Honestly, will the iPhone have enough storage for some?

santas

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
please let me know how any of you could possibly listen to that many GB's of music on any device for short time periods (commuting, gym, car wash, domestic airline travel).....again, for recreational usage, 500mb-1gb is a ton!!!

I travel a lot. I don't do multiple devices, so the Treo is my only portable music player. Can I listen to more than 1 GB while travelling? Maybe not. The problem is that I don't know what I'm going to want to listen to after I get off the plane. More music means more choice. I've maxed out my 4 gb and use small files (96Kb Oggs).

I'll be getting an 8gb soon. I'll put movies on the 4gb card so I can have some other entertainment with me.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Again, this issue is easy enough to solve...
If you want or need your entire terabyte music collection on one device (or every single device), this product is not for you. I have been changing playlists to fit 1 and 2 gig cards since my first Treo. Having 8gb means not more music for me, but that I can double the bit rates. If I find 8gb isn't enough, I will be buying one of those bt disk drives with 20gb to use with my Nikon digital slr (through a wifi connection). It should work well with the iPhone, as well. Seriously, I can't imagine 50-60 songs not getting me through a week or so without changing...

I need 200. I need variety and 60 won't cut it. I don't want to carry an extra drive.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I travel a lot. I don't do multiple devices, so the Treo is my only portable music player. Can I listen to more than 1 GB while travelling? Maybe not. The problem is that I don't know what I'm going to want to listen to after I get off the plane. More music means more choice. I've maxed out my 4 gb and use small files (96Kb Oggs).

I'll be getting an 8gb soon. I'll put movies on the 4gb card so I can have some other entertainment with me.

This is why an expansion slot on the iPhone would be great!

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Many are talking about BT and WIFI-based HDD's, as if its a done deal that it will work. I am far less confident. Why would Apple want you to expand storage, when you could be buying the Iphone 2 with 16 GB in a year's time? Remember, this is a closed system. Apple will make it do what they want, and that is all it will do.

As a lesser point, constant WIFI or BT streaming will kill the battery in 1-2 hours straight. If you mean to transfer the music in one go, I am not even sure the device has a file browser, let alone network transfer.

Surur

Christinac130

Feb 28, 2005
Visit site
So, let me see if I get the logic here...

Instead of carrying a converged device (such as the Treo), you guys are going to go from carrying the iPhone and an iPod or an iPhone and some kind of added on hard drive? I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm just trying to understand the point of going from one device back to two...:confused:

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Perry, web browser <> file browser (although it could be used as one I guess). I am talking about being able to explore a the local file system and see all the system files for example, or to map a network drive as local storage. I believe on the MacOS platform is called Finder.

If the Iphone is as much as an appliance as I suspect I see no reason for Apple to include a file browser (just like PalmOS devices shipped without one for ages).

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
No problem. I wish the Iphone has been released already, so all this speculation could be put to rest. I suspect its going to be a pretty limited platform, but we will just have to wait and see.

Surur

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site

Instead of carrying a converged device (such as the Treo), you guys are going to go from carrying the iPhone and an iPod or an iPhone and some kind of added on hard drive? I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm just trying to understand the point of going from one device back to two...:confused:

others might have other examples: i wouldn't run or exercise with my treo because it's so darn big and heavy. i wouldn't listen to music flying across the country as it would zap the battery life of the device. would i do either with an iphone? nope. that's where the ipod/nano come in and as they're intended to.

vinman

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site

Not so much suggesting I will buy an external drive FOR the iPhone - only that I MAY use it for extra storage if needed. One plan is to use the iPhone to view images from my digital camera (@15-16 megs per image only using a RAW file, I need all the storage I can get - hence the desire for the wireless hd. Adding a JPEG subfile to view on another device will add another 2-3 megs). The thought that I can also store other media, such as books, articles, and video, makes it even more compelling.

Surur is right, though. Even though the Seagate interviewee seemed confident that the product should work with the iPhone, we won't know until it's here. The same holds true with the battery. I think even in a worst case scenario, 1-2 hours is a silly estimate, but using all the radios in the phone simultaneously will certainly drain the battery more quickly than anyone would like. Then again, I don't see myself, in particular, using this device any more than the 3-4 hours I spend on my 8125 per day - often with BT and WiFi on while actively surfing the net and/or talking on it. After just over a year of use, I can count on one hand the number of days it's given out before I was able to get it to the home charger. I have a car charger for just such occasions...

Phone Diva, I whole-heartedly agree that one of the biggest disappointments regarding the iPhone is it's lack of an expansion slot.

I don't know, I love music, but I'm definitely not as hard core as a lot of folks. I don't always listen to music when I walk my dogs - I like hearing them, and birds, and traffic. I don't always listen while working out. I'm a little paranoid listening while on my road bike (same traffic issues), but if I'm mountain biking alone, I like to listen then. I just like to listen when I'm in the mood to listen. I don't live in a place where I need to take mass transit, so I don't need it there. When I travel, it's usually with a companion, and if we aren't watching a movie on a laptop, we are either talking, or occasionally listening to music - or more often reading. Ever notice the people at the gym on the treadmill who are grimacing in pain while listening to mp3s and reading a book or magazine while sweating up a storm? That's NOT me! I can't imagine when they are done working out that they have any recollection of what they were listening to or what they read :crazy:

Anyway, the iPhone - IN MY ESTIMATION (sorry, I wanted to make sure to use the personalization disclaimer here ;) ), is going to be a simple evolution in converged devices - at least for me. It may not be all it's cracked up to be. It may not even be all that good. I've liked what little I've seen and read, and although there have been a few omissions that seem counterintuitive (lack of 3G and no media slot), I think it'll work for me. Bottom line - if it's not worth the price, I'll take it back to Cingular and get something else.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I want to see it in person too, for the screen alone! I was just wondering how it will replace carrying an iPod and so far it won't, at least for me.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
^ it shouldn't replace carrying an ipod but it should more than meet your music/video needs for those times that you need it to. i suppose that's my point. if all you do all day is listen to music and watch videos then you're right, it won't replace carrying an ipod, but then again, not much else will.

MacUser

Aug 23, 2004
Visit site
8000mb big enough for you?!

I have a quality 300 songs and a few audio books I like to keep on my iPod, so that will leave enough room for a couple movies which can easily be updated. 8 Gigs should do fine :)

My only concern is 3G speeds....not size.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
What about document storage? Contacts storage? On the iPhone, space will have to be delegated. All 8GB can't be for music, movies, and ebooks.

And Oalvarez, I'm trying to say I don't think it will meet MY particular needs. Loading 1-2GB playlist just doesn't work for me. I tried it. It'll have to be at least 3 or 4 GB. Which is half the space on the iPhone. On a phone, I really would prefer NOT to use tons of space for entertainment unless a lot of it's on an expansion card. Not only that, those who love to carry tons of music(yes there are some) may not like being limited. Nano users I think can deal with it, since they use limited space anyway.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
may i ask when it is during the day that you listen to 3-4gb worth of music?

i'm very impressed with some people's storage needs, all of a sudden. didn't know that so many had such large (greater than 1-2gb) and FULL expansion cards on their devices!!!

taken from Palm.com:
60MB persistent user storage, non-volatile flash Memory
miniSD card slot; up to 2GB card supported Expansion

so 8gb on a iPhone isn't enough but 2.60gb on a Treo is? what am i missing?

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
When out running errands, I like to take music with me. The iPhone is also an iPod, that's why I need more storage on it. It's a great chance to dump the iPod unless I'm on long trips. BUT since the iPod shuffles so badly, I need at least 3-4GB so I don't get the same thing over and over. When I loaded up 1-2GB playlists for the day, the same stuff kept popping up. Now, perhaps the iPhone will fix the shuffling issue, then I'd be OK with 2GB.

What you're missing is:
1. I barely use the Treo for music, usually for business. Space is taken up by apps, contacts, etc. When it comes to phones, I need phone first, then PDA. Then I can worry about music. Treo 650 also had a headeset jack problem which makes me wary of trying to use even the 750 for music! Who knows if they fixed that or not? Actually the only phone I'd really consider using for music is the w810i. Although storage is lacking on it too.

2. I'm one who still likes seperate music players due to versatility of storage. Once you get the option of 30-80GB, how can you go back to less than 8GB? If I can load even 15GB of music and arrange all my playlists beforehand, I won't need to sync anything for a while!

No, 8GB(and you know it will be formatted for less) MAY not be enough for me at this point, not for music and video at least. If the iPhone accepts apps, document storage, etc., it's perfect!

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
may i ask when it is during the day that you listen to 3-4gb worth of music?

i'm very impressed with some people's storage needs, all of a sudden. didn't know that so many had such large (greater than 1-2gb) and FULL expansion cards on their devices!!!

taken from Palm.com:
60MB persistent user storage, non-volatile flash Memory
miniSD card slot; up to 2GB card supported Expansion

so 8gb on a iPhone isn't enough but 2.60gb on a Treo is? what am i missing?

Thats 2.06. Anyway, remember, the Iphone is not meant to replace the Treo, as alone its not as good a Smartphone as a Treo. Its meant to replace a Treo and an Ipod, and it seems a sub-par video Ipod replacement, due to the low storage.

Surur

Iceman6

Jun 5, 2003
Visit site
i agree with surer. The iPhone has the storage of an iPod nano, and a perfect screen for a video iPod. The storage doesn't match up with the rest of the iPhone's capabilities.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
Thats 2.06. Anyway, remember, the Iphone is not meant to replace the Treo, as alone its not as good a Smartphone as a Treo. Its meant to replace a Treo and an Ipod, and it seems a sub-par video Ipod replacement, due to the low storage.

Surur

thanks on the correction. i simply find it interesting that so many people's storage needs have increased so dramatically from what they currently have on their treos. that's what i find interesting. i look at the iphone as another device offering to choose from, not just as a replacement for my current phone/ipod. but hey, that's just me.

regards

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner