I just saw an iPhone commercial!

Insp_Gadget

Nov 13, 2000
Visit site
One thing I noticed about the commercial is that they never actually put the name "iPhone" in the commercial. Apple doesn't ever say what the phone is called.

I suppose when they were making the commercial they wanted to avoid problems with Cisco.

yeah yeah

Aug 18, 2003
Visit site
apple and cisco already settled on that case. they both will share the name, and cisco is making apple use their technology. they probably aint saying the name yet cause they're still building hype. it like those "it's coming" type commercials.

Dunc

Jun 9, 2002
www.dunc-it.com
It was a good commercial - didn't know what it was until the end, peaked and held my attention. When it finally appeared I was like 'Oh Yeah!'

TxDot

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
I saw the commercial last night as well. I was surprised to see it.

I think Apple is going to find that breaking into the phone market is much more difficult than the mp3 player market. People rely on their phone for business and when it doesn't work as they expect they get real nasty real quick. If their mp3 player quicks working they may get mad about it but for most folks it isn't going to cause them to lose a deal or some other situation where money is involved.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
This is exactly why Apple needs to break into the market.

The iPhone isn't really optimized for serious business, so far.
It will all depend on what apps are included in the final release. But battery life will also be a factor. For those who leave the phone on all day to pull email and other stuff, will the iPhone hold up?

json

Feb 11, 2006
Visit site
I think apple is gonna have a hard time with battery power being use up to quickly thanks to their big bright screen with constantly running tilt sensors. I don't think all those sidekickers who left their affordable tmobile plans for their their purty new iphone are gonna want to part with their phone when the battery acts up.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
the thread is already off topic so what the hec; Treo's batteries don't "act up?" i'll show you countless threads on those who immediately need to buy larger aftermarket batteries or even some who need to carry multiple batteries to get them by.

the device should be out soon, we'll all have a better idea then.

at least the commercials are somewhat creative.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
But the iPhone will have a battery like the iPod, non-user replacable, won't it? That may not go over well for those who need power all day. If the battery runs down from usage under 8 hrs., not good. And some people need 12!

What it says on Apple's site: Battery Up to 5 hours Talk / Video / Browsing YIKES!!
I probably won't use video, but does that mean I can eek out more than 5 hrs.?

daThomas

Feb 4, 2004
AskTheCouch.com
But the iPhone will have a battery like the iPod, non-user replacable, won't it? That may not go over well for those who need power all day. If the battery runs down from usage under 8 hrs., not good. And some people need 12!

What it says on Apple's site: Battery Up to 5 hours Talk / Video / Browsing YIKES!!
I probably won't use video, but does that mean I can eek out more than 5 hrs.?

You are right. A non-replaceable battery will kill the iPhone.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
They had a good commercial (Hello?) on during Idol tonight.
The ad was much more appropriate for the Oscars, It was an ad that appeared as actual Acdademy Awards content. It was just like the tributes that they assemble. Pulling clips from past movies that have earned the praise of the Academy.

And then Apple also pulled from the past marketing ideas for Apple that have earned them praise, like "Hello" for the original Macintosh.

Put the 2 together and you get a product positioned among the elite. This is the first step of a brilliant marketing campaign. Look for it to continue with another similar release bridging the second phase. The bridge will probably have a clip from the classic Seinfeld "Hello?. Guy: Hi, would you be interested in switching to TMI long distance service?" And also Maxwell Smart, of "Get Smart" fame, answering his shoe phone.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Do you say this from the standpoint that Apple will do a better job or from the standpoint that they can potentially make a boatload of money?
Primarily because Apple will be able to produce a phone that actually works the way I want it to... consistently. But also because they will be able to make money. They know they can build a phone that people will want and will be willing to pay for it. That is why they are entering the market.