Iphone

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Hate to disappoint you and your imagined victory but...
From Apple.com

Lithium Ion Batteries

Rechargeable Lithium-based technology currently provides the best performance for your Apple notebook computer or iPod. You can also find this standard battery technology in devices such as cell phones and PDAs. Apple batteries share the characteristics common to Lithium-based technology found in other devices. Like other rechargeable batteries, these batteries may eventually require replacement.

Standard Technology
Lithium-ion batteries pack in a higher power density than Nickel-based batteries. This gives you a longer battery life in a lighter package, as Lithium is the lightest metal. You can also recharge a Lithium-ion battery whenever convenient, without the full charge or discharge cycle necessary to keep Nickel-based batteries at peak performance. (Over time, crystals build up in Nickel-based batteries and prevent you from charging them completely, necessitating an inconvenient full discharge).

Standard Charging
Most Lithium-ion batteries use a fast charge to charge your device to 80% battery capacity, then switch to trickle charging. That’s about two hours charge time to power iPod to 80% capacity, then another two hours to fully charge iPod, if you are not using iPod while charging. You can charge all Lithium-ion batteries a large but finite number of times, as defined by charge cycle.

Charge Cycle.
Using and recharging 100% of battery capacity equals one full charge cycle.

A charge cycle means using all of the battery’s power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge. For instance, you could listen to your iPod for a few hours one day, using half its power, and then recharge it fully. If you did the same thing the next day, it would count as one charge cycle, not two, so you may take several days to complete a cycle. Each time you complete a charge cycle, it diminishes battery capacity slightly, but you can put both notebook and iPod batteries through many charge cycles before they will only hold 80% of original battery capacity. As with other rechargeable batteries, you may eventually need to replace your battery.

How to Maximize Power Use
The length of time your battery will power your device depends on how you use it. For instance, watching a DVD will use up your notebook battery’s power more quickly than simple word processing. You can follow some simple steps to maximize your notebook’s or iPod’s battery life.

Hot Tip
If you use your iPod or notebook in temperatures higher than its specified operating range, 95?F (or 35?C), you may permanently damage your battery’s capacity. I.e., your battery won’t power your device as long on any given charge. You may damage it even more if you charge the device in these temperatures. Even storing a battery in a hot environment can damage it irreversibly.

On Playing It Cool
You may find that playing an iPod in a very cold environment decreases battery life. Unlike a hot environment, this is a temporary condition. Once molecules in the battery warm up, the battery will return to its previous capacity.

https://www.apple.com/batteries/#mn_p
This page has not been updated. Apple has been using Lithium-polymer batteries for at least a year now.

See this link as an example: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303785

Also, read all of the Tech Specs pages for the products.

I'm not sure why that page, you some how managed to find, hasn't been updated yet.

btw, Archie, Lithium Polymer has no more recharge cycles than lithium ion, about 500. Wrong again.
Lithium-polymer DOES have more charge cycles than Lithium ion. That is perhaps one of the more important benefits of the battery and you will discover this on any wiki page or fact sheet. How can you sit there and tell me otherwise?

It also has an advantage in not weighing as much and being quite...

Wait, just read this from the wiki:
Since no metal battery cell casing is needed, the battery can be lighter and it can be specifically shaped to fit the device it will power. Because of the denser packaging without intercell spacing between cylindrical cells and the lack of metal casing, the energy density of Li-Poly batteries is over 20% higher than that of a classical Li-Ion battery and approximately three times better than NiCd and NiMH batteries.​
This will prove particularly useful in the iPhone, which is the original subject here.

You are such a blind fanboy. I hear the latest Mac Pro uses atomic batteries and never needs recharging. Thats because they are really 5 years ahead of everyone else!

I gues all these othe Appleusers are also amazed with Apple's battery tech!

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:...0+site:apple.com+500&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk

https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...bjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID&token=GgOIWrG9

Archie, again,wrong, wrong, wrong :shake: :rolleyes:

Surur
These are spammers and ramblings that you have selectively pasted in.

How about this one that I found just below yours:

I love my powerbook. The battery life depends on a number of different factors so I have to laugh when people chide apple because THEY probably didn't use the battery correctly.

When you first receive your battery make sure to run the charge down completely before it is ever charged for the first time.

If you can keep your laptop plugged in when not traveling, this will help to lengthen the life of the battery.

SO GET OVER IT, CRYBABIES. LOL!!

(38 of 60 people found this review useful)

3 year old battery
Written by BJ from SPRINGFIELD
November 16, 2006

I can't do this any more. I'm done.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Archie, Archie, Archie... 10 000 cycles? Really?

When compared to the lithium ion battery, Li-Poly had a greater life cycle degradation rate. However, in recent years, manufacturers have been declaring upwards of 500 charge-discharge cycles before the capacity drops to 80% (see Sanyo). Another variant of Li-Poly cells, the "thin film rechargeable lithium battery" has been shown to provide more than 10,000 cycles.
From your precious wikipedia article.

A very specific and recent implementation has 10 000. Most Lithium Polymer batteries (which have been around for some time in fact) have less. Much less. I fact less than Lithium ion.

Archie said:

With as much disinformation as you are attempting to spread I would hope so.:rolleyes:

Surur

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
How about this one that I found just below yours:

I think many people are unaware of what you need to do with Powerbook batteries. I remember this when I used the 12", they said to let the battery power down then charge. But it should be made more prominently known. I think most people have the "charge up as soon as I get in the door" instinct with brand new devices.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I think many people are unaware of what you need to do with Powerbook batteries. I remember this when I used the 12", they said to let the battery power down then charge. But it should be made more prominently known. I think most people have the "charge up as soon as I get in the door" instinct with brand new devices.
See...here's the thing: that "advice" about deep-discharging/cycling?

Completely, totally wrong. You never do that for any Li battery.

So wrong in fact that it actually damages the battery to do so. I guess it doesn't surprise me that an Apple user on that board cited above would post such out-dated non-sense (that works for NiMH/NiCD batteries), act like the know-it-all and then in marches Archie to prop it up as evidence to support his position :rolleyes:

So that's why it's not more prominently known because it is wrong...

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I did remember seeing that before however, so people were doing it to Powerbook batteries. I think even Apple said to do it, but I have to find the documentation. I still have the 12" but haven't used it in so long.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
...and then in marches Archie to prop it up as evidence to support his position :rolleyes:
I was't using it to illustrate how to properly charge a battery, I was using it to illustrate that people get good battery life out of the batteries that Apple supplies ? ignoring the angry, Apple-hating, spamming trolls like suror wants to use to suppory his... whatever... whatever it is he is trying to do:

i just hope the new models don't have this same problem. the powerbook is great but the battery in hinestight makes that it not worth buying, because i have lost stuff i can't buy back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​

What the heck is that about. She is ranting and raving about the battery because she left it unplugged one day then the computer crashed and she lost everything. Oh, yeh, THATS the battery's fault.:rolleyes:

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I was't using it to illustrate how to properly charge a battery, I was using it to illustrate that people get good battery life out of the batteries that Apple supplies – ignoring the angry, Apple-hating, spamming trolls like suror wants to use to suppory his... whatever... whatever it is he is trying to do

Yes Archie, everyone who does not worship Steve Jobs hates Apple. :rolleyes: I think my quote quite adequately demonstrates people using Apple products experience both good AND bad battery life, unlike your grandiose claim that Apple products never disappoint.

I think the mini came out about 3.5 - 4 years ago so they would have used a Lithium-ion type battery going that far back.

You know Archie, the Ipaq 3100 from 2001 used a Lithium Polymer battery. According to you it sounds as if Apple was behind the times again.

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
See...here's the thing: that "advice" about deep-discharging/cycling?

Completely, totally wrong. You never do that for any Li battery.

So wrong in fact that it actually damages the battery to do so. I guess it doesn't surprise me that an Apple user on that board cited above would post such out-dated non-sense (that works for NiMH/NiCD batteries), act like the know-it-all and then in marches Archie to prop it up as evidence to support his position :rolleyes:

So that's why it's not more prominently known because it is wrong...
Apple recommend that you calibrate your battery when you first get the machine and do so again every few months. Calibration involves discharging the battery to the point where the computer is forced to sleep.

Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance

You can calibrate your iBook, PowerBook, MacBook or MacBook Pro computer's lithium ion battery for best performance.

The battery has an internal microprocessor that provides an estimate of the amount of energy in the battery as it charges and discharges. The battery needs to be recalibrated from time to time to keep the onscreen battery time and percent display accurate. With all iBooks and PowerBook G4 computers except the aluminum PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD), you should perform this procedure when you first use your computer and then every few months thereafter.

[snip]

PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD), MacBook (all models), MacBook Pro (all models), and MacBook Pro (17-inch) (all models)

The battery calibration for the PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD) and any model of MacBook or MacBook Pro has been updated because of a new battery released with this computer. With these computers, follow these steps to calibrate your battery:

1. Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your PowerBook's battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.

2. Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for at least two hours. You may use your computer during this time as long as the adapter is plugged in.

3. Disconnect the power adapter with the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, you will see the low battery warning dialog on the screen.

4. Continue to keep your computer on until it goes to sleep. Save all your work and close all applications when the battery gets very low, before the computer goes to sleep.

5. Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.

6. Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

Your assertion that deep discharging is 'completely, totally wrong' and that you should 'never' do it is at odds with what Apple say. Like you I've read the advice that to preserve the life of Li-ion/Li-polymer batteries you should keep them topped up as much as possible. I follow this advice but do a calibration as described by Apple every six months.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I did remember seeing that before however, so people were doing it to Powerbook batteries. I think even Apple said to do it, but I have to find the documentation. I still have the 12" but haven't used it in so long.
For the MacBook, calibration advice (identical to that I posted above) is on p. 23 of the manual. I imagine something very similar is in the PowerBook manual. Your memory serves you well :)

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I was't using it to illustrate how to properly charge a battery, I was using it to illustrate that people get good battery life out of the batteries that Apple supplies – ignoring the angry, Apple-hating, spamming trolls like suror wants to use to suppory his... whatever... whatever it is he is trying to do:

i just hope the new models don't have this same problem. the powerbook is great but the battery in hinestight makes that it not worth buying, because i have lost stuff i can't buy back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​

What the heck is that about. She is ranting and raving about the battery because she left it unplugged one day then the computer crashed and she lost everything. Oh, yeh, THATS the battery's fault.:rolleyes:

If the battery does die, shouldn't all the stuff remain on the hard drive? I would think that's standard these days.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
For the MacBook, calibration advice (identical to that I posted above) is on p. 23 of the manual. I imagine something very similar is in the PowerBook manual. Your memory serves you well :)

Thanks! I knew I wasn't losing it!

At least not in that instance, LOL! :D

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Yes Archie, everyone who does not worship Steve Jobs hates Apple. :rolleyes: I think my quote quite adequately demonstrates people using Apple products experience both good AND bad battery life...
NO, it doesn't. You only pulled bad quotes, which to the normal person actually reading the postings, would be obvious spam.

You did not take any initiative to copy good quotes as well.

Quotes like: The Mac sucks.

You went out of your way to skip the good ones.

You know Archie, the Ipaq 3100 from 2001 used a Lithium Polymer battery. According to you it sounds as if Apple was behind the times again.

Surur
That is a link to a Lithium Polymer battery that you can purchase as a replacement for the Ipaq. Nice try. If you check your history, you will find that Lithium-Ion batteries have only been available for sale for about the last 2 years.

You are insinuating that Compaq was ahead of Apple in selecting this battery technology. This is not true. Again, this is because the battery was not available then. An after market product that was released this year for a 6 year old device doesn't mean that the Ipaq came out with it first.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
NO, it doesn't. You only pulled bad quotes, which to the normal person actually reading the postings, would be obvious spam.

You did not take any initiative to copy good quotes as well.

Quotes like: The Mac sucks.

You went out of your way to skip the good ones.

I quoted a contiguous section of text. Some of the text quoted can even be construed as good, e.g.

I can't complain.
Written by JM from Burnaby
February 13, 2007

Try looking with less biased eyes. Here is the quoted text again.

I have had a 12-inch PowerBook for a little over 18 months, and now anytime I unplug my laptop from the outlet it turns off. I honestly feel ripped off because the problem began around 1 month after my 12 month warranty.

(4 of 15 people found this review useful)

Poor apple product
Written by JH from Charlottesville
March 2, 2007

Report this as inappropriate >

I've had my 12' powerbook for over three years. It has been through 474 load cycles, and it is just now getting down below half it's original capacity.
Its not unreasonable to have to spend 150 bucks every couple of years to maintain a tool that I ... Read more >use every day.
(I suspect this is meant to be good, but going to half capacity after 500 recharge cycles is not meant to be good)
(7 of 15 people found this review useful)

I can't complain.
Written by JM from Burnaby
February 13, 2007

Report this as inappropriate >

I had my powerbook for about a year ann then the battery life went down 30mins and then around 6 months later it went down to 1 min. so if it is not pluged in is computer truns off right in the middidle of what you are doing. then one time my powerbo... Read more >ok came unpluged and i did not notice because the powercord comes out to easy and my computer truned off and when i powered it back up it had locked up andi went to the mac store they told me tht they only way to fix it was to re-load mac OX ten. but because my hard drive was locked up we could not save the ANY!!!!! of the DATA. because of this i lost many photographic pojects that were in progress. all of music gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this battery is a major problem. i just hope the new models don't have this same problem. the powerbook is great but the battery in hinestight makes that it not worth buying, because i have lost stuff i can't buy back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(10 of 31 people found this review useful)

this battery sucks
Written by CB from San Francisco
February 11, 2007

That is a link to a Lithium Polymer battery that you can purchase as a replacement for the Ipaq. Nice try. If you check your history, you will find that Lithium-Ion batteries have only been available for sale for about the last 2 years.

You are insinuating that Compaq was ahead of Apple in selecting this battery technology. This is not true. Again, this is because the battery was not available then. An after market product that was released this year for a 6 year old device doesn't mean that the Ipaq came out with it first.

Yes Archie, and I went back in time and changed this 2001 article also. :rolleyes:

Great features of an iPAQ
Other than the differences described above, the 3100 is identical to the color-screen iPAQ introduced over a year ago.

It has the same fast 206 MHz StrongARM processor.
Same high-capacity Lithium Polymer rechargeable battery for 15 hours of continuous use (or a week or two of normal use) between charges.
Same size (but listed as slightly lighter than the color-screen version).
Same operating system (Windows CE 3.0).
Same set of built-in applications from Microsoft (MS Pocket Office, Pocket Outlook and more (see "Spec Sheet" and sidebar).
Same set of built-in software from Compaq.
It accepts the same set of accessories, including the Expansion Packs to add storage memory and hardware features.

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/_archives/Jul01/lowcost.stm

or here:

Lithium Polymer batteries started appearing in consumer electronics around 1996 and can be found in some of the later models of iPaq , for example the replacement iPaq battery for the iPaq 5500 and the iPaq HW6500. However the 3100, 3600, 3700, 3800 and 3900 iPaq battery is also a Lithium Polymer battery.
http://www.digitalera.co.uk/batteries/pda-battery/ipaq-battery/info.html

Poor Archie. Most of what you 'know' is wrong. That's so sad. :cry:

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Looking at two of those posts above, so the hard drive dies if the battery dies??

That person probably had a hard drive crash, probably unrelated to the loss of power. S/he just connected the two events because the battery life had been a problem for a while.

Surur

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Glad i didn't have any battery concerns..lol

I think the main thing to consider for me may just be the carrier. I'm tied up with Sprint with a data usb modem (inlaw lives in rural area and this is his only option for high speed internet that looked good) plus 2 other phones.

If it was coming to sprint, i'd buy one for the wife, just to have another toy to play with. I'll let cingular users work the bugs out with this one.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro