From what I have seen it usually takes 2-3 months from the time a phone starts testing by the FCC to the launch date, how can Apple launch the iPhone on time in june if the iPhone hasnt even shown up on the FCC's web site?

From Appes iPhone web page:

This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/
    05-06-2007 10:25 PM
    combine that with the fact Apple had to delay their new OS and send engineers from that project to help the iPhone tells me it will be delayed.

I mean if things were going as scheduled why do that?
    05-06-2007 10:28 PM
    So, Apple's going to blame the FCC for the delays. (Oh, poor old Apple, the FCC are so cruel!)

I'm amazed at their ingenuity.

Just Cynical Me
    05-06-2007 10:43 PM
    Also notice the very fine print that states the FCC stuff.........just below all the BIG letters touting all things great about the iPhone.
    05-06-2007 11:03 PM
    SLOW DOWN...most FCC testing information is kept quiet until launch at the request of manufacturers.

this has been true with most palm products as well.

Sometimes testing will leak early but don't count on it.
    05-06-2007 11:06 PM
    These arguments always pop up before new devices...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...2&postcount=33
    05-06-2007 11:08 PM
    These arguments always pop up before new devices...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...2&postcount=33
    I call shenanigans!! You can't quote yourself, quoting yourself!
    05-06-2007 11:12 PM
    HA...how ya doin old pal?? waitin for the iphone like me?
    05-07-2007 12:25 AM
    HA...how ya doin old pal?? waitin for the iphone like me?
    Absolutely!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    05-07-2007 12:50 AM
    I dunno. That Apple-talk on the website - all weaselly 'n blamin' t' Effseesee 'n stuff - just sounds like typical corporate lawyer overkill to me. Whatever the business realities, you still need your overlawyered disclaimer. I still say they hit the June target.

Hmm. Mebbe now that the wife is out of contract she needs an iPhone.
    05-07-2007 01:27 AM
    From what I have seen it usually takes 2-3 months from the time a phone starts testing by the FCC to the launch date, how can Apple launch the iPhone on time in june if the iPhone hasnt even shown up on the FCC's web site?

From Appes iPhone web page:

This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/
    I think you might be putting two and two together and getting six. Haven't we seen with Palm devices that it's quite possible to get FCC approval and not have anything appear on the their web site? As to the Apple pages, they've said that since January - perhaps they just haven't updated them yet.

Maybe release will be delayed, maybe it won't, but I don't think it's possible to draw any meaningful conclusion from the two bits of evidence you mention.
    05-07-2007 03:13 AM
    combine that with the fact Apple had to delay their new OS and send engineers from that project to help the iPhone tells me it will be delayed.
    What is this, annual jump-to-a-conclusion day? Maybe moving the Leopard guys over to the iPhone project got it back on track, maybe it didn't.
    05-07-2007 03:17 AM
    So, Apple's going to blame the FCC for the delays. (Oh, poor old Apple, the FCC are so cruel!)

I'm amazed at their ingenuity.
    Don't you think it might be wise to save your amazement until the scenario you predict actually comes to pass?
    05-07-2007 03:26 AM
    Don't you think it might be wise to save your amazement until the scenario you predict actually comes to pass?
    Possibly... but then, who cares!

I could always change my opinion later, or eat my words, or accept that I was wrong in thinking and saying so... again, who cares! I've been wrong before, and this may not be the last time, either.
    05-07-2007 03:58 AM
    Just like the Apple-heads do?
    05-07-2007 04:21 AM
    Guys, Firstly apologies if my posts above came across a little a grouchy. I was just trying to point out that there really isn't a very compelling case to believe that the iPhone will be delayed beyond June. I don't think there's a lot to be gained by having the whole pro-Apple, anti-Apple debate again so how about we stick to the facts?

From what Apple says about this I think we can conclude that getting the iPhone out in June proved more difficult than they anticipated:

"iPhone has already passed several of its required certification tests and is on schedule to ship in late June as planned. We can’t wait until customers get their hands (and fingers) on it and experience what a revolutionary and magical product it is. However, iPhone contains the most sophisticated software ever shipped on a mobile device, and finishing it on time has not come without a price — we had to borrow some key software engineering and QA resources from our Mac OS X team, and as a result we will not be able to release Leopard at our Worldwide Developers Conference in early June as planned."

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/

They clearly state, however, that (at the time of the statement) it was on schedule and imply that it was using the Leopard engineers and QA people that got things back on track.

Will it be released in June? Will there be more difficulties that delay it beyond June? Are they lying in the statement above? I don't think any of us know for sure, but I would say that personally I'd need a lot of evidence before I accused them of lies, and at the moment there isn't a single shred that indicates that. I also suspect that if they knew for sure that it wouldn't be ready for June they'd have said something already, if only to try to manage the situation.
    05-07-2007 05:12 AM
    Also of note, this (apparently leaked from AT&T) suggests that the "launch period" will be June 15 to July 15:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2007/...nch-june-15th/
    05-07-2007 06:10 AM
    What is this, annual jump-to-a-conclusion day? Maybe moving the Leopard guys over to the iPhone project got it back on track, maybe it didn't.
    In the Mythical Man Month Fred Brooks demonstrated that one sure way to make a late project later was to add more bodies.
    05-07-2007 05:38 PM
    What many here seem to fail to understand is that the Leopard developers and the iPhone developers are one in the same. It is the same OS. This is the main point from here on out that will set Apple apart from others in their strategy. Every new product coming out of Apple from here on out will rely on this OS: Mac mini, Mac Pro, Mac Book, Mac Book Pro, Apple TV and YES, even the Airport Extreme. Soon the iPhone and the iPod.

So, although I hate to say it, you have missed Apple's slight of hand and have failed to see the real issue: what feature is Apple having trouble with that is casuing the delay". I could tell you but then I would have to kill you. Since you wouldn't believe me anyway, there is no point in me saying anything about the PC and Microsoft environmen... ooops. Got to go.
    05-07-2007 07:30 PM
    Archie, how's those Apple batteries again. Ive heard they are not as reliable as you said they were... I hope the IPhone doesn't swell up also. It would look so unbecoming!!!

Surur
    05-07-2007 08:03 PM
    Archie, how's those Apple batteries again. Ive heard they are not as reliable as you said they were... I hope the IPhone doesn't swell up also. It would look so unbecoming!!!

Surur
    If your comment is meant to be a dig, I'm afraid you are confused because the only battery issue you and I discussed was in regards to that of Apple's batteries providing more charge cycles than any other company.

You of course denied this and tried to offer proof that Compaq was offering this way before Apple. We then discovered this was false information that you provided to make yourself look good and me look bad.
    05-08-2007 02:44 AM
    If your comment is meant to be a dig, I'm afraid you are confused because the only battery issue you and I discussed was in regards to that of Apple's batteries providing more charge cycles than any other company.

You of course denied this and tried to offer proof that Compaq was offering this way before Apple. We then discovered this was false information that you provided to make yourself look good and me look bad.
    Of course its a dig at you. I guess the nice thing about being as delusional as you is that you don't even recognize when you were caught out being wrong wrong wrong. Nice misremembering there about the battery thread, but I wont bore everybody by quoting your posts.

Surur
    05-08-2007 03:49 AM
    The only delusional one here is you.

Here is the link:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ht#post1238785
    05-08-2007 12:11 PM
    hey, Itchy and Scratchy, shouldn't this little chat be in the OT forum?
    05-08-2007 01:08 PM
    I see you still dont understand you were wrong, but thats typical of you.

Surur
    05-08-2007 01:16 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD