I dont know if its rad or sad, but this person has certainly put A LOT of effort into turning his PocketPC Phone into an IPhone, and so far pretty successfully too.

Watch the iPhone interface running on a Pocket PC
    Cor, I can't wait till the iPhone comes out, with its swizzy touch-screen interface, the like of which hasn't been seen on any mobile device ever before, ever. But hang on, what's this below? Some bloke's fiddled with their E-TEN M600 Pocket PC to make it identical to an iPhone including the tactile UI and iPod music app? D'oh!

http://techdigest.tv/2007/02/watch_the_iphon.html
    There is no taking away from Apple's design flair, but their innovations appear incredibly easy to copy. It makes one wonder why it took them so long to bring it to market.

Surur
    02-26-2007 05:29 PM
    lol

it's both rad and sad. I am impressed with how well they mimicked those features and his device sure seemed speedy.

If just a proof-of-concept that WM is flexible enough to emulate most functions, it sure accomplished that task.
    02-26-2007 05:47 PM
    I say kudos to the guy for being able to make software like this, opens up more options for us. Malatesta and to the others is sad because he spent time to make his phone look like the iPhone?
    02-26-2007 05:51 PM
    Its a bit sad that its just another copy, and not original designs.

The obvious answer is that if he wanted an IPhone so much, why not just buy one, but from his accent he's European, and wont get it for a year at least, and of course the IPhone lacks in some areas which he may be concerned about.

But its rad because he is clearly a very talented programmer, who seems to have copied many of Apple's much touted features with ease. Kudos to him for that.

Surur
    02-26-2007 07:07 PM
    There is no taking away from Apple's design flair, but their innovations appear incredibly easy to copy. It makes one wonder why it took them so long to bring it to market.

Surur
    To be fair, this is only a few of its "innovations." We won't know exactly how much is left until the phone hits market. And the "ppod" program can't compare to the album art/scroll UI that the iPhone will have...
    02-26-2007 09:38 PM
    True, and there's probably 100's of other smaller touches around also contributing to the look and feel.

Surur
    02-27-2007 02:23 AM
    He got the MultiTouch UI running on a Windows phone? Ummm no.
    02-27-2007 11:41 AM
    He got the MultiTouch UI running on a Windows phone? Ummm no.
    iceman, we're quite well aware that this doesn't have everything the iPhone has as discussed right above your post. It also didn't say "Apple" on his phone either but thanks for pointing out the obvious. But considering the iPhone isn't out for another 4 months this is impressive from a programmer standpoint.
    02-27-2007 12:19 PM
    Wow, it would be cool to have that level of understanding of the ppc os. I'd install that interface on my 8125 and smile every time I used it. Wonder if there are any plans to make it available...
    02-27-2007 01:02 PM
    surur, I agree it's a great hack. I was just reacting to your comment that Apple's "innovations appear incredibly easy to copy." He's using an iPhone skin with large icons for the applications. Big whoop. The iTunes copy is very fun. But there's so much more to the iPhones UI than those two features.
    02-27-2007 01:38 PM
    Still, what he did is amazing. I like the flick-scroll too, probably the most remarkable thing he was able to replicate IMO
    02-27-2007 01:55 PM
    It's certainly clever but every time he opened an app it just made me think how ugly and cluttered the WM UI is compared to the (copied) iPhone screens he'd just left.
    02-27-2007 01:57 PM
    surur, I agree it's a great hack. I was just reacting to your comment that Apple's "innovations appear incredibly easy to copy." He's using an iPhone skin with large icons for the applications. Big whoop. The iTunes copy is very fun. But there's so much more to the iPhones UI than those two features.
    I assume multi-touch is as much hardware as software, and with Apple having bought the patents its not likely to show up anywhere else soon.

Surur
    02-27-2007 02:01 PM
    Think that's pretty cool for a guy w/o a multi-billion dollar organisation behind him
    02-27-2007 02:16 PM
    To be fair, this is only a few of its "innovations." We won't know exactly how much is left until the phone hits market. And the "ppod" program can't compare to the album art/scroll UI that the iPhone will have...
    Give it time and something very close to that will be added too.
    02-27-2007 07:56 PM
    It's certainly clever but every time he opened an app it just made me think how ugly and cluttered the WM UI is compared to the (copied) iPhone screens he'd just left.
    This is true, but that is because it is stylus-centric, which obviously allows for a higher density of control elements. If you are going to be finger centric obviously you will have less on the screen, with wider separation between elements due to reduced accuracy. One wonders if having less on the screen has any productivity implications.

Surur
    02-27-2007 08:36 PM
    This is true, but that is because it is stylus-centric, which obviously allows for a higher density of control elements. If you are going to be finger centric obviously you will have less on the screen, with wider separation between elements due to reduced accuracy. One wonders if having less on the screen has any productivity implications.
    Plus there are aren't hidden, pop-up menus in the way there are in the Palm, WM and Symbian UIs so everything has to be shown on the main displays. The iPhone UI mostly seem to rely on on-screen option buttons at the bottom of the screen and these open a new display. It seems to me that this works very well for the apps demoed at www.apple.com/iphone/ but it remains to be seen if this will be good for all apps. It does make for a very simple, clean and attractive UI (IMHO) that should be easy and quick to use. If they can make it at least as functional as the UIs on the competing OSs that would be a real triumph for Apple and might well have profound effects on what Microsoft, Nokia, Palm et al. offer us.

Big question though: even if it's a real logistical and aesthetic triumph, will people like it? A finger-based, touch-screen UI is really quite different to anything most people will have used before. It's possible to imagine people really taking to it and it being a real success, but it's equally easy to imagine people finding it just plain odd and unusual and not wanting to bother. I'd guess both camps will be populated, but where will the balance lie?
    02-28-2007 06:35 AM
    To play devil's advocate, the Nintendo DS is doing very very well, and its main innovation is the touch screen, so maybe this is the "touch generation".

Apple says its reaching out to the people intimidated by smarter phones, and I can see their point. I just hope when others emulate them they do not remove all the advanced options which more dedicated users like.

Surur
    02-28-2007 07:41 AM
    Impressive! (Someone said there they saw multi-touch stuff going on, I only saw scrolling.) But still impressive. I'll wait for the real thing, but impressive.
    02-28-2007 11:26 AM
    I dont know if its rad or sad, but this person has certainly put A LOT of effort into turning his PocketPC Phone into an IPhone, and so far pretty successfully too.

Surur
    Don't you wonder why Palm or Microsoft didn't bring it to market sooner? I find it incredibly thick-headed to belittle and cast doubt upon Apple for bringing some new interface element to the table only then to praise the attempts of others trying to copy it.

The only thing this guy did was change the instructions for scrolling. Instead of relying on a constant input, he merely instructed/programmed the handheld to continue scrolling until stopped with another touch of the screen.

This is something that actually takes less processing power.

Everything else is just a visual copy of graphics.
    02-28-2007 11:48 AM
    I assume multi-touch is as much hardware as software, and with Apple having bought the patents its not likely to show up anywhere else soon.

Surur
    This is not true.

See this discussion (with supporting links).
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=134414
    02-28-2007 11:49 AM

Surur
    "Obviously" your FUD campaign has approached new levels.
    The iPhone incorporates smooth scrolling, scalability and variability. This is not something accomplished through reduced "density of control elements". These interface characteristics, and their technologies, needs these... ummmm... "control elements" for every pixel on the screen.

Obviously the use of a stylus allows for a higher density of control elements?????? This sentence doesn't mean anything. You are so deeply threatened by the iPhone that you probably don't even realize how you take offense and then attempt to defend.

And is it really obvious that using your finger mean less on the screen? This is not rational.
    I personally do not "wonder" if the iPhone will be less productive because it has less on the screen.

And finally, I do not care for your insinuation that the iPhone is less productive because it "has less on the screen". I can only hope that others will see through your BS.
    02-28-2007 11:58 AM
    I'm curious about something. Why in the world are you taking all of this so personally, archie? Unless you personally designed all or, at least aspects of the iPhone, your incredibly defensive attitude is sorely misplaced. The iPhone is an innovative product - if only in it's offering lots of UI components that seem very intuitive. I suspect there's lots more to it than that, but like nearly everyone else, I'll have to wait until June to see it.

There's no arguing that the person who "copied" the iPhone UI on his WinMo device did a good job, and looks nice in the video.

Frankly I don't see any advantage to arguing points regarding this device unless you have A LOT of time to waste, and you enjoy trying to be provocative. I've seen no new information released from either Apple or Cingular regarding the device, so everything that anyone has to say (other than what was shown in the product intro) is purely speculative. To get upset over someone's remarks that it isn't up to their standards, or whatever, is really wierd, man - even from someone who has escalated the argument to insults as seen in other threads. That seems to have abated. Do you really want to start that junk here?

Is there a moderator in the house? When did this stop being fun?

:thumbsdn:
    02-28-2007 12:42 PM
    Don't you wonder why Palm or Microsoft didn't bring it to market sooner? I find it incredibly thick-headed to belittle and cast doubt upon Apple for bringing some new interface element to the table only then to praise the attempts of others trying to copy it.
    Maybe Palm and MS have their own separate visions?

The only thing this guy did was change the instructions for scrolling. Instead of relying on a constant input, he merely instructed/programmed the handheld to continue scrolling until stopped with another touch of the screen.

This is something that actually takes less processing power.

Everything else is just a visual copy of graphics.
    Actually he also implemented the inertia feature too.

Either way, the fact that the scrolling is a trivial programming challenge should make you re-assess your view of Apple's programming prowess also.

Surur
    02-28-2007 12:44 PM
    This is not true.

See this discussion (with supporting links).
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=134414
    But that's what MultiTouch is comprised of: software and hardware.

Fingerworks developed the basic software and hardware interface, sold the techonlogy for years for mousing and interfacing with desktop computers under the name "MultiTouch". Apple bought the company and the patents and then adapted it for touch-screens, which we now find in the iPhone.

So you need the hardware (screen with sensors) and the software (translates the touches to commands) in one device, so how is what Surur said not true?
    And what Surur means about higher density of control elements with a stylus, if I may re-state is that with a stylus, you have a very precise tool for pointing to objects on a screen, so you can have small "boxes" and "selectable elements" with a stylus but you need larger elements with for finger-centric devices.

I think that is obvious and is not a put down or accolades either, it just is. Therefore, presumaly you'll have "less" on the screen that you can select via your fingers. Does that matter? Who knows. But you need stuff on the screen that is larger enough to select with your finger and they have to seperated enough to not overlap. Granted, multitouch helps in this area, to what extent we do not yet know.

But that is why a WM5 style-centric device "looks" more cluttered than an iPhone and I think that is obvious and not at all controversial.
    02-28-2007 05:40 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD