Will iPhone kill the Treo franchise?

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
poor, heavy, and big Treo......yes, the belt toting set might always love you but the purse carrier is going to turn you in.

or have they begun to do so already?

hi!

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
You will be able to purchase unlocked versions at any Apple store, allowing you to use any GSM carrier. Unfortunately, you will probably pay a premium price (no AT&T plan discount).

I hope that you are right but that is not my understanding. I am a Cingular customer but I do not buy discounted phones from them. I bought all my Treos either from Palm or distributors; I often paid a premium over list.

NDPTAL85

Dec 9, 2002
Visit site
iPhone does One Handed Operation Better Than Anyone Else

Last night Apple released 3 iPhone ads that speak TRUTH to the LIES that the iPhone needs two hands to be operated.

See for yourselves:

https://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/#mn_p

Yeah, the iPhone is going to absolutely destroy the Treo. And the Blackberry. And the Motorolla Q. And the Nokia NSeries. And EVERYTHING ELSE OUT THERE!

NDPTAL85

Dec 9, 2002
Visit site
Yes, it was amazing how he was able to do EVERYTHING with ONE HAND!!!!! while holding the device with the other hand of course.

I knew IPhone fans went the brightest bulbs but this is getting ridiculous.

Surur

Obviously they needed a clear line of sight to the screen for the camera to show the display properly but you could clearly see that the guy was navigating through everything using just one finger which is easily accomplish able with one hand which will be the actual normal usage.

As for not being the brightest bulbs...... the word you were looking for was "weren't" not "went".

Pot, meet kettle.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Obviously they needed a clear line of sight to the screen for the camera to show the display properly but you could clearly see that the guy was navigating through everything using just one finger which is easily accomplish able with one hand which will be the actual normal usage.
Hmmm... not the way I usually hold a phone (pretty much the same way the chap in the ad is holding it). I'd need to use my thumb, which I estimate to be about 50% wider than my index finger :) Probably still work, for the main icons at least, not too sure about the keyboard.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Actually, looking at my thumbs a bit more :), I notice that the left one has a contact area very similar to my index fingers but on the right one it's quite a bit bigger. My right thumb is really quite a fatty in comparison :eek:

naftalim

Nov 30, 2004
Visit site
I have been a Palm user since 1999 and now have a Treo 750v that I bought unlocked for lots of money right when it came out. I used to use my Palm a lot for business, not as much now. However, I am definitely going to look at the iPhone.

I can see the iPhone having an impact both positive and negative on the consumer type phones that Palm introduced, such as the 680. Consumers who like the iPhone, but cant justify the cost, might lean towards the 680, but just as well at any of the lower end PDA/Multimedia devices and iPhone knockoffs/clones that are bound to show up. On the other hand, those who were looking at the 680 or the like, might now forsake it for the iPhone.

However, there is one super important aspect to the iPhone that has very little to do with specs and everything with the cool factor. Thats why, even though there are many MP3 players with better specs than the iPod, most choose the iPod, cuz its cool.

The intro of the Foleo to me seems that Palm has lost its way. Instead of strengthing its lineup, both existing devices (updated ROMS etc) or new devices (better bluetooth, WiFi) it comes out with some kind of companion device that I am sure very few of the Palm owners on this site would use.

I feel that my 750v is an orphan, no ROM updates, no WM6. Its still an excellent device but I lust for the iPhone

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site

As for not being the brightest bulbs...... the word you were looking for was "weren't" not "went".

Pot, meet kettle.

I'm glad you acknowledge your dumbness. Exactly how did the video demonstrate the IPhone had good one-handedness? It wasn't used even once with one hand.

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Yes, it was amazing how he was able to do EVERYTHING with ONE HAND!!!!! while holding the device with the other hand of course.

I knew IPhone fans went the brightest bulbs but this is getting ridiculous.

Surur
Oh, BROTHER!

Are you telling me you can't hold the Treo and tap and slide your thumb around the screen all with one hand? Any marginally, ambidextrous person can use this thing with one hand.

Just try it with your Treo. Slide your thumb and tap around the front of the phone while holding it all with one hand.

See.... easy.

I can't believe this crap.

Point of fact; it will actually be easier on the iPhone because the device is half as thin as the Treo (giving you more maneuverability) AND the keyboard is located farther away from the bottom of the device than the Treo, allowing for a more comfortable thumb movement range.

This is basic ergonomics and again something surprisingly simple to solve... yet also surprisingly ridiculous that no one has solved it before. But, such is the lackluster-filled innovation of the smartphone manufacturers.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
Haha! That's hilarious! Even Apple admits the device requires two hands to operate -with their own video proof of the requirement. And this doesn't even consider the complete lack of tactile feedback on that screen. Result: iPhone requires 2 hands and at least one eye ( ;) ) to operate it. How revolutionary! Even my TV remote control has a better interface than that! :cool:

mdavis

May 11, 2004
Visit site
First IPhone commercial I've seen

I just saw the commercial on CBS tonight. I can tell you this: this has got to be the best mobile phone I've ever seen, and if I wanted a mobile phone with a few bells and whistles, I'd get it in a millisecond. It is really really hot. Or cool. But, in my view, it just doesn't make it as a smartphone. But it's a really good phone, and makes an even better commercial--perhaps the best I've very seen. Very cool. Very hot.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I think its funny that everyone says its a phone for those that just want to be cool and don't care what it has to offer. The young and the uninformed. YET, here Apple is advertising away during programs like CBS Tonight and 60 minutes - programs whose audience is made up of the middle age and old age demographic. Folks who don't care about being cool particularly.

mdavis

May 11, 2004
Visit site
Your mistake is not understanding the "middle age and old age demographic;" do you think they have anything else to look forward to except being cool? What you mean is you don't think they're cool. That doesn't mean they don't. For many of them, it's the first time they've been able to afford to be cool. If cool means having a particular phone.

naftalim

Nov 30, 2004
Visit site
You do have a point. I am almost 52 ( I think Jobs is around the same age) which also means that I have been using technology for close to 30 years (First PC was an AppleIIe). So, yes, its less of a cool issue for me/us then functionality and beautiful design. I am only slightly a gadget person, I did have to get the Treo 750v right when it came out ;-)

So the 50-60 year old of today is quite knowledgeable technically. In fact, I think many of us are more so than the 20-30 year olds, for whom this is what they grew up with. We had to fight with CP/M and DOS and dBase back when there was only a dot prompt. I find that my 27 year old niece is very comfortable with technology but cannot troubleshoot if something goes wrong.

So, yes, I think that these days a product like the iPhone covers a broad demographic.

Can't wait.

I think its funny that everyone says its a phone for those that just want to be cool and don't care what it has to offer. The young and the uninformed. YET, here Apple is advertising away during programs like CBS Tonight and 60 minutes - programs whose audience is made up of the middle age and old age demographic. Folks who don't care about being cool particularly.

harps#IM

Oct 23, 2006
Visit site
Reading the latest update from BoyGeninus, having the SIM inbuilt and not removable will be a big detraction for the iPhone! The last thing customers will want is to be locked in for ever and a day with the one phone carrier.
The iPhone is not going to be what the Treo or BlackBerry is.
The iPhone is an entertainment device, whereas the Treo & BlackBerry are business tools.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods