Will iPhone kill the Treo franchise?

neuronbob

Dec 3, 2004
Visit site
Because the iPhone will be limited to AT&T, the other providers will continue to offer competing devices, including the Treo. Further, the I doubt the iPhone will take the Treo's place in business applications. It will bring people into the smartphone fold who haven't been before.

MartinTek

Nov 27, 2006
Visit site
They are horses of a different color (Oh, Auntie Em!).

The Treo is geared toward business applications and also those who love to see what their device can be manipulated to do. On the business side their competition is the Blackberry. On the manipulator side (hackers) they have no competition... yet. If someone comes out with a decent Linux based smart phone, then we'll talk.

Apple loves to lock down their phones and control every aspect of it. They weren't expecting anyone to hack their intel macs. They are semi-embracing it now because their sales have gone up. I don't see them being as open with the iphone. Just look at the agreement they tried to push onto Verizon. A control freak company trying to tell a control freak company what to do. That gave me a chuckle. :)

byronchurch

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
There is no doubt that the iPhone is the sexiest phone I've never seen . But ..... if its anything like what it proposes to be I'll be done with treos ... But I'm just a nappy headed mac ho so what do I know ?!

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
There's a lot of phones out there that look nicer than the Treo. And what it proposes to be is not much compared to a Treo..

bclinger#IM

Sep 14, 2003
Visit site
When one looks at what the Treo is known to do and what the iTunes may do, there is not a lot going for the iPhone. Do I listen to music very often? No, but the Treo does well in that aspect with the two applications I have on it for that purpose. I use it heavily for data collection (HanDBase) and Documents To Go V9. I consider the Treo a mature device that has an excellent feel and one handed operation that few can measure up to. In addition, the number of third party applications for it keeps it relevant.

Ben

BMIC50

Jul 12, 2004
Visit site
I consider the Treo a mature device that has an excellent feel and one handed operation that few can measure up to. In addition, the number of third party applications for it keeps it relevant.

Ben

I definitely agree (with all that you said)...Try using the iPhone with one hand and see how far you get (with no props, holsters, etc)! :thumbsdn:

BMIC50

Jul 12, 2004
Visit site
The iPhone is like the sexy chick you had (or wish you had) a fling with, and the Treo is the wifey type! Sure, she is a looker and potential (almost button-less, Full OS), but she is high-maintenance (requires two hands to operate for most tasks outside of the phone app), involved with others (Apple wants tight control), and cant thrive in the real world (no announced productivity software supported)! Sure, my Treo 700p might not be a drop-dead gorgeous beach babe, but she tickles my fancy and takes care of home (and work)!

Tastypeppers

Sep 12, 2005
Visit site
The iPhone will be a big success. Treo's days are numbered. The two items are unrelated. The iPhone isn't going to kill the Treo. Something else will.

BMIC50

Jul 12, 2004
Visit site
The iPhone will be a big success. Treo's days are numbered. The two items are unrelated. The iPhone isn't going to kill the Treo. Something else will.

I agree on most of what you said, except that the Treo wont die. It may subside some, but it wont die. Look at the sales of the Treo models now, and see how the 700w/wx and 750 are amongst the best WinMo5 devices in North America. Shoot, name a model that has had the success of the Treo line! BB is about to release their software, negating the need to BUY a BB phone, so you will see that Treo line will survive and maybe regain the top spot! How quickly depends on the Linux-based Treo this winter!

BMIC50

Jul 12, 2004
Visit site

I agree on most of what you said, except that the Treo wont die. It may subside some, but it wont die. Look at the sales of the Treo models now, and see how the 700w/wx and 750 are amongst the best WinMo5 devices in North America. Shoot, name a model that has had the success of the Treo line! BB is about to release their software, negating the need to BUY a BB phone, so you will see that Treo line will survive and maybe regain the top spot! How quickly depends on the Linux-based Treo this winter!

raiderfan

Oct 20, 2002
Visit site
the iphone is Angelina Jolie.....the treo is Helen Hunt....are you looking for a one night stand or a long term relationship with your phone??????

Tastypeppers

Sep 12, 2005
Visit site

Yeah maybe you're right. It might not die, just fade away, just like generic PDAs (Palm's own, or the Axim, etc.).

I would like the Treo to continue and thrive. It's still my favorite phone. I fondled the Blackberry models at the T-Mobile store at lunch today and I couldn't live with them. Don't like the slide-out keyboard phones. The Dash is pretty sweet but lacks the touchscreen.

What is clear is that status quo won't keep the Treo in the game. New models with incremental improvements are essential to the Treo's evolution. 700p --> 755p is fine.

But The Great Leap Forward? I'm hoping that the Fabled Linux Treo will be great (also that it will be GSM and will be available unlocked/unbranded and not larded up with Cingular gunk).

But I can already see the threads on TC the day after the Fabled Linux Treo is released: "I'm so disappointed with the Fabled Linux Treo." :)

efudd

Jul 17, 2005
Visit site
i really am not knowledgable to vote on if treo's will survive. But I'm pretty sure the apple phone wont kill anyone off. the 60-70% of the market that doesn't have ATT isn't going to all run to ATT for it. And those people will need phones.

BMIC50

Jul 12, 2004
Visit site
Yeah maybe you're right. It might not die, just fade away, just like generic PDAs (Palm's own, or the Axim, etc.).

I would like the Treo to continue and thrive. It's still my favorite phone. I fondled the Blackberry models at the T-Mobile store at lunch today and I couldn't live with them. Don't like the slide-out keyboard phones. The Dash is pretty sweet but lacks the touchscreen.

What is clear is that status quo won't keep the Treo in the game. New models with incremental improvements are essential to the Treo's evolution. 700p --> 755p is fine.

But The Great Leap Forward? I'm hoping that the Fabled Linux Treo will be great (also that it will be GSM and will be available unlocked/unbranded and not larded up with Cingular gunk).

But I can already see the threads on TC the day after the Fabled Linux Treo is released: "I'm so disappointed with the Fabled Linux Treo." :)

Well, since you wanna go on 'fables,' then you should count the iPhone as one and nothing has been proven. So your 'fabled' iPhone wont kill a 'fabled' Linux Treo or the PROVEN Treo marketshare. Apples vs Apples. The Linux Treo will give the smartphone market reason to up the game because the ease-of-use is still giving WinMo5 & 6 complications...imagine it with multi-tasking abilities! And dont dare let them incorporate wifi or GPS (the market wont stand a chance if they do both!)...it will be the only touch-screen enabled, multi-tasking, easy-to-use device! If the fable of the iPhone keeps you dreaming, then the fabled Linux Treo should have you tossing from nightmeres of spending too much in an iPhone that will be a niche feature-phone at best! And some people will love all what the iPhone will present (and what it doesnt), but more will appreciate and actually use the Linux Treo. With a 'fabled' 5 year exclusivity on AT&T, it wont get the sales it needs to compete with a device such as the Treo that is supported across the GLOBE! Oh, and alert me when CEO's, Sales Managers, Department Heads, and most other white-collar positions switch to an iPhone that will hardly be supported by IT! But its all a 'fable'...we will find out if Palm's history can be erased anytime soon. If Palm dissolves, most people here and those who do have a Treo will switch to a SMARTphone, not an iPhone (just as you started to indicate earlier). So this convo is definitely two parts that dont mix.

sasq

Jan 6, 2005
Visit site
To be honest, the two biggest competitors to the iPhone are iPods and regular MP3 cell phones. It will be a consolidation of those devices.

This is similar to the Treo causing me to not get a cell phone and separate PDA.

Apple will keep share about the same, but will remove share from Motorola, Nokia, Sanyo, etc.

lazaruz

Nov 11, 2000
Visit site
sure the iphone will be a huge success- but palm is doing a good enough job of killing off the franchise on its own w/o any help from apple

Slingbox

Oct 27, 2006
Visit site
Will iPhone kill the Treo franchise?
The Treo Garent...Yes.The 755p is the proof of that.
The Treo WM6....No.It will stay Alive.Palm has Wimax in there future.
Conclusion,
Palm will step up like samsung && Moto have being the first to run wimax.
WM6 Palm Treo will live..

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73