View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
    I think the iphone tied it's own hands when they signed the exclusive with ATT. I think they would have done much better if they sold across the board. I don't think a lot of people will switch companies for the iphone, some will but not a lot. I know I wouldn't switch but if I could buy it and stay with Verizon I might do it. Just my 2 cents.

i have to agree that the ATT exclusive is a folly if they want to be dominant.
    05-25-2007 08:50 PM
    yes, it will. if you know anything about soccer-mom-ecomics and marketing you would agree.

soon enough they'll all be toting around an iphone.....why?

because they can.
    05-26-2007 12:29 AM
    Attention moderators.
    This thread was moved from a Treo 700p forum to an iPhone forum.
    The purpose of the thread was to find out whether users of the 700p think, due to the problems with their unit, the iPhone presents a reasonable alternative. Moving it to a forum where few 700p users will see it, sort of, defeats the purpose.
    Who ever moved it didn't understand the nature of, nor the intent of, the poll.
    The thread isn't about the iPhone, rather it is about users of one type of PDA considering an alternative.
    Please consider moving back to the forum whose user's input is being sought.
    Thanks!
    05-26-2007 04:56 AM
    i agree with Tasty.......Treo is dying a slow death and the iPhone will be hugely successful......both unrelated to each other.......

everytime i pick up my old Treo (still have one in a drawer) i laugh at how heavy and big the thing is.....that's what is killing it. it's overweight and it's old.

hi!
    05-26-2007 10:28 AM
    Iphone will be huge success but unrelated to Treo. I work in IT and everyone and their mother brings me their new smart phone so I can show them how it works.

Everytime I hold something, everytime I traverse OS's and try to manipulate data, I think how much cooler my Treo is.

There is no match in the market.

Iphone has cool two finger touch screen. Treo beats it appwise in every other sense.

BTW look at the join date. People at that time were:
    pissed because Palm was ignoring their needs.
    pissed because there was a new brighter phone on the horizon.
    pissed because there were no new phone innovations.
    05-26-2007 12:11 PM
    Wondering what folks think...
    While I intend to buy an iPhone on almost any terms, its overall success will depend in large part on the terms of the offer. My expectation is that the AT&T terms will make the total cost of ownership too high for a consumer device, particularly one that does not support 3G data. I cannot imagine anyone wanting to be locked into a 2G phone until 2009 or 2010.
    05-26-2007 02:09 PM
    All of which is still true.
    05-26-2007 02:10 PM
    i have to agree that the ATT exclusive is a folly if they want to be dominant.
    I agree too and I am already a Cingular customer.

[I am also a Sprint Broadband customer. I cannot imagine that most people will buy a 2G phone from a company that offers 3G in only a limited number of markets. Before I signed up with Sprint, I called the local Cingular store and asked when they expected to have 3G coverage in my Zip Code. "Not in 2007" was the answer. As a sometimes savvy consumer, I asked the obvious follow-up question and got an equally unsatisfying answer. Cingular talks a good 3G story but to the extent that they walk the walk, they are dragging their feet.]
    05-26-2007 02:19 PM
    ..........Fast forward a year and I hope that all of us and I mean all of us we be happy using our "Treo 800's" with (I first saw this rumor this week and all I can say is wow) You see I have a love-hate relationship with Palm.

1. Internal GPS
    2. AD2P (clicking on a headset and saying call Steve Sinclair) ( I did not see this in the rumor)
    3. CDMA (GSM) on the same phone
    4 And let's not forget Wifi too.
    5. How bout the Treo Shaving just a little more in thickness (The Blackjack is too thin and so is the Motorola Q)
    6. EVDO revision A.

How bout Treo's in two formats?

1. Traditional Treo's
    2. Full screen without keyboard to please some Palm users.

Apple will have real competition at this point!
    We should all live so long. Instead of focusing on the "next big thing," Palm should stick to what little it knows and does well.
    05-26-2007 02:23 PM
    Iphone will be huge success but unrelated to Treo. I work in IT and everyone and their mother brings me their new smart phone so I can show them how it works.

Everytime I hold something, everytime I traverse OS's and try to manipulate data, I think how much cooler my Treo is.

There is no match in the market.

Iphone has cool two finger touch screen. Treo beats it appwise in every other sense.

wow I'm kind of suprised that you're not a Windows user. The new HTC Kaiser is very very tempting....too bad i'm hooked on the simplicity of the palm OS
    05-26-2007 03:48 PM
    I agree too and I am already a Cingular customer.

[I am also a Sprint Broadband customer. I cannot imagine that most people will buy a 2G phone from a company that offers 3G in only a limited number of markets. Before I signed up with Sprint, I called the local Cingular store and asked when they expected to have 3G coverage in my Zip Code. "Not in 2007" was the answer. As a sometimes savvy consumer, I asked the obvious follow-up question and got an equally unsatisfying answer. Cingular talks a good 3G story but to the extent that they walk the walk, they are dragging their feet.]

it looks like sprint will be 4g (assuming wimax is 4g- right?) before cingular even goes 3g.
    05-26-2007 08:43 PM
    Wondering what folks think...
    Treo's future is where it has always been, in Palm's hands. That future looks less secure with every passing day. One only has to compare the price of RIMM and Apple stock to that of Palm to see where the leadership is.
    05-26-2007 09:07 PM
    it looks like sprint will be 4g (assuming wimax is 4g- right?) before cingular even goes 3g.
    Cingular/AT&T seems to lack both the resources and the commitment to build out their network. Sprint already has the best and fastest technology (CDMA) and the best coverage. The rest of the GSM world has left the US carriers in the dust. A 3G iPhone might have given them a chance to catch up but alas..............
    http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/May2007/4703.htm

shows that there are 117M UMTS/HSDPA users in the world but only 2.5M of them are in North America. The good news is that most of those were added in the last quarter. Compare to the Sprint EVDO users. [There may even be a few Verizon EVDO users.]
    05-26-2007 09:15 PM
    Because the iPhone will be limited to AT&T, the other providers will continue to offer competing devices, including the Treo. Further, the I doubt the iPhone will take the Treo's place in business applications. It will bring people into the smartphone fold who haven't been before.
    You will be able to purchase unlocked versions at any Apple store, allowing you to use any GSM carrier. Unfortunately, you will probably pay a premium price (no AT&T plan discount).
    05-27-2007 06:24 PM
    You will be able to purchase unlocked versions at any Apple store, allowing you to use any GSM carrier. Unfortunately, you will probably pay a premium price (no AT&T plan discount).

Personally, if Sprint were to have an iPhone, I'd buy it without question only because it looks sexy and I like having the latest and greatest. I'm not going to leave Sprint for AT&T just to buy the iPhone. I guess it's a shame that Apple didnt make the iPhone for all carriers. That would have been something to rave about.

My current 700p sits in a drawer somewhere. I was so disgusted by its BT performance that I've decided to use my 6700 until something is done about the "p"
    05-27-2007 08:24 PM
    poor, heavy, and big Treo......yes, the belt toting set might always love you but the purse carrier is going to turn you in.

or have they begun to do so already?

hi!
    05-27-2007 08:58 PM
    I hope that you are right but that is not my understanding. I am a Cingular customer but I do not buy discounted phones from them. I bought all my Treos either from Palm or distributors; I often paid a premium over list.
    05-27-2007 10:20 PM
    .........because they can.
    Yes, I can.
    05-27-2007 10:21 PM
    Last night Apple released 3 iPhone ads that speak TRUTH to the LIES that the iPhone needs two hands to be operated.

See for yourselves:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/

Yeah, the iPhone is going to absolutely destroy the Treo. And the Blackberry. And the Motorolla Q. And the Nokia NSeries. And EVERYTHING ELSE OUT THERE!
    06-04-2007 04:42 PM
    tough to destroy everything else out there when it wont work on the netwroks that 2/3rds of the people like to use.
    06-04-2007 04:57 PM
    Last night Apple released 3 iPhone ads that speak TRUTH to the LIES that the iPhone needs two hands to be operated.

See for yourselves:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/
    Yes, it was amazing how he was able to do EVERYTHING with ONE HAND!!!!! while holding the device with the other hand of course.

I knew IPhone fans went the brightest bulbs but this is getting ridiculous.

Surur
    06-04-2007 05:23 PM
    Yes, it was amazing how he was able to do EVERYTHING with ONE HAND!!!!! while holding the device with the other hand of course.

I knew IPhone fans went the brightest bulbs but this is getting ridiculous.

Surur
    Obviously they needed a clear line of sight to the screen for the camera to show the display properly but you could clearly see that the guy was navigating through everything using just one finger which is easily accomplish able with one hand which will be the actual normal usage.

As for not being the brightest bulbs...... the word you were looking for was "weren't" not "went".

Pot, meet kettle.
    06-04-2007 05:37 PM
    Obviously they needed a clear line of sight to the screen for the camera to show the display properly but you could clearly see that the guy was navigating through everything using just one finger which is easily accomplish able with one hand which will be the actual normal usage.
    Hmmm... not the way I usually hold a phone (pretty much the same way the chap in the ad is holding it). I'd need to use my thumb, which I estimate to be about 50% wider than my index finger Probably still work, for the main icons at least, not too sure about the keyboard.
    06-04-2007 05:50 PM
    Actually, looking at my thumbs a bit more , I notice that the left one has a contact area very similar to my index fingers but on the right one it's quite a bit bigger. My right thumb is really quite a fatty in comparison
    06-04-2007 05:57 PM
    I have been a Palm user since 1999 and now have a Treo 750v that I bought unlocked for lots of money right when it came out. I used to use my Palm a lot for business, not as much now. However, I am definitely going to look at the iPhone.

I can see the iPhone having an impact both positive and negative on the consumer type phones that Palm introduced, such as the 680. Consumers who like the iPhone, but cant justify the cost, might lean towards the 680, but just as well at any of the lower end PDA/Multimedia devices and iPhone knockoffs/clones that are bound to show up. On the other hand, those who were looking at the 680 or the like, might now forsake it for the iPhone.

However, there is one super important aspect to the iPhone that has very little to do with specs and everything with the cool factor. Thats why, even though there are many MP3 players with better specs than the iPod, most choose the iPod, cuz its cool.

The intro of the Foleo to me seems that Palm has lost its way. Instead of strengthing its lineup, both existing devices (updated ROMS etc) or new devices (better bluetooth, WiFi) it comes out with some kind of companion device that I am sure very few of the Palm owners on this site would use.

I feel that my 750v is an orphan, no ROM updates, no WM6. Its still an excellent device but I lust for the iPhone
    06-04-2007 06:00 PM
223 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD