Wait, which is it? "A non-replaceable battery will kill the iPhone" or "Battery life is the big limitation" for the iPhone.

I was replying to the former.

Do you also want me to reply to the latter (because the two do not go hand-in-hand when you consider Apple's engineering prowness)?

Typical TreoCentral moving target forum member, waffling about, not realizing or refusing to believe the iPhone will be an incredible product.
    03-08-2007 04:01 PM
    They know they can build a phone that people will want and will be willing to pay for it.
    That's all Apple will have at the end of the day: a phone people want and will pay for.

The die hard fan base is going to embrace it simply because it's from Jobs & Co. and its overall performance in the real world isn't going to matter to them (or at least won't keep them from initially buying it).

That is why they are entering the market.
    Even I can't blame 'em for jumpin' on the band wagon just to make a few quick bucks.
    03-08-2007 04:59 PM
    That's all Apple will have at the end of the day: a phone people want and will pay for.
    Ha! You say this like its a bad thing.

The die hard fan base is going to embrace it simply because it's from Jobs & Co. and its overall performance in the real world isn't going to matter to them (or at least won't keep them from initially buying it).
    And the rest (that are not boycotting Apple for whatever dreamed up bone of contention they may have) will embrace it because it will be easy to use and more reliable than most, if not all, of the other phones on the market.
    03-08-2007 05:26 PM
    Good question. Can it be worse than the Treo 680?
    No
    03-08-2007 05:27 PM
    You say this like its a bad thing.
    It is a bad thing if people are going to be lulled into the marketing hype and see nothing but that Apple logo.
    03-08-2007 06:01 PM
    Wait, which is it? "A non-replaceable battery will kill the iPhone" or "Battery life is the big limitation" for the iPhone.

I was replying to the former.

Do you also want me to reply to the latter (because the two do not go hand-in-hand when you consider Apple's engineering prowness)?

Typical TreoCentral moving target forum member, waffling about, not realizing or refusing to believe the iPhone will be an incredible product.
    The former was in relation to the iPhone.

The latter was about technology in general. IE although moores law may apply to processing power, there is no such steady advancement regarding battery technology.
    03-08-2007 06:03 PM
    And phone diva, 8-12 hours? What phone has that much battery power?
    Just for point of reference: a ppc-6700 with the Seidio 3200mah extended battery can stream music over 3g (neither of which the iPhone can do, ahem) with the backlight on the entire time for 8 hours.

Imagine just phone and internet use with normal backlight? 20 hours?

Yes it's big but you asked. But they wouldn't sell if there wasn't a market for them and people seem happy with that choice.
    03-08-2007 06:10 PM
    Good question. Can it be worse than the Treo 680?
    yes, because at least for those who need more power, they just need to pop in another battery into the 680.
    03-08-2007 10:17 PM
    Oh brother! That is a rather ill-informed, doom-laden prognostication.

And phone diva, 8-12 hours? What phone has that much battery power?
    My phones, when on stand by. I'm not on the phone all day. I get most people off the phone within 5-10 minutes. If they can't figure out what they need to do within that time, I can't help them. Of course, personal blabbing does drain the battery.

I have the "luxury" of handling most stuff by email from my laptop, and not always on the Treo(or any other phone).
    03-08-2007 10:56 PM
    What about all the Treo users that leave their Treos for the new iPhone. You left that one out and it will make up a far greater percentage.

I don't even want to address the issue of Apple's superior power management that people here at TreoCentral are so inclined to ignore.

IMHO, not likely business people will dump BB and Treos entirely for the iPhone. People need to get work done. You get fired for surfing and watching videos all day and letting your battery run out, unless you're near the top. But even then, you need to receive important calls. What they'll do is get it as a 2nd phone.

I do think jet setters and fashionatas will jump on it.
    03-08-2007 11:05 PM
    IMHO, not likely business people will dump BB and Treos entirely for the iPhone. People need to get work done. You get fired for surfing and watching videos all day and letting your battery run out, unless you're near the top. But even then, you need to receive important calls. What they'll do is get it as a 2nd phone.

I do think jet setters and fashionatas will jump on it.
    I never said anything about BB owners. There is a certain mindset that one has that accompanies a BB purchase. That mindset does not hold with the Treo's and Palm will suffer because of it. Well, that and their inability to properly estimate the consumer.

See my post here from 2 years ago in regards to their 3% estimation of Apple users purchasing Palm products:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...946#post697946

Feel free to peruse that thread Phone Diva because you will also note that I foresee Palm incorporating M$ Windows Mobile before anyone ever thought it was possible. 25% was more like it. They underestimated and only now will they learn of their mistake.

Just last week Morgan Stanley (financial institution) issued a report saying that:
    "Palm's Treo phones may be at the greatest risk of all. Beyond sharing features and prices, Palm is also in the unfortunate position of having a disproportionately large number of Apple enthusiasts in its midst. Treo owners are twice as likely to own an iPod or Mac, according to a Morgan Stanley survey, and are much more likely to consider iPhones regardless of their existing Apple product ownership."

On top of that, Nokia's report, from last week as well, stated that "roughly 60 percent of premium phones are used for music on a regular basis". That gives Apple a huge advantage considering they have the number one player and the number one distribution system to back it up... and the number one retail channel... especially when you factor in Cingular.

To make matters worse (for other companies such as Palm that is), no current phone designer has the same kind of devoted fan base as Apple (unless you factor in the ferociousness of "surur" and "Malatesta" of TreoCentral fame ).

And this is to say nothing of the attractiveness and ease of use brought about with Apple's iPhone user interface.
    03-09-2007 01:08 AM
    My phones, when on stand by.
    Well, yeh. I don't know what standby specs for the iPhone will be but they will obviously be more than 5 hours. My best guess, based on very crude arithmetic, would be 200 hours, possibly as low as 170ish but could be higher as well. This is just a guess though. I guess we'll see in 2 more months.
    03-09-2007 01:13 AM
    and i started by saying the thread was going off topic!!

so funny.....no one seems to want to wait until the first if not final iPhone version is released

everyone wants it now even though it's not available.....
    03-09-2007 01:30 AM
    I want to look at it, yes.
    My one obstacle, ATT and their insistence on selling an expensive locked phone even with a 2 year contract. :censored:

Maybe Apple Store will have testers out like they do all products.

Back on topic somewhat: I've been missing a lot of the ads people say they saw. Maybe the ads will increase as June approaches.
    03-09-2007 03:10 AM
    Just last week Morgan Stanley (financial institution) issued a report saying that:
    1. "Palm's Treo phones may be at the greatest risk of all. Beyond sharing features and prices, Palm is also in the unfortunate position of having a disproportionately large number of Apple enthusiasts in its midst. Treo owners are twice as likely to own an iPod or Mac, according to a Morgan Stanley survey, and are much more likely to consider iPhones regardless of their existing Apple product ownership."

2. On top of that, Nokia's report, from last week as well, stated that "roughly 60 percent of premium phones are used for music on a regular basis". That gives Apple a huge advantage considering they have the number one player and the number one distribution system to back it up... and the number one retail channel... especially when you factor in Cingular.

3. To make matters worse (for other companies such as Palm that is), no current phone designer has the same kind of devoted fan base as Apple (unless you factor in the ferociousness of "surur" and "Malatesta" of TreoCentral fame ).

And this is to say nothing of the attractiveness and ease of use brought about with Apple's iPhone user interface.
    1. I disagree somewhat. Many Treo owners are also full QWERTY keyboard enthusiasts.

2. I'll say it again. The iPhone will still need to go down in price if people have to sign a 2 year contract. I agree Apple is in a prime position, but many Americans are still cheap when it comes to phones.

3. Sony Ericsson does if you look at HoFo. Sony Ericsson owners also have fan-like websites, LOL! I found 5 websites dedicated to SE lovers.
    03-09-2007 05:38 AM
    "Palm's Treo phones may be at the greatest risk of all. Beyond sharing features and prices, Palm is also in the unfortunate position of having a disproportionately large number of Apple enthusiasts in its midst. Treo owners are twice as likely to own an iPod or Mac, according to a Morgan Stanley survey, and are much more likely to consider iPhones regardless of their existing Apple product ownership."
    That's nothing more than brand loyalty. Some people will see the Apple logo and nothing else will matter.
    03-09-2007 06:04 AM
    yes, because at least for those who need more power, they just need to pop in another battery into the 680.
    Agreed, one can do that. However, my comment was on the claims. I doubt that the iPhone will miss its claims by anywhere near the margins that the 680 did. Opinion.

If I throw in a Seidio extended life battery, will anyone make me an offer for my unused 680?
    03-09-2007 08:08 AM
    I'm sure no-one can be as devoted a fan as you :bow:

Gotten much over that persecution complex yet?

Surur
    03-09-2007 08:29 AM
    The iPod and friends miss their battery life claim all the time. Or rather, they "forget" to mention the high end is with almost no backlight usage and no changing through the menu. How many people don't change something and thus have the backlight on temporarily while listening?

If your(whmurray) 680 is unlocked and colored, I'm sure someone will want it since ATT hijacked the entire line!
    03-09-2007 08:43 AM
    I'm sure no-one can be as devoted a fan as you :bow:

Gotten much over that persecution complex yet?

Surur
    I wonder if he has a test unit or has access to one. Or is he just VERY optimistic about it? Some his claims, well you really need to use the phone to make them, IMO.

Ease of use may be one. I can never determine true ease of use just by watching someone else.
    03-09-2007 08:57 AM
    ........If your(whmurray) 680 is unlocked and colored, I'm sure someone will want it since ATT hijacked the entire line!
    Promises, promises. Did you start your career as an IBM salesman?
    03-09-2007 10:41 AM
    To make matters worse (for other companies such as Palm that is), no current phone designer has the same kind of devoted fan base as Apple (unless you factor in the ferociousness of "surur" and "Malatesta" of TreoCentral fame ).
    Point of clarification: I stopped using my Palm 650 about 1 year ago and stopped using my 700wx about 6 weeks ago, having switched to a Moto Q. I also own a ppc-6700.

Surur also owns many devices and does not use Palm either. I think we're both tech-enthusiasts with very little company or product devotion. I'd buy a linux phone tomorrow if it did what I needed.

In that sense we are the norm for technology, not Mac users who go just on brand loyalty alone or are locked into Mac interoperability. Having said that Mac computer users still command a tiny percent of the market and iPod users can actually live independently of the Mac-system (even I own a nano).
    03-09-2007 11:31 AM
    Point of clarification: I stopped using my Palm 650 about 1 year ago and stopped using my 700wx about 6 weeks ago, having switched to a Moto Q. I also own a ppc-6700.

Surur also owns many devices and does not use Palm either. I think we're both tech-enthusiasts with very little company or product devotion. I'd buy a linux phone tomorrow if it did what I needed.

In that sense we are the norm for technology, not Mac users who go just on brand loyalty alone or are locked into Mac interoperability. Having said that Mac computer users still command a tiny percent of the market and iPod users can actually live independently of the Mac-system (even I own a nano).
    I have had four Handspring devices since my last Nokia (GSM) or my last Motorola (Sprint). My last Palm was a Palm Vx. Since then Palm has reorganized at least three times, more depending on how one counts. Any brand loyalty that I might have had was to Handspring, Treo, or POS.

It is kind of sad that all of the enthusiasm among the TC community (save for Perry, who believes in the Treo 900) is for the iPhone. There are millions of people who will try one of anything with the Apple brand and no one left with any loyalty to "Palm" (whoever that is this week). Silly season is permanently over. Perry, where are you?
    03-09-2007 01:17 PM
    I bought a 30 GB Ipod video for my wife this Christmas, and she loves it, uses it every day, but never syncs it at all. If the IPhone is the coolest phone in the world I will buy it for her too. I myself will need stronger tools however.

Surur
    03-09-2007 02:01 PM
    That's nothing more than brand loyalty. Some people will see the Apple logo and nothing else will matter.
    Maybe... but your missing the point. It's a large, unseen and incorrectly calculated/measured percentage that will be taken away... a percentage of dedicated Apple loyalists that Palm took for granted and will no longer have.
    03-09-2007 07:08 PM
98 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD