Honestly, will the iPhone have enough storage for some?

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Did you know that you can generate playlist content in a random manner from iTunes?

Did you know that iTunes actually incorporates a Smart Shuffle randomizer to counteract this perceived un-randomness that users believe to be inherent with the iPod. It actually analyzes the random songs played and changes the likelihood of the user actually hearing the same songs, it does away with a sequential playback.

I use specific playlists where the music obviously isn't repeated.

But when I ask the iPod to shuffle everything, I get either the same artist, album, genre or song within a short period of time. It went through 5 of the same genre just the other day. And I have an even mix of everything on there. I just loaded more music on there, let's see if that helps.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I'm surprised too. They are making irrational excuses and trying to defend them with specs and numbers. Actual usage cannot be measured with numbers.

Or maybe it's just that you don't live with them, and don't really know what others may need for their own usage. You just assume by what you do that everyone else is the same.

Christinac130

Feb 28, 2005
Visit site
On the expansion card, I'd put videos, maybe more music, and some audiobooks.

And here's what you're missing in my case. Another reason I need all that music is so I DON'T have to keep syncing. I have much of what I want already on the iPod. Also videos take up more space than music. If I want videos on the iPhone, I'm then going to have to ration even more space.

I actually don't seriously use phones for music unlike others. Until the iPhone came into view as a chance to dump the iPod, that is.

This would be my problem with the iPhone. I want all my options in one place, that's why I went with the 8gb card in the first place. I don't want to have to keep going back to my PC and guessing at what mood I might be in for the next few days and then assemble the appropriate playlist to fit that possible mood. I want all my stuff within reach anywhere I am at any time...my music, books, audio books, movies and tv shows.

I do use my Treo for entertainment, I don't see the need to own an iPod. It was the reason I went with a converged device in the first place. Now granted, I don't have NEAR the music others that use the 60gb and 80gb iPods have. But, I do like to carry my favorite shows and movies around with me. And contrary to others, I do like to watch them repeatedly...that would be why they're my favorites...;)

Now...bash away :p

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
You're a good example of why we should be careful before assuming what others need or want in terms of storage. So is the person who showed me 7GB of music on his iPod, and that was before he loaded any videos. All the iPhone's space is blown right there, if he ever decides to use it. He said he was going to try it, but was going to try a Shuffle first(I don't know why not a Nano) to see if he can handle less space.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I have about that much in ripped and/or bought music. Why would that surprise you? Or maybe you're just not a huge music fan like I am.

Not sure how many GB in video, but that will also have to be taken into consideration.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
But, I do like to carry my favorite shows and movies around with me. And contrary to others, I do like to watch them repeatedly...that would be why they're my favorites...;)

Now...bash away :p

no reason to bash....but when do you get to watch movies during the day? and if on a weekend, why not watch them on a TV or laptop? i can't think of one person i know who does so. again, i'm probably in the minority.

this is why i love treocentral....it's not so much what one learns about Treos but what one learns about the consumer.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
I have about that much in ripped and/or bought music. Why would that surprise you? Or maybe you're just not a huge music fan like I am.

Not sure how many GB in video, but that will also have to be taken into consideration.

i love music and play percussion instruments. i own an esoteric stereo sytem. i also have an enormous cd collection. i too have a collection of music on iTunes. we have many videos in our home library and watch them on a 50" plasma.

my phone i speak on and respond to work emails. i sometimes check the news or sport scores. that's it. i know, i'm boring and not converged. oh well, my loss i suppose.

15gb....only on treocentral.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
15gb....what on earth? c'mon!
I have 12 GB in my iTunes library and an 8 GB Nano. Annoys me sometimes when I realise I haven't synced something I want to listen to.

People like to have all their music with them and lots of people have lots of music. That 12 GB doesn't even include all my CDs.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
i love music and play percussion instruments. i own an esoteric stereo sytem. i also have an enormous cd collection. i too have a collection of music on iTunes. we have many videos in our home library and watch them on a 50" plasma.

my phone i speak on and respond to work emails. i sometimes check the news or sport scores. that's it. i know, i'm boring and not converged. oh well, my loss i suppose.

15gb....only on treocentral.

Is it a Bang and Olufsen(probably misspelled that, LOL!)? Those are so cool, but I never got one because I thought I could find good components for less.

I barely use the Treo(or any other phone) for anything other than business also, BUT the iPhone is also an iPod. Steve Jobs said so :D . I was hoping I could use it for both iPod and phone. But I have found the larger capacity hard drive iPods are more for me because I'm only going to be adding more music and video. I just got a whole lot of music this week. And I'm not even done ripping all my favorites off my CDs.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site

you are correct. they have 100's of gb's in their itune libraries. that is a fact. and that must mean that they need 100's of gb's of storage space on their Treos so to have those 100's of gb's of music with them "at all times." they then go out and buy 100's and 100's $'s worth of Lion extended batteries to listen to the 100's of gb's of music that they carry with them at all times. they like to listen to music all the time. they really like music because they have 100's of gb's of music in their itune libraries.

good for them.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Those are the people the 80GB was made for, and now it looks like it's time for the 100GB, LOL!

I notice some of those people are using Lossless. That's a high quality format. You can increase your files sizes big time using that! I got a 24-25MB song once, that adds up. So I stuck with high quality MP3 and AAC, and even those can end up 10MB or more if the song is 7 min. long., which many are.

bloodycape77

May 27, 2006
Visit site
Those are the people the 80GB was made for, and now it looks like it's time for the 100GB, LOL!

I notice some of those people are using Lossless. That's a high quality format. You can increase your files sizes big time using that! I got a 24-25MB song once, that adds up. So I stuck with high quality MP3 and AAC, and even those can end up 10MB or more if the song is 7 min. long., which many are.

Archos right now has 100gig and 160gb players out on the market you can buy.

ls3mach

May 17, 2004
Visit site
I just checked, since my HDD crashed last year, my music server has just over 50GB of music. I used to have MUCH more than that, but time doesn't permit me to add to my collection as much as I would like.

To answer the question, 4GB or 8GB is plenty for me and casual listening. I ideally want to be able to carry ALL of my media with me wherever I go. With an iPod or similar MP3 player this is an option, since they have 80GB+ models. I will not be buying an iPhone as I don't use my phone as an MP3 player too much, but I want access to my stuff 24-7. I currently have ORB setup on my server, but the damn thing goes down too much. I assume due to me having more audio files than it really supports. I guess I need to look into some sort of streaming FTP or HTML setup. Anyone have any suggestions.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
you are correct. they have 100's of gb's in their itune libraries. that is a fact. and that must mean that they need 100's of gb's of storage space on their Treos so to have those 100's of gb's of music with them "at all times." they then go out and buy 100's and 100's $'s worth of Lion extended batteries to listen to the 100's of gb's of music that they carry with them at all times. they like to listen to music all the time. they really like music because they have 100's of gb's of music in their itune libraries.

good for them.
Either I didn't make the point clearly enough or you're deliberately misunderstanding. Having lots of music with you is about having lots of choice, and having your whole music collection with you means you can choose anything you want from your music collection. It's really very simple!

Perhaps you can predict in the morning what you're going to want to listen to on the journey home, but I can't :)

Christinac130

Feb 28, 2005
Visit site
Either I didn't make the point clearly enough or you're deliberately misunderstanding. Having lots of music with you is about having lots of choice, and having your whole music collection with you means you can choose anything you want from your music collection. It's really very simple!

Perhaps you can predict in the morning what you're going to want to listen to on the journey home, but I can't :)

That's the same point I was making...;)

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
That's the same point I was making...;)
Didn't mean to steal your thunder :) I originally posted to support those of you suggesting more is better when it comes to storage and kept it going because oalvarez reponded to one of my posts. I hope we can still be friends :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner