I just saw an iPhone commercial!

MarkEagle

Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
Just last week Morgan Stanley (financial institution) issued a report saying that:
"Palm's Treo phones may be at the greatest risk of all. Beyond sharing features and prices, Palm is also in the unfortunate position of having a disproportionately large number of Apple enthusiasts in its midst. Treo owners are twice as likely to own an iPod or Mac, according to a Morgan Stanley survey, and are much more likely to consider iPhones regardless of their existing Apple product ownership."
That's nothing more than brand loyalty. Some people will see the Apple logo and nothing else will matter.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
yes, because at least for those who need more power, they just need to pop in another battery into the 680.
Agreed, one can do that. However, my comment was on the claims. I doubt that the iPhone will miss its claims by anywhere near the margins that the 680 did. Opinion.

If I throw in a Seidio extended life battery, will anyone make me an offer for my unused 680?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
And this is to say nothing of the attractiveness and ease of use brought about with Apple's iPhone user interface.

I'm sure no-one can be as devoted a fan as you :bow:

Gotten much over that persecution complex yet?

Surur

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
The iPod and friends miss their battery life claim all the time. Or rather, they "forget" to mention the high end is with almost no backlight usage and no changing through the menu. How many people don't change something and thus have the backlight on temporarily while listening?

If your(whmurray) 680 is unlocked and colored, I'm sure someone will want it since ATT hijacked the entire line!

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I'm sure no-one can be as devoted a fan as you :bow:

Gotten much over that persecution complex yet?

Surur

I wonder if he has a test unit or has access to one. Or is he just VERY optimistic about it? Some his claims, well you really need to use the phone to make them, IMO.

Ease of use may be one. I can never determine true ease of use just by watching someone else.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
To make matters worse (for other companies such as Palm that is), no current phone designer has the same kind of devoted fan base as Apple (unless you factor in the ferociousness of "surur" and "Malatesta" of TreoCentral fame :) ).
Point of clarification: I stopped using my Palm 650 about 1 year ago and stopped using my 700wx about 6 weeks ago, having switched to a Moto Q. I also own a ppc-6700.

Surur also owns many devices and does not use Palm either. I think we're both tech-enthusiasts with very little company or product devotion. I'd buy a linux phone tomorrow if it did what I needed.

In that sense we are the norm for technology, not Mac users who go just on brand loyalty alone or are locked into Mac interoperability. Having said that Mac computer users still command a tiny percent of the market and iPod users can actually live independently of the Mac-system (even I own a nano).

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Point of clarification: I stopped using my Palm 650 about 1 year ago and stopped using my 700wx about 6 weeks ago, having switched to a Moto Q. I also own a ppc-6700.

Surur also owns many devices and does not use Palm either. I think we're both tech-enthusiasts with very little company or product devotion. I'd buy a linux phone tomorrow if it did what I needed.

In that sense we are the norm for technology, not Mac users who go just on brand loyalty alone or are locked into Mac interoperability. Having said that Mac computer users still command a tiny percent of the market and iPod users can actually live independently of the Mac-system (even I own a nano).

I have had four Handspring devices since my last Nokia (GSM) or my last Motorola (Sprint). My last Palm was a Palm Vx. Since then Palm has reorganized at least three times, more depending on how one counts. Any brand loyalty that I might have had was to Handspring, Treo, or POS.

It is kind of sad that all of the enthusiasm among the TC community (save for Perry, who believes in the Treo 900) is for the iPhone. There are millions of people who will try one of anything with the Apple brand and no one left with any loyalty to "Palm" (whoever that is this week). Silly season is permanently over. Perry, where are you?

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I bought a 30 GB Ipod video for my wife this Christmas, and she loves it, uses it every day, but never syncs it at all. If the IPhone is the coolest phone in the world I will buy it for her too. I myself will need stronger tools however.

Surur

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
That's nothing more than brand loyalty. Some people will see the Apple logo and nothing else will matter.
Maybe... but your missing the point. It's a large, unseen and incorrectly calculated/measured percentage that will be taken away... a percentage of dedicated Apple loyalists that Palm took for granted and will no longer have.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
The iPod and friends miss their battery life claim all the time. Or rather, they "forget" to mention the high end is with almost no backlight usage and no changing through the menu. How many people don't change something and thus have the backlight on temporarily while listening?
What? Apple's estimate for the 80GB iPod with video were and hour and a half shy of actual, real-life battery life! How is that missing their claim?

In regards to Apple's use of backlighting, it goes off after about 10 seconds of no use but can be adjusted to other lengths of time.

specimen38

Sep 29, 2004
Visit site

Speaking of loyalty and what matters. It was unfortunate, as Palm all but, abandoned Macusers the past 4-5 years with less than modest upgrades to the Palm Desktop on MacOS X. Palm was not loyal to Mac community. I think it's an over simplification to say that it is all brand loyalty. Thoughts?

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site

Ahh. I kind of suspected but I mostly just used your names to add a bit of humor to the situation given its a Treo forum (read: no Palm loyalists).

In that sense we are the norm for technology, not Mac users who go just on brand loyalty alone or are locked into Mac interoperability.
I would like to add that as a Mac user I am not locked into anything. I have more freedom than any Windows user or even Linux user. This goes for just about anything out there: web browsers (more than nine professionally developed browsers available for Mac OS X), music formats (AAC, MP3, VBR, WAV, AIFF CD audio, Apple Lossless, Ogg Vorbis, flac, MPEG4, h.264 and even bring in WMA files into iTunes), DRM freedoms (when DRM is used, Apple's Fairplay is more liberal than anything else available)... Photoshop plug-ins :D .

OK everything except for games. For that a person would have to be running Parallels, or some such alternative, on their Mac.

On that note, I would like to add that as a Mac user I can run Linux, Unix, SuSE, WINE... I could even run various flavors of the Windows OSes itself... if I wanted to; giving me far more choices than what you have available.

detective

Apr 3, 2006
Visit site
Speaking of loyalty and what matters. It was unfortunate, as Palm all but, abandoned Macusers the past 4-5 years with less than modest upgrades to the Palm Desktop on MacOS X. Palm was not loyal to Mac community. I think it's an over simplification to say that it is all brand loyalty. Thoughts?
This is one of the many things that PalmSource failed to deliver to Palm after the hardware and software sides were spun into separate companies.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
What? Apple's estimate for the 80GB iPod with video were and hour and a half shy of actual, real-life battery life! How is that missing their claim?

In regards to Apple's use of backlighting, it goes off after about 10 seconds of no use but can be adjusted to other lengths of time.

I have not had one iPod of any type go around 12 or more hrs. on audio like they claim. More like 7 at the most.

Video I haven't tried yet. I also don't have an 80, so can't comment on that either.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I bought a 30 GB Ipod video for my wife this Christmas, and she loves it, uses it every day, but never syncs it at all. If the IPhone is the coolest phone in the world I will buy it for her too. I myself will need stronger tools however.

Surur

Can she get 12 hrs. of straight audio?

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I would like to add that as a Mac user I am not locked into anything. I have more freedom than any Windows user or even Linux user. This goes for just about anything out there: web browsers (more than nine professionally developed browsers available for Mac OS X), music formats (AAC, MP3, VBR, WAV, AIFF CD audio, Apple Lossless, Ogg Vorbis, flac, MPEG4, h.264 and even bring in WMA files into iTunes), DRM freedoms (when DRM is used, Apple's Fairplay is more liberal than anything else available)... Photoshop plug-ins :D .

You can use WMA in iTunes on OS X??? But you will never be able to transfer them to the iPod, right?

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
It is kind of sad that all of the enthusiasm among the TC community (save for Perry, who believes in the Treo 900) is for the iPhone. There are millions of people who will try one of anything with the Apple brand and no one left with any loyalty to "Palm" (whoever that is this week). Silly season is permanently over. Perry, where are you?

Not just the iPhone, but many other models as well. Blackjack, Q and 8525 come to mind.

surur

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Can she get 12 hrs. of straight audio?

Who really has 12 straight hours to listen to music? She just pops it into the speaker dock by the bedside at night, and then its fully charged the next morning. If she doesn't it will run out of juice somewhere along the line. Normal people dont really pay much attention to their electronics ;)

Surur

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2