Honestly, will the iPhone have enough storage for some?

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
what i don't need is my entire collection of music on my phone. that is what i don't need. if you want your entire collection of music on your phones, great! i'd rather have additional storage for other more applicable and useful files than having every single song available to me that i couldn't ever listen to unless i was doing nothing for very long periods of time!

hey, if having 100gb's of music stored on your phone is important to you then more power to ya! this user can do with LOTS less. it is that simple.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
On the expansion card, I'd put videos, maybe more music, and some audiobooks.

And here's what you're missing in my case. Another reason I need all that music is so I DON'T have to keep syncing. I have much of what I want already on the iPod. Also videos take up more space than music. If I want videos on the iPhone, I'm then going to have to ration even more space.

I actually don't seriously use phones for music unlike others. Until the iPhone came into view as a chance to dump the iPod, that is.
If you don't want to keep syncing there are websites that would be available to the iPhone that would allow streaming of content you have at home.

Anyway; the whole purpose of syncing is to (well OK, one of the purposes of syncing) is to access new content... new songs you purchase, new CDs you RIP, new movies that are released, new TV shows that get aired,new podcasts, whatever. And a great majority of people will not want to watch the same TV show over and over again. They will want to watch the newest episode that gets aired, so that means they will have to load it onto the iPod or iPhone or Treo or whatever.

THIS MEANS SYNCING.

You have to do it with your Treo, you have to do it with your iPod... you have to do it with your iPhone; so no one can get on this forum and honestly spout off how poorly the iPhone is designed because you have to... *gasp* sync it.

Christinac130

Feb 28, 2005
Visit site
Didn't mean to steal your thunder :) I originally posted to support those of you suggesting more is better when it comes to storage and kept it going because oalvarez reponded to one of my posts. I hope we can still be friends :)

I was just trying to tell you, I've got your back...;)

It doesn't matter anyway. Some of us need the option to expand the storage in our devices, some don't. I can tell by the numerous iPhone threads that both sides will not ever see eye to eye. :p

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
If you don't want to keep syncing there are websites that would be available to the iPhone that would allow streaming of content you have at home.

Anyway; the whole purpose of syncing is to (well OK, one of the purposes of syncing) is to access new content... new songs you purchase, new CDs you RIP, new movies that are released, new TV shows that get aired,new podcasts, whatever. And a great majority of people will not want to watch the same TV show over and over again. They will want to watch the newest episode that gets aired, so that means they will have to load it onto the iPod or iPhone or Treo or whatever.

THIS MEANS SYNCING.

You have to do it with your Treo, you have to do it with your iPod... you have to do it with your iPhone; so no one can get on this forum and honestly spout off how poorly the iPhone is designed because you have to... *gasp* sync it.

I wasn't talking about it being poorly designed due to syncing. That's to be expected. All I asked is will there be enough storage for some. Like those who like to carry a lot of music for whatever reason. I cannot replace my iPod for a convergent device. I want to reserve space for apps and important stuff too, which means less space for the entertainment. And in essence, I'd have yet another extra iPod, if I buy the iPhone. I honestly don't need anymore iPods.

I just loaded another 4GB of music, BTW. But what I'm going to do is try again with the smaller amount of music and see if I can do with 2-3GB for the day. But it will mean syncing every night.

Which is why I agree with Marcol and Christina, more is better so you don't have to sync as much.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
sounds like your question has been answered. there will not be enough storage for yourself, marcol, and christina. there will be enough storage for others.

2-3gb just for one day? i have 2.65gb equating to 568 items in my itunes library. holy smokes! :)

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
You only have 568 songs ?!? Thats only about an album a month x 4 years. No wonder storage is meaningless to you. I've got 4000+ in my library, and its not even that big.

Surur

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
sounds like your question has been answered. there will not be enough storage for yourself, marcol, and christina. there will be enough storage for others.
Some others. Apple have been offering 20 GB or 20+ GB iPods alongside lower capacity players since 2002 so there's obviously a market for devices with lots of storage and I guess this means plenty of people have big libraries.

620px-IPod_Models_Timeline.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipod

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site

2-3gb just for one day? i have 2.65gb equating to 568 items in my itunes library. holy smokes! :)

What bit rate do you rip at? I have one list at 543 equalling 3.51GB(that's the playlist for about 2 days). If using high bit rates, it equals less songs. However, I'm still adding music.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
You only have 568 songs ?!? Thats only about an album a month x 4 years. No wonder storage is meaningless to you. I've got 4000+ in my library, and its not even that big.

Surur

yes, that is all i have in my "iTunes library." my cd collection is another story.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
That not true I may watch a tv at least 3 times in the same week if it was good.
I was talking about one particular episode: like say that last episode of "Lost". Not TV shows in general.

Once again, my point is lost on forum members not reading what I write.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
It doesn't matter anyway. Some of us need the option to expand the storage in our devices, some don't. I can tell by the numerous iPhone threads that both sides will not ever see eye to eye. :p
It's not that I wouldn't like to be able to expand storage in the devices that I use; it's just that I look at these devices differently than you. It IS in our nature to feel that we should purchase more than we think we may need, to be prepared, to be "better safe than sorry", and to make sure we are "keepin' up with the Joneses". That is what drives our need to feed our desires for the latest and greatest feature-packed products.

Turning our attention to the iPhone now:

Having not experienced the iPhone, all that anyone can go on are specs. This is what people base their judgement of the product on because they cannot see it and experience it and touch it. Apple, Inc. has not, does not, and probably will not ever design a product to compete and beat another company's product specs. But they will design it so that it will be a good experience to use. A warm and human experience. They have done this for 30 years and there is no indication they will change.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I use specific playlists where the music obviously isn't repeated.

But when I ask the iPod to shuffle everything, I get either the same artist, album, genre or song within a short period of time. It went through 5 of the same genre just the other day. And I have an even mix of everything on there. I just loaded more music on there, let's see if that helps.
YOU HAD THE iPOD SET TO SHUFFLE AND YOU HAD 2 SONGS PLAYED IN A ROW FROM THE SAME GENRE?!?!

I'm not sure what to say...

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Or maybe it's just that you don't live with them, and don't really know what others may need for their own usage. You just assume by what you do that everyone else is the same.
oalvarez first wrote:

i respect what it is that you all might say but i have 585 songs occupying 2.65gb's in my itunes library....is it a necessity to have all of them on my pda/phone? i don't think so. my ipod exists for dedicated purposes, i don't expect or require my pda to replace such.

i'm surprised it's such a necessity for so many of you...seriously

I wrote:

I'm surprised too. They are making irrational excuses and trying to defend them with specs and numbers. Actual usage cannot be measured with numbers.

Phone Diva wrote:

Or maybe it's just that you don't live with them, and don't really know what others may need for their own usage. You just assume by what you do that everyone else is the same.

My response:

Have you ever heard of the Delphi Method? It is what Steve Jobs uses to judge what comes out of Apple, Inc. It also serves to explain why the iPod nano has proven to be the sweet spot of music players and why that amount of memory is used as the basis for the iPhone.

I DO know what the usage of the majority is. And I might add that it is no accident that my needs happen to fall in line with the products that Apple designs. I AM the majority. And many times I don't know what my needs are until I have used a product from Apple.

No, it is not because I drink the Kool-Aid. It is because Apple knows how to design a product that fits the overwhelming majority's needs; unlike other companies who design the majority's needs to fit their product.

I am not trying to tell you that your desire for unlimited music is dumb, you have the right to want whatever it is that you think you need.
But, it's just that this desire stems from the technolgy's shortcomings.

I'm sure you personally have said it before, but the people here on TreoCentral are a small slice of the many phone (gadget) users, numbering in the billions worldwide. Their needs do not constitute a majority. The members of TreoCentral do not see where the future is going because they are too enamored with specs. Specs do not reveal the usage of a phone.

I suppose I should step off my soap box now because this post is becoming overly analytical and perhaps inappropriate for this particular thread.

Now you can curse me for seemingly insulting TreoCentral users.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Some others. Apple have been offering 20 GB or 20+ GB iPods alongside lower capacity players since 2002 so there's obviously a market for devices with lots of storage and I guess this means plenty of people have big libraries.

620px-IPod_Models_Timeline.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipod
What this chart fails to indicate is the overwhelming popularity of the iPod nano, a player with 4GB of storage.

Of all the iPods sold, this level of storage has proven to be the most popular.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
What this chart fails to indicate is the overwhelming popularity of the iPod nano, a player with 4GB of storage.

Of all the iPods sold, this level of storage has proven to be the most popular.
Only b/c the 8gb nano is so new. 4gb was all you could get before. Everyone wanted the nano because of the size/form factor, but wanted more space.

I'd like to the see the numbers in a year: 8gb vs 4gb. I have a feeling 8gb will top the 4's and something will top the 8's if higher sizes are available (<-- key word)

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
I'm sure you personally have said it before, but the people here on TreoCentral are a small slice of the many phone (gadget) users, numbering in the billions worldwide. Their needs do not constitute a majority. The members of TreoCentral do not see where the future is going because they are too enamored with specs. .

yep.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I'm sure you personally have said it before, but the people here on TreoCentral are a small slice of the many phone (gadget) users, numbering in the billions worldwide. Their needs do not constitute a majority. The members of TreoCentral do not see where the future is going because they are too enamored with specs. Specs do not reveal the usage of a phone.
But that's kind of the point, isn't it?

Here were at Treocentral not the majority of users yet a significant piece of the market (at least the "high end" market) and users on here on trying to convince us of how the iPhone is supposed to compete with or replace our current devices.

But like I said in other posts: the iPhone is not in the same class as smartphones/ppcs/pdas/Treos etc. They're aiming at a different market (not the majority as the cellphone majority could never afford an iPod let alone an iPhone).

I'm glad you have at least come around and acknowledged this fact archie.

Seems like just the wrong place period to be having the debate since we constitute a different market with our different needs.

The "future" is whatever the market decides it to be, which usually means a range of devices from simple cell phones, to business orientated smartphones to highend consumer "converged" devices. Much like every other electronics market. Not exactly rocket science arch.

bloodycape77

May 27, 2006
Visit site
I was talking about one particular episode: like say that last episode of "Lost". Not TV shows in general.

Once again, my point is lost on forum members not reading what I write.

yeah I can watch the same episode 3 times in the same week and I am not talking about a show like Family Guy either but a drama like House, L World or Dark Angel.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73