I just saw an iPhone commercial!

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
The iPhone isn't really optimized for serious business, so far.
Have you heard of CalDAV and Apple's iCal Server solution that blows Exchange out of the water?

You will!

But battery life will also be a factor. For those who leave the phone on all day to pull email and other stuff, will the iPhone hold up?
Well, since Apple is targeting the latest Treo's, the iPhone's battery performance will be just as good or better in some cases.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
I think apple is gonna have a hard time with battery power being use up to quickly thanks to their big bright screen with constantly running tilt sensors. I don't think all those sidekickers who left their affordable tmobile plans for their their purty new iphone are gonna want to part with their phone when the battery acts up.
What about all the Treo users that leave their Treos for the new iPhone. You left that one out and it will make up a far greater percentage.

I don't even want to address the issue of Apple's superior power management that people here at TreoCentral are so inclined to ignore.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
But the iPhone will have a battery like the iPod, non-user replacable, won't it? That may not go over well for those who need power all day. If the battery runs down from usage under 8 hrs., not good. And some people need 12!

What it says on Apple's site: Battery Up to 5 hours Talk / Video / Browsing YIKES!!
I probably won't use video, but does that mean I can eek out more than 5 hrs.?
You are right. A non-replaceable battery will kill the iPhone.
Oh brother! That is a rather ill-informed, doom-laden prognostication.

And phone diva, 8-12 hours? What phone has that much battery power?

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
The iPhone isn't really optimized for serious business, so far.
It will all depend on what apps are included in the final release. But battery life will also be a factor. For those who leave the phone on all day to pull email and other stuff, will the iPhone hold up?
Good question. Can it be worse than the Treo 680?

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
Wait, which is it? "A non-replaceable battery will kill the iPhone" or "Battery life is the big limitation" for the iPhone.

I was replying to the former.

Do you also want me to reply to the latter (because the two do not go hand-in-hand when you consider Apple's engineering prowness)?

Typical TreoCentral moving target forum member, waffling about, not realizing or refusing to believe the iPhone will be an incredible product.

MarkEagle

Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
They know they can build a phone that people will want and will be willing to pay for it.
That's all Apple will have at the end of the day: a phone people want and will pay for.

The die hard fan base is going to embrace it simply because it's from Jobs & Co. and its overall performance in the real world isn't going to matter to them (or at least won't keep them from initially buying it).

That is why they are entering the market.
Even I can't blame 'em for jumpin' on the band wagon just to make a few quick bucks. ;)

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
That's all Apple will have at the end of the day: a phone people want and will pay for.
Ha! You say this like its a bad thing.

The die hard fan base is going to embrace it simply because it's from Jobs & Co. and its overall performance in the real world isn't going to matter to them (or at least won't keep them from initially buying it).
And the rest (that are not boycotting Apple for whatever dreamed up bone of contention they may have) will embrace it because it will be easy to use and more reliable than most, if not all, of the other phones on the market.

daThomas

Feb 4, 2004
AskTheCouch.com
Wait, which is it? "A non-replaceable battery will kill the iPhone" or "Battery life is the big limitation" for the iPhone.

I was replying to the former.

Do you also want me to reply to the latter (because the two do not go hand-in-hand when you consider Apple's engineering prowness)?

Typical TreoCentral moving target forum member, waffling about, not realizing or refusing to believe the iPhone will be an incredible product.

The former was in relation to the iPhone.

The latter was about technology in general. IE although moores law may apply to processing power, there is no such steady advancement regarding battery technology.

Malatesta

Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Just for point of reference: a ppc-6700 with the Seidio 3200mah extended battery can stream music over 3g (neither of which the iPhone can do, ahem) with the backlight on the entire time for 8 hours.

Imagine just phone and internet use with normal backlight? 20 hours?

Yes it's big but you asked. ;) But they wouldn't sell if there wasn't a market for them and people seem happy with that choice.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Oh brother! That is a rather ill-informed, doom-laden prognostication.

My phones, when on stand by. I'm not on the phone all day. I get most people off the phone within 5-10 minutes. If they can't figure out what they need to do within that time, I can't help them. Of course, personal blabbing does drain the battery. :D

I have the "luxury" of handling most stuff by email from my laptop, and not always on the Treo(or any other phone).

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
What about all the Treo users that leave their Treos for the new iPhone. You left that one out and it will make up a far greater percentage.

I don't even want to address the issue of Apple's superior power management that people here at TreoCentral are so inclined to ignore.

IMHO, not likely business people will dump BB and Treos entirely for the iPhone. People need to get work done. You get fired for surfing and watching videos all day and letting your battery run out, unless you're near the top. But even then, you need to receive important calls. What they'll do is get it as a 2nd phone.

I do think jet setters and fashionatas will jump on it.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
IMHO, not likely business people will dump BB and Treos entirely for the iPhone. People need to get work done. You get fired for surfing and watching videos all day and letting your battery run out, unless you're near the top. But even then, you need to receive important calls. What they'll do is get it as a 2nd phone.

I do think jet setters and fashionatas will jump on it.

I never said anything about BB owners. There is a certain mindset that one has that accompanies a BB purchase. That mindset does not hold with the Treo's and Palm will suffer because of it. Well, that and their inability to properly estimate the consumer.

See my post here from 2 years ago in regards to their 3% estimation of Apple users purchasing Palm products:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?p=697946#post697946

Feel free to peruse that thread Phone Diva because you will also note that I foresee Palm incorporating M$ Windows Mobile before anyone ever thought it was possible. 25% was more like it. They underestimated and only now will they learn of their mistake.

Just last week Morgan Stanley (financial institution) issued a report saying that:
"Palm's Treo phones may be at the greatest risk of all. Beyond sharing features and prices, Palm is also in the unfortunate position of having a disproportionately large number of Apple enthusiasts in its midst. Treo owners are twice as likely to own an iPod or Mac, according to a Morgan Stanley survey, and are much more likely to consider iPhones regardless of their existing Apple product ownership."

On top of that, Nokia's report, from last week as well, stated that "roughly 60 percent of premium phones are used for music on a regular basis". That gives Apple a huge advantage considering they have the number one player and the number one distribution system to back it up... and the number one retail channel... especially when you factor in Cingular.

To make matters worse (for other companies such as Palm that is), no current phone designer has the same kind of devoted fan base as Apple (unless you factor in the ferociousness of "surur" and "Malatesta" of TreoCentral fame :) ).

And this is to say nothing of the attractiveness and ease of use brought about with Apple's iPhone user interface.

archie

Oct 1, 2003
Visit site
My phones, when on stand by.
Well, yeh. I don't know what standby specs for the iPhone will be but they will obviously be more than 5 hours. My best guess, based on very crude arithmetic, would be 200 hours, possibly as low as 170ish but could be higher as well. This is just a guess though. I guess we'll see in 2 more months.

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
and i started by saying the thread was going off topic!!

so funny.....no one seems to want to wait until the first if not final iPhone version is released

everyone wants it now even though it's not available.....

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
I want to look at it, yes. :D
My one obstacle, ATT and their insistence on selling an expensive locked phone even with a 2 year contract. :censored:

Maybe Apple Store will have testers out like they do all products.

Back on topic somewhat: I've been missing a lot of the ads people say they saw. :( Maybe the ads will increase as June approaches.

Pearl_Diva

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Just last week Morgan Stanley (financial institution) issued a report saying that:
1. "Palm's Treo phones may be at the greatest risk of all. Beyond sharing features and prices, Palm is also in the unfortunate position of having a disproportionately large number of Apple enthusiasts in its midst. Treo owners are twice as likely to own an iPod or Mac, according to a Morgan Stanley survey, and are much more likely to consider iPhones regardless of their existing Apple product ownership."

2. On top of that, Nokia's report, from last week as well, stated that "roughly 60 percent of premium phones are used for music on a regular basis". That gives Apple a huge advantage considering they have the number one player and the number one distribution system to back it up... and the number one retail channel... especially when you factor in Cingular.

3. To make matters worse (for other companies such as Palm that is), no current phone designer has the same kind of devoted fan base as Apple (unless you factor in the ferociousness of "surur" and "Malatesta" of TreoCentral fame :) ).

And this is to say nothing of the attractiveness and ease of use brought about with Apple's iPhone user interface.

1. I disagree somewhat. Many Treo owners are also full QWERTY keyboard enthusiasts.

2. I'll say it again. The iPhone will still need to go down in price if people have to sign a 2 year contract. I agree Apple is in a prime position, but many Americans are still cheap when it comes to phones.

3. Sony Ericsson does if you look at HoFo. Sony Ericsson owners also have fan-like websites, LOL! I found 5 websites dedicated to SE lovers.