The folks at Engadget either have been hoodwinked, or the scoop 'o the day.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/16/i...-until-januar/

Well, most are leaning to a hoax.

But it's interesting to see the genesis of it...an bogus email to internal Apple folks was good enough to fool them.

Maybe some phishing emails are in order as well...
    05-16-2007 12:18 PM
    Was just going to post that. Looks like Colligan was not so far off when he said its not that easy for PC engineers to make cell phones.
    05-16-2007 12:24 PM
    Update: While our source that provided us the information is solid, it turns out the internal memo we received was actually redacted. (Published after the break.) We also just heard back from Apple PR -- they let us know that the iPhone and Leopard are both still on track, and should meet their expected launch timeframes. We'll keep you up to the second with any further developments.

Apple email

Date: May 16, 2007 10:47:39 AM CDT
    To: [redacted]
    Subject: NEWS: Disregard Bullet*News Sent May 16 at Approximately 9 a.m. Central--AP/CA/EU/JP/LA/US

You may have received what appeared to be a Bullet*News from Apple. This communication is fake and did not come from Apple.

Apple is on track to ship iPhone in late June and Mac OS X Leopard in October.

Looks like Engadget have got themselves in a bit of mess over this one.
    05-16-2007 12:33 PM
    Another update:

Update: Here's the story. Our source supplied us with an internal Apple email that went out to thousands of employees (published after the break); as it turns out, the internal memo Apple employees received was actually redacted shortly thereafter. (Also published after the break.) We also just heard back from Apple PR -- they let us know that the iPhone and Leopard are both still on track, and should meet their expected launch timeframes. We'll keep you up to the second with any further developments.

Original Apple email

Date: May 16, 2007 9:09 AM CDT
    Subject: Mac OS X Leopard and iPhone Delayed

Mac OS X Leopard Delayed Until January
    iPhone Delayed Until October

REGIONS: Asia-Pacific, Canada, Europe, Japan, Latin America, United States
    GROUPS: AppleCare, Retail

Apple issued a press release today announcing that iPhone which was scheduled to ship in June, has been moved to October and the release date for Mac OS X Leopard has been moved to January next year. A beta version of Mac OS X Leopard will be given to developers at the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC).

Apple email redaction

Date: May 16, 2007 10:47 AM CDT
    Subject: NEWS: Disregard Bullet*News Sent May 16 at Approximately 9 a.m. Central--AP/CA/EU/JP/LA/US

You may have received what appeared to be a Bullet*News from Apple. This communication is fake and did not come from Apple.

Apple is on track to ship iPhone in late June and Mac OS X Leopard in October.
    05-16-2007 12:39 PM
    Was that a smooth move from June to late June? I had my calendar purple on June 11
    05-16-2007 01:32 PM
    I wonder if this was a day-trader trying to create a short term blip.
    05-16-2007 01:34 PM
    I still think the iphone will sell well because its an apple device, but will go the way of the newton...If another company came up with this device I think more would be laughing at it instead of clamouring for it.
    05-19-2007 02:20 PM
    I agree that the iPhone will sell well. But I disagree that it will go the way of the Newton. The Newton, although not a success, was years ahead of its time. People are all about convergence these days. PDAs are the norm. This will be a huge success.

Dunc
    05-20-2007 12:14 PM
    huge indeed.
    05-20-2007 02:12 PM
    But if people wanted a device like the iphone why no buzz over the just released samsung upstage? or whatever its called that has mp3 on one side and phone on the other?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18091591/
    05-20-2007 02:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD