Will the iPhone has a glass coated type screen on one more like current PPCs?

odnerd

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
The new HP touchsmart PC has a glass coated touchscreen that is extremely durable. Is the iPhone supposed to have the same type or one more like a Treo, 8125, etc...

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
It has a glass capacitive touch screen, unlike normal PDA's. Advantage - durable. Disadvantage, does not work with styluses, only fingers.

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
It has a glass capacitive touch screen, unlike normal PDA's. Advantage - durable.
Also supposed to have better clarity.

One advantage that the capacitive system has over the resistive system is that it transmits almost 90 percent of the light from the monitor, whereas the resistive system only transmits about 75 percent. This gives the capacitive system a much clearer picture than the resistive system.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question716.htm

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
It has a glass capacitive touch screen, unlike normal PDA's. Advantage - durable. Disadvantage, does not work with styluses, only fingers.

Surur

I was trying to find a reference to this a few days ago...
Is it incompatible with sylus input, or just designed primarily for finger input (where you could still use a stylus)? There are other glass screen devices that work both ways...

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
We have seen people who have used the device comment that it wont work with gloves on. So yes, it looks like styluses specifically wont work either.

From Pogue:
“You referred to the screen as being a ‘glass surface.’ Was it a figure of speech or is it really made out of glass?” –Figure of speech. It’s the same polycarbonate that’s used for iPod screens, although apparently the coating has been substantially improved.

“Does the screen scratch easily?” –See above.

“Will the iPhone touch surface work if you’re wearing gloves? Be unpleasant to use the phone in the dead of winter otherwise.” –No, it responds ONLY to skin touch. I couldn’t use my fingernail, for example. And you certainly can’t use a stylus. (On the other hand, I doubt there’s ANY smartphone you can operate with gloves on.)
http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/01/13/ultimate-iphone-faqs-list-part-2/

Surur

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
One of the things I am most curious about is the actual interface. IF it works even mostly as well as Jobs described it should be really cool. If it does, there won't be a need for a stylus. Good thing I live in the south - we have maybe three or four days a year where gloves are needed.
I can't wait to play with this thing! If it doesn't work well, 8525 here I come...

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I just read an investors report about Balda, the company maiking these screens for the iPhone. It said that this glass-surfaced screen for the iPhone is more durable, far more sensitive and thinner while also harder to scratch or smudge than plastic displays.

As far as cold weather goes, Tavo has a pair of gloves made with thermal fabric and silicon grips that will supposedly work:

tavo.jpg

Tastypeppers

Sep 12, 2005
Visit site
<snip>

As far as cold weather goes, Tavo has a pair of gloves made with thermal fabric and silicon grips that will supposedly work:

tavo.jpg

<comment>

Doesn't this seem a step in the direction of making things more complicated than necessary? I have to carry around a special pair of gloves just for use with my phone?

Oh, yeah. I forgot. I live in Pasadena. When the temperature is 60 degrees I whine. :)

</comment>

<question>

Yeah, well, it is nice to say it doesn't scratch so much but I'm a guy who has always put screen protectors on my Treos. I have anti-scratch protection on my Nano.

What I want to hear is "The iPhone's screen doesn't suffer scratches at all because it is made of [some sort of wonder stuff]."

Is this screen really going to be just "less" susceptible to scratches?

</question>

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Can you answer phone calls without touching the screen on the IPhone? Will it work with a screen protector? This is going to be one funny phone.

Surur

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
What I want to hear is "The iPhone's screen doesn't suffer scratches at all because it is made of [some sort of wonder stuff]."
I believe the name of the material you're trying to remember is: "Unobtanium" It is not only indestructible, but it knows what you want to do before you do and it has a quirky tendency to make gullible people worship it...sight unseen. :eek:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR