I just saw an iPhone commercial!

DaddyMac#WN

Nov 4, 2006
Visit site
Surur and Archie, may I suggest Handbags at Dawn?

As I posted in another thread

I am getting realy bored with reading the back and forth between Surur and his Apple bashing compatriots trying to beat up on Archie, just as I'm getting bored with Archie feeling the need to defend all things Apple.

As my screen name implies, I am a big fan of all things Mac, but I have been a Palm user since the first Palm Pilot and Palm III. My main leaning towards these platforms, and products has always been their elegant design and user interface, and most of all the fact that they have historically played well together (something that has been less the case in recent years, but has been ameliorated by the advent of Missing Sync by Markspace)

I am probably a more than average techy gadget buyer, but for me the big draw of Apple, especially since the birth of the iPod, is a seamless experience. I like gadgets and technology as much, if not more than, anyone, but I don't want to go through learning 17 steps to do anything where 1 click can do it all. I don't want to have to learn how to do anything, I'd rather it was intuitive, and I could simply deduce it.

Is the sound quality of digital audio as good as the very expensive high end audiophile setups I have owned in the past? Probably not, but I don't really care. I like the fact that I can very simply carry all (or most, or even some) of my music around with me in a format that is easy to access, and easy to maintain and update. I don't listen to my iPod as much as I did because I'm realy busy, and I'm worried that I might miss a call. If the iPhone means I can listen to my music, or an audiobook, and not miss a call, all in one device, great, sign me up.

I have never used my Treo 600, Treo 650, or Treo 680 for music. Could I have? I guess I could, but I never got around to doing all the stuff that that would involve. I just plug in my iPod and I'm good to go. The iPhone will do that and sync my contact info etc seamlessly. This is something Palm hasn't managed in some time (mixed up or double entered contact info, or worse contacts that have disappeared into the digital ether after many syncs)
Will the iPhone be perfect? Probably not, but I don't know as I haven't used one yet (have you Surur or Archie, or Oalvarez, or anyone?). But from my experience with Apple so far, it will be pretty damn close.

I think the reason most of us were drawn to Palm was that they had a simple user interface, and cool products. Palm has become the tech equivalent of "Fat, Stodgy, and Lazy". Apple has continued to innovate and move forward. They did this by controling all the parts of the equation, and dropping the parts that weren't moving them forward (transition to OS X, move to Intel, shutdown of clones etc). Palm dropped the ball by gripping on to the same outdated OS for grim death, rather than innovating their way out of that same grim death.

I hope Palm can get their act together, and do something special, just as I hope England can win a World Cup again. I just won't cry into my beer when they don't. Until then........ Roll On June 11th

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
Why not just link the other thread??

Anyway, its funny how you assume the iPhone will be a "seamless" experience. Could SOMEONE use the phone for 5 seconds first?????

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
As I posted in another thread

Will the iPhone be perfect? Probably not, but I don't know as I haven't used one yet (have you Surur or Archie, or Oalvarez, or anyone?). But from my experience with Apple so far, it will be pretty damn close.

i haven't, and i also haven't bashed or whole-heartedly promoted the iphone. my intention is to get one. if it works for me, i'll keep it. if it doesn't, it goes back, just like all of my Treos in the past have.

you must have me confused for someone else.

by the way, everything you wrote has been previously written.

regards

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Anyway, its funny how you assume the iPhone will be a "seamless" experience.
He said that the syncing would be seamless, and specifically mentions music and contacts. Given that the iPod does (by any reasonable definition of the term) give seamless syncing, it would very surprising if the iPhone didn't too.

Could SOMEONE use the phone for 5 seconds first?????
I agree with that general sentiment, but I do think it's ok to speculate just a little as to what we might reasonably expect :)

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
i haven't, and i also haven't bashed or whole-heartedly promoted the iphone.

I guess he means we should stop discussing it all together. Where's the fun in that? Can we not talk about the merits or not of the Treo 755, WM6, or the latest blackberry until we hold it in our hand? How boring would that be?

Surur

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
He said that the syncing would be seamless, and specifically mentions music and contacts. Given that the iPod does (by any reasonable definition of the term) give seamless syncing, it would very surprising if the iPhone didn't too.

I agree with that general sentiment, but I do think it's ok to speculate just a little as to what we might reasonably expect :)

Well, I have NEVER had a problem with Activesync, but all I hear about is how much it sucks. And I couldn't even tell you how many WM phones I've had. I'm not comparing one to another, like I said I'll wait till I try the iphone myself, but to assume things about a brand new 1st-gen device AND a 1st-gen OS is a bit premature. (I say 1st-gen OS because this is the first mobile OSX version, even though they claim its the same its obviously trimmed down considerably)

But he has no right to complain about people assuming, when he himself is assuming things about the iPhone. I do think it will sync seamlessly with MAC, but what about PC/Outlook/Exchange? I can come up with tons of questions, but what's the point if no one can answer them....:eek:

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Fair enough. I can't really argue with the wait-and-see approach. I've argued for it a couple of time myself in this forum and ultimately of course we won't know for sure until we try.

Btw, I've only had three PPC/WM devices and I only used the first two with Windows (I'd moved to Macs by the third). With those two I had *lots* of ActiveSync problems. Never mind first gen, this was AS 3.x!

Certs

Mar 13, 2005
www.myspace.com
True enough, but speculation combined with Archie/Surur/Apple fanboys/Anti-apple banter gets me through my workday... :)

Thats why I say seamless to one person may be far from it for another. Wait and see indeed...

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
The iPhone commercials, of which I am no longer seeing. Wonder why?

You haven't seen this one then? :evil:

cmdpreviewinwebbrowseryp1.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Dummie...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU1237809

Surur

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
You should have put the apostrophe in then I'd never have noticed :)

I actually debated that, but thought it would look too formal.

Anyway, for the record, this is just an attempt to wind Archie up. Many people who buy the IPhone wont be dummies, my wife thinks its lovely and wants one, and I'm sure it will be very successful, sell in the millions and when the form factor differentiates take on the more established business smartphone market. Nokia, HTC, Sony Ericsson etc still have a few years to survive though.

Surur

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2