Many are talking about BT and WIFI-based HDD's, as if its a done deal that it will work. I am far less confident. Why would Apple want you to expand storage, when you could be buying the Iphone 2 with 16 GB in a year's time? Remember, this is a closed system. Apple will make it do what they want, and that is all it will do.

As a lesser point, constant WIFI or BT streaming will kill the battery in 1-2 hours straight. If you mean to transfer the music in one go, I am not even sure the device has a file browser, let alone network transfer.

Surur
    03-14-2007 06:05 AM
    So, let me see if I get the logic here...

Instead of carrying a converged device (such as the Treo), you guys are going to go from carrying the iPhone and an iPod or an iPhone and some kind of added on hard drive? I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm just trying to understand the point of going from one device back to two...
    03-14-2007 07:34 AM
    Perry, web browser <> file browser (although it could be used as one I guess). I am talking about being able to explore a the local file system and see all the system files for example, or to map a network drive as local storage. I believe on the MacOS platform is called Finder.

If the Iphone is as much as an appliance as I suspect I see no reason for Apple to include a file browser (just like PalmOS devices shipped without one for ages).

Surur
    03-14-2007 07:34 AM
    No problem. I wish the Iphone has been released already, so all this speculation could be put to rest. I suspect its going to be a pretty limited platform, but we will just have to wait and see.

Surur
    03-14-2007 07:47 AM

Instead of carrying a converged device (such as the Treo), you guys are going to go from carrying the iPhone and an iPod or an iPhone and some kind of added on hard drive? I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm just trying to understand the point of going from one device back to two...
    others might have other examples: i wouldn't run or exercise with my treo because it's so darn big and heavy. i wouldn't listen to music flying across the country as it would zap the battery life of the device. would i do either with an iphone? nope. that's where the ipod/nano come in and as they're intended to.
    03-14-2007 08:07 AM

Not so much suggesting I will buy an external drive FOR the iPhone - only that I MAY use it for extra storage if needed. One plan is to use the iPhone to view images from my digital camera (@15-16 megs per image only using a RAW file, I need all the storage I can get - hence the desire for the wireless hd. Adding a JPEG subfile to view on another device will add another 2-3 megs). The thought that I can also store other media, such as books, articles, and video, makes it even more compelling.

Surur is right, though. Even though the Seagate interviewee seemed confident that the product should work with the iPhone, we won't know until it's here. The same holds true with the battery. I think even in a worst case scenario, 1-2 hours is a silly estimate, but using all the radios in the phone simultaneously will certainly drain the battery more quickly than anyone would like. Then again, I don't see myself, in particular, using this device any more than the 3-4 hours I spend on my 8125 per day - often with BT and WiFi on while actively surfing the net and/or talking on it. After just over a year of use, I can count on one hand the number of days it's given out before I was able to get it to the home charger. I have a car charger for just such occasions...

Phone Diva, I whole-heartedly agree that one of the biggest disappointments regarding the iPhone is it's lack of an expansion slot.

I don't know, I love music, but I'm definitely not as hard core as a lot of folks. I don't always listen to music when I walk my dogs - I like hearing them, and birds, and traffic. I don't always listen while working out. I'm a little paranoid listening while on my road bike (same traffic issues), but if I'm mountain biking alone, I like to listen then. I just like to listen when I'm in the mood to listen. I don't live in a place where I need to take mass transit, so I don't need it there. When I travel, it's usually with a companion, and if we aren't watching a movie on a laptop, we are either talking, or occasionally listening to music - or more often reading. Ever notice the people at the gym on the treadmill who are grimacing in pain while listening to mp3s and reading a book or magazine while sweating up a storm? That's NOT me! I can't imagine when they are done working out that they have any recollection of what they were listening to or what they read :crazy:

Anyway, the iPhone - IN MY ESTIMATION (sorry, I wanted to make sure to use the personalization disclaimer here ), is going to be a simple evolution in converged devices - at least for me. It may not be all it's cracked up to be. It may not even be all that good. I've liked what little I've seen and read, and although there have been a few omissions that seem counterintuitive (lack of 3G and no media slot), I think it'll work for me. Bottom line - if it's not worth the price, I'll take it back to Cingular and get something else.
    03-14-2007 08:35 AM
    I want to see it in person too, for the screen alone! I was just wondering how it will replace carrying an iPod and so far it won't, at least for me.
    03-14-2007 09:30 AM
    ^ it shouldn't replace carrying an ipod but it should more than meet your music/video needs for those times that you need it to. i suppose that's my point. if all you do all day is listen to music and watch videos then you're right, it won't replace carrying an ipod, but then again, not much else will.
    03-14-2007 06:36 PM
    I have a quality 300 songs and a few audio books I like to keep on my iPod, so that will leave enough room for a couple movies which can easily be updated. 8 Gigs should do fine

My only concern is 3G speeds....not size.
    03-14-2007 10:05 PM
    What about document storage? Contacts storage? On the iPhone, space will have to be delegated. All 8GB can't be for music, movies, and ebooks.

And Oalvarez, I'm trying to say I don't think it will meet MY particular needs. Loading 1-2GB playlist just doesn't work for me. I tried it. It'll have to be at least 3 or 4 GB. Which is half the space on the iPhone. On a phone, I really would prefer NOT to use tons of space for entertainment unless a lot of it's on an expansion card. Not only that, those who love to carry tons of music(yes there are some) may not like being limited. Nano users I think can deal with it, since they use limited space anyway.
    03-15-2007 03:08 AM
    may i ask when it is during the day that you listen to 3-4gb worth of music?

i'm very impressed with some people's storage needs, all of a sudden. didn't know that so many had such large (greater than 1-2gb) and FULL expansion cards on their devices!!!

taken from Palm.com:
    60MB persistent user storage, non-volatile flash Memory
    miniSD card slot; up to 2GB card supported Expansion

so 8gb on a iPhone isn't enough but 2.60gb on a Treo is? what am i missing?
    03-15-2007 08:01 AM
    When out running errands, I like to take music with me. The iPhone is also an iPod, that's why I need more storage on it. It's a great chance to dump the iPod unless I'm on long trips. BUT since the iPod shuffles so badly, I need at least 3-4GB so I don't get the same thing over and over. When I loaded up 1-2GB playlists for the day, the same stuff kept popping up. Now, perhaps the iPhone will fix the shuffling issue, then I'd be OK with 2GB.

What you're missing is:
    1. I barely use the Treo for music, usually for business. Space is taken up by apps, contacts, etc. When it comes to phones, I need phone first, then PDA. Then I can worry about music. Treo 650 also had a headeset jack problem which makes me wary of trying to use even the 750 for music! Who knows if they fixed that or not? Actually the only phone I'd really consider using for music is the w810i. Although storage is lacking on it too.

2. I'm one who still likes seperate music players due to versatility of storage. Once you get the option of 30-80GB, how can you go back to less than 8GB? If I can load even 15GB of music and arrange all my playlists beforehand, I won't need to sync anything for a while!

No, 8GB(and you know it will be formatted for less) MAY not be enough for me at this point, not for music and video at least. If the iPhone accepts apps, document storage, etc., it's perfect!
    03-15-2007 09:06 AM

i'm very impressed with some people's storage needs, all of a sudden. didn't know that so many had such large (greater than 1-2gb) and FULL expansion cards on their devices!!!

taken from Palm.com:

Thats 2.06. Anyway, remember, the Iphone is not meant to replace the Treo, as alone its not as good a Smartphone as a Treo. Its meant to replace a Treo and an Ipod, and it seems a sub-par video Ipod replacement, due to the low storage.

Surur
    03-15-2007 10:22 AM
    i agree with surer. The iPhone has the storage of an iPod nano, and a perfect screen for a video iPod. The storage doesn't match up with the rest of the iPhone's capabilities.
    03-15-2007 11:21 AM
    Thats 2.06. Anyway, remember, the Iphone is not meant to replace the Treo, as alone its not as good a Smartphone as a Treo. Its meant to replace a Treo and an Ipod, and it seems a sub-par video Ipod replacement, due to the low storage.

Surur
    thanks on the correction. i simply find it interesting that so many people's storage needs have increased so dramatically from what they currently have on their treos. that's what i find interesting. i look at the iphone as another device offering to choose from, not just as a replacement for my current phone/ipod. but hey, that's just me.

regards
    03-15-2007 03:59 PM
    thanks on the correction. i simply find it interesting that so many people's storage needs have increased so dramatically from what they currently have on their treos. that's what i find interesting. i look at the iphone as another device offering to choose from, not just as a replacement for my current phone/ipod. but hey, that's just me.

regards
    Not converged? Remember that Jobs keynote slide, with the web-tablet, phone and video Ipod in one? The intention at least is to do everything well, but of course this is usually not possible, and converged usually means compromise.

Surur
    03-15-2007 04:34 PM
    Phone Diva, what iPod are you using that repeats the same songs. I have never had that happen, unless I reset the playlist and then hit "shuffle songs" again. I am not familiar with iPod shuffles/nanos though...
    I happen to take Mass transit mostly everywhere, and I always have my 20GB with me. However, I rarley get through more than 40-70 songs in a day.
    I had another question too (it may be a dumb question) , isn't WiFi faster than 3G?
    03-15-2007 04:52 PM
    in earnest, never watched the keynote. as for being converged, i suppose i'm just old fashioned and lazy....i use my ipod for music and my phone/pda as a phone and on-the-go email/browsing device, and my laptop/pc for more real computing needs. i hear ya though.
    03-15-2007 05:04 PM
    Phone Diva, what iPod are you using that repeats the same songs. I have never had that happen, unless I reset the playlist and then hit "shuffle songs" again. I am not familiar with iPod shuffles/nanos though...
    I happen to take Mass transit mostly everywhere, and I always have my 20GB with me. However, I rarley get through more than 40-70 songs in a day.
    I had another question too (it may be a dumb question) , isn't WiFi faster than 3G?
    I just got a used 20GB. It doesn't seem to have the shuffling problem. I think only 1 or 2 songs showed up again in 3 hrs., and I have 1.7GB loaded. I had used the Shuffle, it didn't "shuffle". I dumped it. Also the 5.5 gen. has some problems shuffling thoroughly too. I'll just have to add more music to trick the machine, but that option obviously did not work on the Shuffle because of very low storage. Looks like older iPods may be better at shuffling.
    03-16-2007 12:06 PM
    in earnest, never watched the keynote. as for being converged, i suppose i'm just old fashioned and lazy....i use my ipod for music and my phone/pda as a phone and on-the-go email/browsing device, and my laptop/pc for more real computing needs. i hear ya though.
    Most of the time, I do too. But the chance to carry an iPod/ phone device is tempting. However it looks like a no-go for me, so far. I'd either drain the battery or get frustrated with storage.

Like I said before, I never really used the Treo for music. The storage is used for stuff I need. Music is entertainment.

Boy are we spoiled these days! I remember when we had to listen to every boring thing while on the bus, train, exercising or while running errands! The Walkman changed everything!
    03-16-2007 12:14 PM

taken from Palm.com:

I don't think people's storage needs have changed "all of a sudden". Even though Palm states the maximum SD support is 2gb, a lot of us have the 4gb and 8gb cards working in our Treos. The other difference is the ability to add more storage. The iPhone will come with a maximum of 8gb, where the Treo is virtually unlimited because you can switch between as many cards as you'd like.
    03-16-2007 03:24 PM
    I just looked at my iPod and it looks like I've neared the 7GB mark and I still have a lot more music to put on it. I couldn't even use the 8GB at this point! iPhone needs to have an expansion slot IMO. Can't give up the iPod just yet.
    Seriously, what would you put in this expansion slot if it had one. Is there a new affordable 9GB card out that I don't know about?

Yeah I know the iPhone is obviously a phone first, but since it's also an all-in-one video and audio device, I wouldn't have to carry the iPod along if the iPhone had more storage. But that's just me. Maybe the storage is enough for most people. But so many still use the 30/60/80 iPods, makes me wonder how many are going to convert to the iPhone when the storage is nowhere near the same. Nano users already are used to less space, but what about the hard drive users? What do you think?
    It 's 8GBs. That's 5 and a half days of non-stop, non-repeated music! Most people sync their phones up at least every week, allowing you to get new music from iTunes if you want it.

This isn't a problem in the real world; except for those that like to refer to technical specs and numbers, ignoring how the phone is in actual use. And even at that, I ask again, what phone gives you more storage than this for your music?
    03-22-2007 04:16 PM
    The one problem with iPod playlists: you may eventually get sick of listening to the same thing. iPods also don't shuffle very well, I've noticed. I've created 2GB playlists for exactly the same reason you all mentioned, and it has to be rearranged often because I keep getting the same songs popping up. 3 or 4GB playlists would help stop that, I'm guessing. But that's a lot of space on a 4 or even 8GB phone, you might need it for something else.
    Did you know that you can generate playlist content in a random manner from iTunes?

Did you know that iTunes actually incorporates a Smart Shuffle randomizer to counteract this perceived un-randomness that users believe to be inherent with the iPod. It actually analyzes the random songs played and changes the likelihood of the user actually hearing the same songs, it does away with a sequential playback.
    03-22-2007 04:17 PM
    without knowing the final details, i plan to create a dedicated playlist (500mb-1gb??) specifically for the iphone. that should more than suffice for my on-the-go needs.
    Ahhh, rational thinking and a logical solution.
    03-22-2007 04:20 PM
    That's exactly why I'm not all that excited about it...yet . The iPhone is suppose to eliminate the need to carry multiple devices. I have an 8gb card in the Treo, so I'll wait until Apple makes something that blows the Treo away. The last thing I want to do is go backwards by carrying more than one device again...
    Wait, 8GBs is good for the Treo but not the iPhone... ?
    03-22-2007 04:20 PM
107 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD