I had a meeting with someone today, an aquaintance, that I will say runs a business heavily dependant on real time video streaming, who claims they are in talks with Apple to release a 3G iphone not long after the iphone releases. My friends technology requires nothing less than 3 G.
    While the version I am talking about probably will probably release in the next 2 years, the 3G version should be soon after the original version.

I don't want an iphone in its current version but I thought I would release that tidbit for those drooling for one.
    01-31-2007 04:42 PM
    Are they going to strip the wifi off the 3G version? Cingular has a bad habit of requesting that.
    01-31-2007 08:47 PM
    I had a meeting with someone today, an aquaintance, that I will say runs a business heavily dependant on real time video streaming, who claims they are in talks with Apple to release a 3G iphone not long after the iphone releases. My friends technology requires nothing less than 3 G.
    While the version I am talking about probably will probably release in the next 2 years, the 3G version should be soon after the original version.

I don't want an iphone in its current version but I thought I would release that tidbit for those drooling for one.
    Man, I was all set to get one the first day it's released...if a 3G version comes out shortly afterwards, I'll be one pissed camper...
    01-31-2007 09:56 PM
    So wait until September, when Apple also likes to release new products. Just in case.
    02-01-2007 05:02 AM
    Man, I was all set to get one the first day it's released...if a 3G version comes out shortly afterwards, I'll be one pissed camper...
    what does soon mean?

why put out a non 3g phone, only to put out a 3g phone 3 months later.

does this sound like apple? who come out with new model every 12-18 months.
    02-01-2007 08:20 AM
    Are they going to strip the wifi off the 3G version? Cingular has a bad habit of requesting that.
    They may have to take the wifi receiver out to put the UMTS modem in...I could see that happening.
    02-01-2007 01:36 PM
    They may have to take the wifi receiver out to put the UMTS modem in...I could see that happening.
    The HTC Cavalier has both WIFI and UMTS at the same time. They dont HAVE to do anything. Wont stop them though, and wont stop them from making excuses about it. They did the same thing to the Samsung Blackjack.

Surur
    02-01-2007 01:55 PM
    So wait until September, when Apple also likes to release new products. Just in case.
    By then 16GB SDHD cards should be available, so the existing^w currently planned iPhone will look really out of date in another respect!
    02-01-2007 02:16 PM
    The HTC Cavalier has both WIFI and UMTS at the same time. They dont HAVE to do anything. Wont stop them though, and wont stop them from making excuses about it. They did the same thing to the Samsung Blackjack.

Surur
    I said they MAY have to...I was talking about space limitations. My TyTn has both also, and a touchscreen, but its not the iPhone so I don't see what the relevance is. Cavalier has no touchscreen, so you cannot compare sizes if thats what you meant.
    02-01-2007 02:19 PM
    By then 16GB SDHD cards should be available, so the existing^w currently planned iPhone will look really out of date in another respect!
    For how much though? And can't those only be used on newer devices?
    02-01-2007 02:35 PM
    what does soon mean?

Well if we are talking Ipod, they have moved to the every 3-6 month mode now. Shuffle colors just released.
    02-01-2007 06:17 PM
    so we'll be able to get our hands wet with the first release, return it, and then get the 3g version soon thereafter. at least we'll have a good idea by then if we would want to own either one of them.
    02-01-2007 06:26 PM
    For how much though? And can't those only be used on newer devices?
    It's a moot point. The real point is you can only expand the iPhone's available memory by buying a new iPhone instead of just buying a new memory chip - a chip you can (likely) use in your next phone too.
    02-02-2007 07:33 AM
    a chip you can (likely) use in your next phone too.
    You'd think that but I'm losing faith in the whole concept. I replaced a Treo 650 (SD) with a Nokia E61 (miniSD) and was thinking I might replace that with an E61i (microSD). I bet the device after that will have nanoSDHD or some-such You can see why the flash card manufacturers are doing this but I wish those designing and making phones hadn't bought into this forced 'upgrade' nonsense.
    02-02-2007 07:59 AM
    You'd think that but I'm losing faith in the whole concept. I replaced a Treo 650 (SD) with a Nokia E61 (miniSD) and was thinking I might replace that with an E61i (microSD). I bet the device after that will have nanoSDHD or some-such You can see why the flash card manufacturers are doing this but I wish those designing and making phones hadn't bought into this forced 'upgrade' nonsense.
    Bummer..which is why the treo 680 is good for me...I can use these same cars in my Nikon 5200 if I want to ...of course if I ever upgrade to a smaller thinner camera with microSD then I may have to change my phone too
    02-02-2007 08:05 AM
    I am always surprised by this worry about card differences.

I have Compact flash that now cost me $19 for 2 GB for my Eos
    SD that cost the same for my compact camers
    and 2 gb Mini SD cost me $23.. whats the big deal?
    02-02-2007 02:28 PM
    When's the E61i coming? MicroSD, huh? Everything is getting way too small, LOL! I like mini, but micro is SOOO small. Someone on HoFo claimed they swallowed their's!
    02-02-2007 03:20 PM
    I am always surprised by this worry about card differences.

I have Compact flash that now cost me $19 for 2 GB for my Eos
    SD that cost the same for my compact camers
    and 2 gb Mini SD cost me $23.. whats the big deal?
    If using in a phone, it's a hassle to keep moving your stuff from one card to another. Plus constantly having to buy a new card. And the new cards are usually expensive. I don't know what type of miniSD you have, but 2GB generally is around or over $40 everywhere I look. I want high speed, so it will be about $45-$55(or maybe even higher, I think that's for 1GB high speed) online from what I've seen.
    02-02-2007 03:29 PM
    what does soon mean?

I wouldn't count on a new 3G phone too soon. Cingular DOES have a 3G network called BroadbandConnect... or "MediaNet" if you buy Cingular's associated Cingular Video service - in a FEW cities (more in the future for sure). But, it is based on RealVideo, NOT QuickTime or H.264 like Sprint PCS or the iTunes Store.

Check my posts from years back in regards to RealVideo. Basically, I detail why RealVideo is bad and h.264 is good.

Anyway...

Apple wants the iPhone to get its content primarily through iTunes, ideally by syncing with a Mac or Windows PC. Apple doesn't like the Cingular Video solution and doesn't want its customers to know it exists, much less use it... with good reason. It is simply the most awful experience ever made available to consumers.

But it would be very hard to introduce a true 3G iPhone and then have Cingular promote it strongly, only to say that it can't be used to view the mobile carrier's own video content. So instead Apple falls back to the slower EDGE network which inturn makes iPhone customers use iTunes to get most of their higher-resolution video.

So what it comes down to is this; Cingular wants the iPhone exclusive. Apple doesn't want Cingular Video. So the only elegant way around that problem is to make the iPhone incapable of operating on the 3G network.

Cingular wants video to succeed on their 3G and 4G platforms because it means a huge source of revenue. Apple's iPhone is the best handset yet for displaying that video. But Apple isn't going to allow it to happen without their QuickTime Server solution and the iTS being in the equation.

The market's ecstatic response to the iPhone will put strong pressure on Cingular. They will see a huge surge in new contracts contributed to the iPhone and then realize they should be accomodating to Apple. But only then will we see the iPhone suddenly become faster on a 3G network.
    02-02-2007 07:23 PM
    LOL.

What if the radio is there all along.

3-6 months later - they sell a billable IMEI printed patch to your phone - enabling the broadband for existing clients on their network - but charging for it.

That way, they lower the entry level price to get into the thing - and then recap on the backend with the upgrades.

I know. Not gonna happen.
    02-03-2007 02:17 AM
    So what it comes down to is this; Cingular wants the iPhone exclusive. Apple doesn't want Cingular Video. So the only elegant way around that problem is to make the iPhone incapable of operating on the 3G network.
    Interesting thoughts, but I don't think they're really supported by facts. Palm 750 is 3G and it doesn't seem to support Cingular Video. Same is true about the Cingular 8525. Samsung Blackjack is the only 3G smartphone that does.
    02-03-2007 02:22 AM
    So much for that theory then. Could a more prosaic reason be than Apple just was not ready, but launched in any case, knowing fans will lap it up no matter how behind the times it was?

Surur
    02-03-2007 03:17 AM
    When's the E61i coming?
    3GSM is week after next. Hopefully we'll know a bit more then.

http://3gsmworldcongress.com/index.asp

MicroSD, huh? Everything is getting way too small, LOL! I like mini, but micro is SOOO small. Someone on HoFo claimed they swallowed their's!
    LOL. What was he/she doing?
    02-03-2007 04:28 AM
    I want high speed, so it will be about $45-$55(or maybe even higher, I think that's for 1GB high speed) online from what I've seen.
    Faster is better! The 2GB Sandisk Ultra II miniSD I have now cost me a little over 30 ($60). That's three times the upfront payment for the phone.
    02-03-2007 04:45 AM
    sbono13, suror

I am not trying to disillusion anyone here. I am anonymous here and have nothing to gain.

If you want supporting facts from this post of mine from 3 weeks ago, check this article from yesterday:

http://www.moneyweb.co.za/mw/view/mw...1939&sn=Detail

or this one:

http://online.wsj.com/public/article...html?mod=blogs

The key point I would like to address is in the sentance that reads: "John Stratton, was firm that Verizon wouldn't give up its ability to sell content like music and videos through its proprietary V Cast service."

What do you know, It seems I was correct.

Suror, I would appreciate you refraining from declaring what is fact based on other's mere opinions in an effort to sustain your ulterior motives.
    02-22-2007 02:20 PM
92 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD