was not referring to anybody’s comprehension level. I was implying that you all missed reading it like a daydreaming catcher who misses a ball. Perhaps a bad assumption but given the fact nobody seemed to comment on Apples plans to open the phone up to developers I could not resist commenting.

In response to everybody else; what this all comes down to is acceptance & personal preferences.

In the case of acceptance in time you either will or you won’t accept the i-Phone as real competition to the Treo. At the moment why should you all? The phones not even out yet and when it does come to market it will need to prove its competently functional first.

As for personal preference “well”, that speaks for itself.

For the record I never said at any point that the I-Phone would definitely conquer the business market with this version of the i-phone (Although my first post is broad & I'm sorry about that.) I went on to say "with the proper software and hardware upgrades I also believe the i-Phone could become the De facto standard for business too. (Granted it gets a decent battery life and professionals software)" And I still stick to this statement. The past has shown us that Opening up to software developers like Palm & Microsoft did can only lead to good things. I just hope the developers can figure out ways to navigate thru their software as ingeniously as Apple has managed to navigate thru their OS.

For the moment this phone is nothing but a multi media device but as it matures from the wants and needs of the people I think it could successfully replace a laptop just as Windows mobile is doing but with more ease of use.

ChumleyEX

Jan 25, 2006
scubasquad.hopto.org
I don't understand all of this. My 650 does pretty much everything the IPhone is going to do. I can stream some 70's rock while looking at websites or I can watch Return of the Jedi. I'm sure that some of the higher models have the TV channels (I got it through mobitv for awhile).. I hug my treo on a daily basis. Apple can't polish a nonturd. Sorry there is nothing wrong with the treo.

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
Whistling past the graveyard in the dark here folks. iPhone is going to fly off the shelves much like the original Razr. And if Apple only added two things right now: (1) Exchange server push support, and (2) Docs-to-Go level attachment viewing and editing, they will rule the converged device space as well. I expect they will have both shortly after release. Come early 2008, when the 3G versions start rolling out, you will start seeing iPhone dominating the cell phone space much like iPod did MP3 players.

I've even got my most anti-computer, anti-geek partners wanting to know if we can hook up email for them on an iPhone - they wouldn't even look twice at my Blackjack or a Blackberry of any flavor.

Iceman6

Jun 5, 2003
Visit site
I didn't vote in the poll because it's too early to tell whether heavy keyboard users (you know who you are) will find Apple's "soft" keyboard application satisfactory. If the majority of you find it satisfactory, I think the bigger screen and multitouch UI will prove irresistable, and Treo is doomed.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I don't understand all of this. My 650 does pretty much everything the IPhone is going to do. I can stream some 70's rock while looking at websites or I can watch Return of the Jedi. I'm sure that some of the higher models have the TV channels (I got it through mobitv for awhile).. I hug my treo on a daily basis. Apple can't polish a nonturd. Sorry there is nothing wrong with the treo.
There's a big difference between doing something and doing something well! I used to have a Treo 650 and thought it was great for some things, but not actually for any of those functions that you mention. Audio quality was poor, Blazer didn't render pages particularly well and was slow as molasses (not helped by it's complete inability to cache anything), and widescreen video was just awful on that tiny square screen (most of which was the black bars above and below the picture). I guess none of us truly knows, but I'd bet you a pound to a penny that the iPhone will hugely better in all of those areas.

Btw, welcome!

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I didn't vote in the poll because it's too early to tell whether heavy keyboard users (you know who you are) will find Apple's "soft" keyboard application satisfactory. If the majority of you find it satisfactory, I think the bigger screen and multitouch UI will prove irresistable, and Treo is doomed.
I didn't vote because there's no option for "iPhone will be a huge success and Treos will become more popular". That would've been a little bit heart ruling head, but I also think that iPhone could stimulate the whole smartphone market and Palm could catch some of that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR