Microsoft?s Chris Sorenson said Apple iPhone will be irrelevant to business user

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
since apple's mail and calendar apps sync with exchange, i'd guess it's a safe bet the iPhone will too. apple has already paid microsoft the licensing fees for it, all they have to do is include the functionality in the phone.

but it's just a guess.

<strong>edit:</strong> i'm not saying they may have this functionality this week. they're amortizing the profits over the next 2 years and intend to add features to the phones over that timespan.

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com
since apple's mail and calendar apps sync with exchange, i'd guess it's a safe bet the iPhone will too. apple has already paid microsoft the licensing fees for it, all they have to do is include the functionality in the phone.

but it's just a guess.

<strong>edit:</strong> i'm not saying they may have this functionality this week. they're amortizing the profits over the next 2 years and intend to add features to the phones over that timespan.

Yeah, but I would think that IF Apple would have added Exchange compatibility to this device, that it would be a HUGE selling point and they would list it somewhere in the Tech Specs for the device and/or have said something during the keynote. I really don't think it will be able to handle exchange right away.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Mail does for sure (I use it every day) but I'm pretty sure iCal doesn't. Address Book has an option to (but I've not used it so can't vouch for it).

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Yeah, but I would think that IF Apple would have added Exchange compatibility to this device, that it would be a HUGE selling point and they would list it somewhere in the Tech Specs for the device and/or have said something during the keynote. I really don't think it will be able to handle exchange right away.
Exchange email on iPhone was mentioned in the Macworld keynote. Here:

https://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf07/#mn_p

(somewhere :))

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Thats Exchange IMAP, just like any other IMAP.
For sure. But as far as I can see the only functional difference is the absence of push. Apple Mail polls at (user) defined intervals so you do have to wait a bit (5 min is what I have it set to so I guess the average wait is about 2.5 :)). Is push better? Definitely. Can you get your exchange mail with Apple Mail. Absolutely.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
For sure. But as far as I can see the only functional difference is the absence of push. Apple Mail polls at (user) defined intervals so you do have to wait a bit (5 min is what I have it set to so I guess the average wait is about 2.5 :)). Is push better? Definitely. Can you get your exchange mail with Apple Mail. Absolutely.

There's a lot more to Exchange than e-mail. The calendering part is very important in the business world, and of course there are things like notes and tasks which are useful to individuals.

Surur

Antoine, admit it, you have a mac, dont you?

sorry i don't. I use them much. only when i did a/v @ church and for few other tasks. I prefered BeOS for a while and then relented to windows because the Linux world is still a mess to me. lately its been all Treo and therefore i am digging the Foleo a bit more.

At the moment i am on the n800. Web apps are an attractive thought. OS platforms... eh

dstrauss#IM

Sep 20, 1999
Visit site
Talking about Exchange support is pretty irrelevant without attachment viewing support. Now, give me at least a Word/Excel/Powerpoint viewer AND Exchange push connectivity, then this IS a business user's alternative.

ScandaLeX

Jan 29, 2004
Visit site
Wow, those Microsoft guys are real masters of the obvious. Of course the iPhone won't be for business people. It doesn't do Exchange or BB. I love it when Microsoft idiots say stuff like that. It just makes them looks like real tools.

Joe

Real tools? If M$ didnt have something to say, you'd probably still refer to them in the same way. IMO, all types of ppl are going to buy an iPhone; even business users.... and for many reasons.

I dont know how many times I've read on these forums that a lot of ppl have more than one phone. Sometimes, especially weekends, you may not want to be connected to "business." Or you dont want to carry your brick to the club...

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
I dont know how many times I've read on these forums that a lot of ppl have more than one phone. Sometimes, especially weekends, you may not want to be connected to "business." Or you dont want to carry your brick to the club...

if it doesn't handle high-volume email in a real time manner, the iphone will not replace a blackberry for that type of business user. i was originally contemplating it as a second phone but i think it's somewhat silly to have two different phones that do almost the same.

will the iphone be a great device for someone who is a first time phone and ipod user, yes. will it be a great device for the glam weekender? absolutely. it's got cool written all over it and if you're an itunes person, it's ever better for you. but without exchange, BES, or some sort of real-time push email program, it will not be replacing the blackberry on much of wall street anytime soon. at least that's my take.

p.s. i love the "brick" reference

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
will the iphone be a great device for someone who is a first time phone and ipod user, yes. will it be a great device for the glam weekender? absolutely. it's got cool written all over it and if you're an itunes person, it's ever better for you. but without exchange, BES, or some sort of real-time push email program, it will not be replacing the blackberry on much of wall street anytime soon. at least that's my take.

Let me just add I completely agree with this. The IPhone will be very cool.

Surur

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
good enough

I have to agree with some earlier comments.

Blackberries are overrated. POP is good enough for most.

The only benefit of BB is syncing of inbox and calendar using BES. But that only works if you put everything in your compnay email and calendar, which I would never do.

I have multiple inboxes (work, personal), but only ONE calendar and to-do list.

POP/IMAP is the only way to handle this (and I prefer POP).

Sure there are some limitations, but they are very minor compared to the functionality.

I used to have a BB, and it email great, but I need more than just email.

So as far as email goes, the iPhone is fine with POP (or SPOP).

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
how is a blackberry overrated? most owners are business professionals whose workplace (finance industry especially as it is extremely email/data dependent) use a BES specifically for email purposes (as you state). and for those users (many on the go) a Blackberry with its more slim and portable design fits them perfectly. have you ever witnessed how long a Blackberry's battery's charge lasts?

i'd hardly say that they're overrated unless you equate overrated with success. now, a Treo on the other hand.....

mikec#IM

Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
overated

Overated in that everyone thinks that BB email is the be-all-end-all. It's not.

The BB was great 5 years ago when there weren't any options. Today, it's a just one a several options.

Yes, I've seen how long BB batteries last, and yes, they are good devices.

But companies overpay for them and the service.

Financial services always by the most expensive stuff anyway - after all, it's not their money they are spending ;-).

I know a global firm (40,000+ employees) who purged BB and went to Treos.

Saved over $20M, and had happier employees. (No one picks a BB when they can have a Treo.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal