Cant download songs to iPhone-CNBC today

newtonjack

Oct 17, 2004
hometown.aol.com
On CNBC today one of the reporters said with the iPhone you will need to download songs to your mac or PC then transfer to the iPhone. They said thats a huge drawback to the iPhone since most all current cellphones can get them right over the air to the phone, bypasing the need for downloading 1st to a PC. Is this true?

meyerweb#CB

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
Since no one outside od Apple and its tech partners has even handled an iphone, much less loaded loaded music on one, what makes you think anyone here could possbly know the answer to that question?

dutchtrumpet

Dec 20, 2003
Visit site
Since no one outside od Apple and its tech partners has even handled an iphone, much less loaded loaded music on one, what makes you think anyone here could possbly know the answer to that question?

Because Steve Jobs said as much during his keynote. You must sync with your mac/pc in the same mannner as an iPod.

No OTA (network or wifi) syncing of tunes.

questionfear

Nov 4, 2006
Visit site
And to be fair, there are plenty of phones that don't allow it or only allow it for certain songs/certain situations. Treo 680 for one, which is also marketed as a consumer-friendly media phone. Also, and I am sure someone can confirm or deny this, but I am pretty sure some of the sony ericsson walkman phones don't allow over the air syncs/downloads.
I agree though that it's probably a DRM implementation problem.

treoneo

Aug 6, 2003
Visit site
it is no biggie for most but it seems backwards to not offer ota downloads of songs when a lot of basic cell phones today do that. Especially since the iphone is supposed to be a next generation phone. Maybe a next generation design & UI but past generation features.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
There could be one legitimate reason - EDGE bandwidth is too low. Otherwise there are a lot of poorer reasons, starting from the Itunes client on the IPhone being far from full featured.

Surur

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
it is no biggie for most but it seems backwards to not offer ota downloads of songs when a lot of basic cell phones today do that. Especially since the iphone is supposed to be a next generation phone. Maybe a next generation design & UI but past generation features.

I have to agree with this!

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Hope that means they're looking into allowing OTA downloads! Great, because it would have been kind of weird to have an official iPod wifi phone and not be able to download from iTunes!

That's one mistake Zune made, no OTA downloads from their own marketplace.

bigwalton

Jan 30, 2001
Visit site
if it's just like what i have to do with my ipod i could care less....

no biggie for me

Bingo, no one at Apple would much care since no one's ever been able to do this with the iPod and it hasn't hurt their sales one bit.

The TINY fraction of all cellphone users that actually do this (no one could ever convince me that it's more than some tenth of a percent of ALL--read business users included--actually bother with this) wouldn't merit the bother with making it happen.

This way it's exactly like the iPod process everyone has come to know and love.

If they do it great, but I wouldn't expect it.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Bingo, no one at Apple would much care since no one's ever been able to do this with the iPod and it hasn't hurt their sales one bit.

The TINY fraction of all cellphone users that actually do this (no one could ever convince me that it's more than some tenth of a percent of ALL--read business users included--actually bother with this) wouldn't merit the bother with making it happen.

In other words, you may as well just have taped your Ipod to your Razr.

Surur

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site

Wow, and I already know 5 people who do download stuff from Cingular OTA. :confused:

It's also a good way to show Zune that what they did was so stupid by not allowing OTA downloads through wifi.

bigwalton

Jan 30, 2001
Visit site
Wow, and I already know 5 people who do download stuff from Cingular OTA. :confused:

Again, the people who are on here are so far from the "norm" of cellphone users that this doesn't surprise me at all. So you know 5, how many people do you know that have cellphones in total?

We're all looking at this from a very skewed perspective out here in cool-gadget-power-phone-user land.

Everyone on this forum could know 20 people who download songs OTA and it still wouldn't change my opinion on the percentage of cell phone users that do it, given how ubiquitous cell phones are.

My father has a cellphone, (a Treo even) and knows probably 500 people who also have them, and I'd bet HUGE money that not one of them even knows if they could download songs OTA.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
They beat you over the head with ads that tell you you can do it. Or the phone is loaded with "download from your carrier" stuff. How can people be missing all that?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
If they are buying songs from Itunes they could as easily buy them OTA. Why is that so hard to imagine? If you cant download music on your connected device where is the synergy of a converged device? You may as well tape your Razr to your Ipod.

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Again, the people who are on here are so far from the "norm" of cellphone users that this doesn't surprise me at all. So you know 5, how many people do you know that have cellphones in total?

We're all looking at this from a very skewed perspective out here in cool-gadget-power-phone-user land.

Everyone on this forum could know 20 people who download songs OTA and it still wouldn't change my opinion on the percentage of cell phone users that do it, given how ubiquitous cell phones are.

My father has a cellphone, (a Treo even) and knows probably 500 people who also have them, and I'd bet HUGE money that not one of them even knows if they could download songs OTA.

100% agree with you, but then again, i always seem to be in the minority.

there are 200mm++ cell phone users in the U.S. alone....treocentral is hardly even a sample......

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW