The iPod and friends miss their battery life claim all the time. Or rather, they "forget" to mention the high end is with almost no backlight usage and no changing through the menu. How many people don't change something and thus have the backlight on temporarily while listening?
    What? Apple's estimate for the 80GB iPod with video were and hour and a half shy of actual, real-life battery life! How is that missing their claim?

In regards to Apple's use of backlighting, it goes off after about 10 seconds of no use but can be adjusted to other lengths of time.
    03-09-2007 07:10 PM
    That's nothing more than brand loyalty. Some people will see the Apple logo and nothing else will matter.
    Speaking of loyalty and what matters. It was unfortunate, as Palm all but, abandoned Macusers the past 4-5 years with less than modest upgrades to the Palm Desktop on MacOS X. Palm was not loyal to Mac community. I think it's an over simplification to say that it is all brand loyalty. Thoughts?
    03-09-2007 07:22 PM
    Point of clarification: I stopped using my Palm 650 about 1 year ago and stopped using my 700wx about 6 weeks ago, having switched to a Moto Q. I also own a ppc-6700.

Surur also owns many devices and does not use Palm either. I think we're both tech-enthusiasts with very little company or product devotion. I'd buy a linux phone tomorrow if it did what I needed.
    Ahh. I kind of suspected but I mostly just used your names to add a bit of humor to the situation given its a Treo forum (read: no Palm loyalists).

In that sense we are the norm for technology, not Mac users who go just on brand loyalty alone or are locked into Mac interoperability.
    I would like to add that as a Mac user I am not locked into anything. I have more freedom than any Windows user or even Linux user. This goes for just about anything out there: web browsers (more than nine professionally developed browsers available for Mac OS X), music formats (AAC, MP3, VBR, WAV, AIFF CD audio, Apple Lossless, Ogg Vorbis, flac, MPEG4, h.264 and even bring in WMA files into iTunes), DRM freedoms (when DRM is used, Apple's Fairplay is more liberal than anything else available)... Photoshop plug-ins .

OK everything except for games. For that a person would have to be running Parallels, or some such alternative, on their Mac.

On that note, I would like to add that as a Mac user I can run Linux, Unix, SuSE, WINE... I could even run various flavors of the Windows OSes itself... if I wanted to; giving me far more choices than what you have available.
    03-09-2007 07:35 PM
    Speaking of loyalty and what matters. It was unfortunate, as Palm all but, abandoned Macusers the past 4-5 years with less than modest upgrades to the Palm Desktop on MacOS X. Palm was not loyal to Mac community. I think it's an over simplification to say that it is all brand loyalty. Thoughts?
    This is one of the many things that PalmSource failed to deliver to Palm after the hardware and software sides were spun into separate companies.
    03-09-2007 08:07 PM
    What? Apple's estimate for the 80GB iPod with video were and hour and a half shy of actual, real-life battery life! How is that missing their claim?

In regards to Apple's use of backlighting, it goes off after about 10 seconds of no use but can be adjusted to other lengths of time.

I have not had one iPod of any type go around 12 or more hrs. on audio like they claim. More like 7 at the most.

Video I haven't tried yet. I also don't have an 80, so can't comment on that either.
    03-10-2007 12:53 AM
    Promises, promises. Did you start your career as an IBM salesman?
    I know there are people still craving a colored unlocked. Did you place it officially for sale?
    03-10-2007 12:58 AM
    I bought a 30 GB Ipod video for my wife this Christmas, and she loves it, uses it every day, but never syncs it at all. If the IPhone is the coolest phone in the world I will buy it for her too. I myself will need stronger tools however.

Surur
    Can she get 12 hrs. of straight audio?
    03-10-2007 01:01 AM
    I would like to add that as a Mac user I am not locked into anything. I have more freedom than any Windows user or even Linux user. This goes for just about anything out there: web browsers (more than nine professionally developed browsers available for Mac OS X), music formats (AAC, MP3, VBR, WAV, AIFF CD audio, Apple Lossless, Ogg Vorbis, flac, MPEG4, h.264 and even bring in WMA files into iTunes), DRM freedoms (when DRM is used, Apple's Fairplay is more liberal than anything else available)... Photoshop plug-ins .
    You can use WMA in iTunes on OS X??? But you will never be able to transfer them to the iPod, right?
    03-10-2007 01:05 AM
    It is kind of sad that all of the enthusiasm among the TC community (save for Perry, who believes in the Treo 900) is for the iPhone. There are millions of people who will try one of anything with the Apple brand and no one left with any loyalty to "Palm" (whoever that is this week). Silly season is permanently over. Perry, where are you?
    Not just the iPhone, but many other models as well. Blackjack, Q and 8525 come to mind.
    03-10-2007 01:07 AM
    Can she get 12 hrs. of straight audio?
    Who really has 12 straight hours to listen to music? She just pops it into the speaker dock by the bedside at night, and then its fully charged the next morning. If she doesn't it will run out of juice somewhere along the line. Normal people dont really pay much attention to their electronics

Surur
    03-10-2007 03:07 AM
    Well I have used up 7 hrs. a few times, then the battery went dead.

I wanted to listen to music and didn't want neighbors knocking on the door complaining(it has happened before ), so I used my iPod.
    03-10-2007 03:17 AM
    Twelve hours is not very difficult when you are travelling. I've already listened to entire audio books in one trip because of layovers and delays. (Nothing like leaving DC at 6 AM and arriving in Hawaii at 4 AM local time. Glad my MP3 player runs on AAAs.)
    03-10-2007 08:44 AM
    Yeah, the full 12 would really come in handy on trips!
    03-10-2007 09:18 AM
    I think apple is gonna have a hard time with battery power being use up to quickly thanks to their big bright screen with constantly running tilt sensors.
    You think they'll have a hard time? The 680's battery life sucks and everyone seems to be fine with that. Why should we treat Apple any differently?

Dunc
    04-06-2007 08:44 AM
    ^^^how quickly other people forget....i think i posted the same earlier on....the retort? one can buy an extended battery or even carry multiple batteries on their person for those instances where they need them. if i was on extended biz travel then i suppose a removable battery could come into play but definately not on a day to day basis.

Dunc, your a voice of reason.
    04-06-2007 10:38 AM
    Samsung gives an extra battery with the blackjack, so its not such an outlandish idea.

Surur
    04-06-2007 11:14 AM
    But the iPhone will last twice as long as the Blackjack.

Anyway, if I am going to be traveling for an extended period of time, I would rather have one recharging battery pack that can charge ANY USB (or Firewire for that matter) device that I may have 5, 6, maybe 7 different chargings. This to me is more handy and usefull than having a removable battery.
    04-06-2007 11:29 AM
    But the iPhone will last twice as long as the Blackjack.
    Rated talk time on the Blackjack is 5.5 hours and the iPhone is 5 hours (and you always go by what the companies say), so I'm not sure how that's twice as much.

Also the Blackjack would get less battery life simply b/c it is actually a modern device with 3G/HSDPA, which is known battery drain, same with EvDo.

If you disable HSPDA (done through a simple tweak) and make it equal with the iPhone then you'll have an actual fair comparison.

Why should we treat Apple any differently?

Dunc
    They say they set their standards higher?

Maybe b/c they are claiming to "reinvent the phone"? Is it too much to expect better battery life?
    04-06-2007 02:30 PM
    Maybe b/c they are claiming to "reinvent the phone"? Is it too much to expect better battery life?
    Better battery life is so...StarTac! Tilt sensors and multi-touch are what voice communications are all about today!
    04-06-2007 05:50 PM
    Better battery life is so...StarTac! Tilt sensors and multi-touch are what voice communications are all about today!
    lol
    04-06-2007 06:02 PM
    Samsung gives an extra battery with the blackjack, so its not such an outlandish idea.

Surur
    you are correct, Samsung absolutely does as you say.

i say carrying around multiple batteries on one's person on a daily basis is absurd at best. silly. stupid. ridiculous.

say no to phones that come with two batteries out of the box.

but that's just me.
    04-08-2007 11:51 PM

i say carrying around multiple batteries on one's person on a daily basis is absurd at best. silly. stupid. ridiculous.

but that's just me.
    Since one must have two batteries for the 680 in any case, better out of the box than having to buy one in the after-market. Well, okay, I guess after market batteries are better than those from Palm.
    04-08-2007 11:57 PM

but that's just me.
    At least Samsung admits that one needs two batteries.
    04-08-2007 11:59 PM
    At least Samsung admits that one needs two batteries.
    Plus last I checked the Blackjack is still rated for higher battery life/talk time on a single battery than the iPhone coupled with the fact Samsung doesn't require you to carry two batteries around with you, so that makes the aforementioned argument a bit silly.

But it's a nice option for those who need it something the iPhone could not even offer if Apple wanted. Samsung will also be rolling out WM6 for the BJ for free -- a nice consideration on their part.

Fact is, going by what the iPhone is rated at for talk time, it is far from revolutionary and if anything is on par with what is out there today for non-3g devices. Real world tests will shed great light on this topic.
    04-09-2007 02:15 AM
    Since one must have two batteries for the 680 in any case, better out of the box than having to buy one in the after-market. Well, okay, I guess after market batteries are better than those from Palm.
    and a good reason why so many 680's made their way back to Palm.
    04-09-2007 08:01 AM
98 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD